Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CrAkD

macrumors 68040
Feb 15, 2010
Boston, MA
your user name doesnt help but, with some ipods when its switched on and you rub your hand down the metal case u can feel the charge thourgh it, alsmost feels like your finger is viberating while moving it along the case.

your not mental, maybe just sensitive x

lol you completely lost me on this. My ipod is plastic. never felt a "charge" however sometimes I think I got a text msg cause my leg vibrated then I realize my phone isnt in my pocket :eek:

P.S. I think everyone is being SUPER dramatic now.

tritonj

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2008
the tingling sensation isn't from the phone, it's Joe Pesci hitting you with a bat

lol, damn i miss George Carlin

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
Wow.
I totally wasn't going to mention this as I thought it was just me....

...I noticed this the first 5 minutes I had my iPhone 4.

Not happy about it.

The iPhone 4 basically REQUIRES a rubber bumper or case...
...and thus a basic black Bumper should be included for free.

Reactions: Lauries

Amnesia87

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2010
Hey all,

Anyone one else experience this? Using the phone for like 20mins. My thumb and fingers touching the metal band. My finger are felling some what tingling. I can kinda feel the phone broadcasting.

The phone is great for everything else. But is this a concern? Direct contact with the antenna which is broadcasting EM energy at high frequencies. Conducted straight into the fingers.

It might not be a lot of energy but your DNA/cell components are not very big and I bet compared to energy vs size the power is pretty decent.

Before people say other phones are like this. You don't directly touch the metal antenna. Old cell phones were covered in plastic. And EM energy dissipates exponentially with distance.

Reactions: Lauries

touchmonkey

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2008
It also burns when I pee. No, wait..... :confused:
Wow. Just wow.
Greatest internet forum post evar.
Reminds me of a Woody Allen quote/misquote/paraphrase:
"2 great questions of existence: Are we only born to suffer and die? and Why does it hurt when I pee?"
You made my day.

Torq

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2009
Well, let's see ... first if you're getting anything from being in contact with the antenna, it's through conduction not radiation.

And if what you're feeling is not just a product of holding your fingers in an odd position for 20 minutes, then its just a low level electrical current. This seems probable, as the chances are your fingers will moisten slightly from being in one place for so long, lowering resistance and increasing current flow to the point where you can just feel it.

I can't personally, but then I don't think I've actually held a cell-phone to make a call in the last 4 years.

And yes, electromagentic energy reduces with the square of the distance from the source, which over the 1/4" of an inch the antenna in another phone was from the face, means bugger all.

You can't "feel" radiation directly, only the secondary effects. Usually heating, which can be direct heating (infrared, as with sunlight) or with microwave radiation (which is what GSM is based on), you'd feel it as heating resulting from the vibration of, principally, water in your cells and the friction this produces. It wouldn't feel like tingling.

ozziegn

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2007
Central FL Area
picard-headesk.jpg

^ I second that ^

I can read the news headlines now:

Man files $6M lawsuit against Apple. Claims right hand has radiation poisoning from faulty iPhone 4 antenna.

Jeez!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RafaelT

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2010
NM
I have felt it as well. I am not concerned about it though.

I figure if I can survive 220v across the chest then my fingers will be just fine.

46Chromeboy

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2010
N.Y.C.
Ok...I am officially coming out of the closet. I AM A FINGER TINGLER AS WELL.
There, I said it. Can I have my life back now?

PhoneI

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2008
I get it too. Same sensation I would have touching the nano. It's not radiation though. It could be static electricity from touching the metal. Get a case if it bothers you.

mytakeontech

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2010
Hey all,

Anyone one else experience this? Using the phone for like 20mins. My thumb and fingers touching the metal band. My finger are felling some what tingling. I can kinda feel the phone broadcasting.

The phone is great for everything else. But is this a concern? Direct contact with the antenna which is broadcasting EM energy at high frequencies. Conducted straight into the fingers.

It might not be a lot of energy but your DNA/cell components are not very big and I bet compared to energy vs size the power is pretty decent.

Before people say other phones are like this. You don't directly touch the metal antenna. Old cell phones were covered in plastic. And EM energy dissipates exponentially with distance.

I dont know abt fingers but forme something else definitely tingles.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2007
Hey all,

I have a bumper BUT... my samsung eternity I could SWEAR that sometimes WHEN I TOUCH THE SCREEN my fingers would tingle... other people said no but I knew I felt something... I wasn't sure if it was all in my head.

Nyse

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2010
The first thing I noticed about this phone was how it felt. The edges aren't smooth like the 3GS. They cut into your fingers. I'd imagine after talking on it for 20 min it would make your fingers start to tingle. Not from emr but just the sharp edges.

falconeight

Apr 6, 2010
The first thing I noticed about this phone was how it felt. The edges aren't smooth like the 3GS. They cut into your fingers. I'd imagine after talking on it for 20 min it would make your fingers start to tingle. Not from emr but just the sharp edges.

I talked for 30 minutes and it severed my fingers........im sueing!!

SmittS

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2010
I agree the sharp edges can hurt your fingers. Especially when typing in landscape

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
I slid mine done my shorts earlier while watching tv and it was a party in my pants.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.