Raccoon be gone...

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by obeygiant, Mar 28, 2011.

1. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

[​IMG]

So this guy has been trouncing around my attic for about a week. Ripping everything up.
    I had to call a service to lure and trap him. He was getting in through an attic fan on my roof
    which he all but destroyed.

[​IMG]

We're hoping he didn't have a mate still in the attic having a litter. (OMG I'd be so pissed)
    After they've been trapped the service takes them
    to some wildlife area and lets them go. I wouldn't have been so nice.

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

3. obeygiant, Mar 28, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2011

obeygiant thread starter macrumors 68040

obeygiant

I know. It will be changed soon.

4. mscriv, Mar 28, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2011

mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

C'mon, look at those sad eyes and the way he's crossing his paws as if to say "I'm sorry". He didn't mean any harm I'm sure... :)

5. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

He sure does look cute in that cage but yes, they can certainly be ornery critters.

6. obeygiant thread starter macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Yeah, I took a nice portrait of him. But Mr. Evil Raccoonface was hissing and lunging at me in between picts. He's a bastard.

7. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

The poor thing looks so grounded.... setting him free? Obviously near the house of an enemy or hated neighbor.....

8. obeygiant thread starter macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Update...

caught another raccoon, probably a female

[​IMG]

plus an added bonus..

[​IMG]

muahaha

although its $69 for each animal I catch to remove them.

9. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

$69n to catch and remove them and you found 3 in your attic? You need to put something around that vent that is more animal proof man!

It makes me want to go out and check my attic for possible entry points. That would drive me up a wall. I have a **** ton of crap up in my attic (mostly product boxes and such) but yikes!

All I know is Raccoons have successfully managed to eat at least 5 Coi fish from my parents' pond. The cost of a Coi fish is absurd, that Raccoon should be kicked around. His last treat were two love birds. :D

10. obeygiant thread starter macrumors 68040

obeygiant

All the vents have been covered except their primary entry point. I think this female was inside and preparing to have a litter, but since we caught her mate she came out to investigate and we trapped her. We're just going to wait a couple more days to cover the last vent. The other thing I think was just living under the deck.

11. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

You know, there are areas of the country where you could have a rather nice buffet dinner.

You need to get wire mesh to critter-proof your entry points. (Sorry, notice you've taken care of this)

12. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

If you do shoot and skin it will you make me a cute hat?

13. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

Wildlife area? ... yeah like your backyard at night ... at $69 for each critter

nothing beats repeat business

14. obeygiant thread starter macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Well maybe. :D Although the first one we caught I was ready to send him over to Will It Blend.

Yeah, I was thinking that too. However I think I trust this guy-- its a family run business. And he's licensed with the department of natural resources and they have some wild life refuge up north somewhere that they let them go at. Also the one we caught today clearly isn't the same critter.

15. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

Hey now, I understand you're upset, but there's no reason to talk bad about his family heritage. ;)

16. Mousse, Mar 30, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2011

Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

That last one looks like a possum. They're pretty harmless (as in the won't damage your property or kill you pets like a raccoon would). You can just release them behind your house and save $69. It'll wander off and never bother you again. I caught one before, while trying to trap some feral cats (my backyard ain't a kitty litter dag nabbit). I left the trap open, it left and I never saw it again.:)

17. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Wow, another one and bonus?! Lol, also, I see the avatar is gone. Might I suggest .jessica's remarks. Skin the first one!:D I kid, I kid!

18. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Kudos, obeygiant for actually trapping them, and having them set free instead of just putting out some poison to kill them.

19. obeygiant thread starter macrumors 68040

obeygiant

That second raccoon turned out to be another male. And clues point to how they were able to get onto the roof by using the brick chimney.
    [​IMG]

20. obeygiant thread starter macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Yeah thanks. Although it hasn't been cheap. I'm pushing $800 for new vent coverings, traps, and professional removal. I'm only leaving the traps out for another few days.

21. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

where there's one, there are always more!

My mother trapped 16 of them in her yard one summer. They loved the grapes she was growing on a trellis over her patio.

The raccoons stopped after she got rid of the grape vines.

22. obeygiant thread starter macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Caught #3 this morning...

[​IMG]

I guess my milkshake brings all the raccoons to my yard since I don't have any grapes growing...

23. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Instead of spending money to have them removed, just hang a sign out front and make money by charging admission to see your zoo!

24. obeygiant thread starter macrumors 68040

obeygiant

I know right! Come and see my three raccoons and opossum. Actually the most entertaining thing that happened was when the service guy came to pick up the two critters he consolidated the two into the same cage and they wrestled around for a minute. I took a video-- I hope I'm not turning into Michael Vick!

25. padmasana macrumors member

padmasana

I've had the same problem with squirrels sneaking in and it's a challenge to get everything in a 100 year old house sealed up well enough to keep them out.
    Those varmits will find the hole you missed, or they'll just chew out a new one. I thought I had sealed up everything well with a strong steel mesh but one got in and perished this January beneath the attic's floor. (Freeze/thaw cycles are HELL on a corpse, might I add). At least I got everything sealed before they chewed through any electrical lines.
    Good luck ... this kind of stuff will keep you up at night listening for little feet running across the floors.