R.I.P. VHS

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by JamesMike, Jul 22, 2016.

1. Zenithal macrumors 68040

I still own a few VHS players new in the box I got through a liquidation sale after Circuit City began running sales.

2. Tech198, Jul 22, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2016

Tech198 macrumors G4

Yep... Even though it was bad quality, (or good back then), at least u could easily record stuff for personal use... over RCA. (Yellow, White, Red) and component.

Unlike now, with HDCP protection.

Still have my VHS somewhere gathering dust in a cupboard.... I think it still works. i thew out all VHS tapes when converted to DVD.

3. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Funnily enough, I'm actually in the market for a VHS player.

Back in the days when MTV and VH1 actually played music videos (roll with it, Europeans; I know they still do over there, but in the US, they haven't since the 90s), I filled up 3 tapes of nothing but classic music videos that I'd love to have converted. I'd try to take them to Costco or somewhere, but hey not only only go up to a certain limit (2 hours at the most, while these are 8 to 10-hour tapes), but as the videos are contiguous, they could be cut off right in the middle of a clip. And seeing that the cost to have someone convert them would be less than the cost of a VCR, it would be cheaper to do it myself, and get it right.

So... anyone know where I can find a VCR to use for a couple of days? :)

BL.

4. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Wow, seems like just yesterday VHS and Betamax were duking it out for supremacy...

5. chown33 macrumors 604

LaserDisc has clearly superior video and audio clarity. Tape is for losers.

6. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I'm one of those who never mastered the insanely complicated programming of the VHS machine. Pressing 'record' (at a set pre-arranged time for my brother's football matches while he was in the pub) and 'play' (for when he had recorded STNG for me) were the height of my abilities in that regard.

And now, a medium that was once cutting edge, and that I never partially - let alone fully - mastered - is obsolete. Good grief.

But I cannot count the number of STNG episodes which I first saw on VHS......and the thrill of replaying favourite scenes.....(well, yes, clearly the 'rewind' button was included in my repertoire, too).....

Yes, @mobilehaathi, I remember the VHS and Betamax wars; most of the stuff I read at the time suggested that Betamax was the better and more technologically advanced formant, but -for a variety of reasons, most of which I never fully understood - VHS won out; we held off investing in this technology until it became clear just which of them were likely to emerge the winner.

Great thread, @JamesMike and thanks for starting it.

7. b0fh666 macrumors 6502a

b0fh666

8. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Heh, I, uh, may have a few dozen tapes full of ST:TNG episodes laying around somewhere...:oops:

9. millerj123 macrumors 6502a

Please be kind...REWIND!

Anyone have a Blu ray rewinder?

10. senseless macrumors 68000

senseless

These were expensive playthings when they came out. $1000 average price (double that for todays dollars). Blank tapes were $25 each. Then there was the 40 pound "portable" docking recorder that you could connect a video camera to and shoot outdoors.

11. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

All my matches are on vhs except for a few that someone burned onto DVD for me. I have them all in a case in my weight room but don't even own a vhs player anymore. A passing of an era.

12. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I still have a bunch of tapes in boxes. Don't have a player any more.

13. jbachandouris macrumors 68040

jbachandouris

I have a DVDR + VHS combo. Kids still have a few VHS tapes yet I haven't seen them use them in a long time.

My son prefers Apple TV. No previews to skip through.

14. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

It was all about time shifting programming and sharing with friends that lacked cable.

15. dec. Suspended

dec.

16. Zenithal macrumors 68040

As a fan of tech, I too like @Scepticalscribe never mastered much of it apart from the basics. The first DVDs I ever bought were Ronin and Godzilla. The first two DVD players I owned were Sony's and weren't that great in terms of longevity. Later units were better. I still buy DVDs and or Blurays, whichever is available and better.

17. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

My wife is holding on to a bunch of tapes, perhaps I can convince her to dump them now - news of no one making the players is a compelling reason to clean house :D

18. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

It may depend on what has been taped on them.

If it is something personal, (for example, a family member on TV) I imagine that this would be a good reason to keep a particular tape.

19. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

No, they're just movies that my wife bought over the years. Thanks to on demand, and having no VHS player (for close to 8 years), I think its safe we can dump them.

20. Roller macrumors 68020

Ahh, good old VHS recorders. The flashing "12:00" became an icon for the technologically-challenged, but in reality it highlighted the confusing user interfaces on those machines. I remember what a pain it was to program my VCR to record shows on specific days, for example.

I discarded most of my VHS tapes over the years because much of the commercial content had become available digitally or wasn't worth keeping. Not so for personal recordings that go back to the late-80s. A few years ago I started to digitize VHS and 8 mm tapes while I still can with equipment I have on hand. I've also digitized many of my 35 mm slides.

There's an interesting parallel with computer files. As time goes on, it gets harder to open text and other documents that were created with obsolete apps or ancient versions of software like MS Word. I've converted some of those, too.

21. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

22. D.T. macrumors 603

D.T.

Heck, I've got a nice Sony, slightly high-er ish end (it had the system that used special labels to go to specific indexes on tapes) ... anyway, if you were close, you'd be totally welcome to it.

23. redAPPLE macrumors 68030

redAPPLE

i heard the reason VHS won, was because the p0rn industry supported it...

24. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

We got rid of our VHS Player 10 years ago.
    The most shocking part of this story to me was that anybody was still making them.
    Or that 750,000 people bought one last year!

We have blue ray and DVR recorder built into one, but also watch catch up Tv etc.