Radio Shack - Legal, or not

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by samcraig, Jun 24, 2010.

1. samcraig macrumors P6

So the Radio Shacks in NYC are making people buy 2 accessories with their iPhone4. They will not sell you one without making this purchase. They "explain" it that they are discounting the iPhone4 to 180 or 280 and that in exchange, you have to "spend" that $20. Only thing is - the cheapest you can get out of there based on the only accessories they will sell you is about $31. Which begs the question - illegal or not to force someone to buy additional items.

Now I know - someone doesn't HAVE to buy the iPhone4 via Radio Shack. No argument there. But this practice seems a bit fishy to me.

2. BeyondtheTech macrumors 68020

BeyondtheTech

Technically, it's their store, so they're allowed to pull all kinds of shenanigans, but I wouldn't be surprised if Apple speaks up or steps in to the point where they're cut off from being a third-party seller.

3. xdhd350 macrumors 6502

Call the corporate HQ in Ft. Worth. See what they say about it.

4. foulmouthedleon macrumors regular

foulmouthedleon

I called two local Radio Shack's in my area (Maryland), one said they didn't have any yet and the other one has refused to answer the phone. You'd figure they'd be happy Apple threw millions of dollars of business their way.

5. Loves2spoon macrumors 65816

Loves2spoon

Just like when the Wii came out GameStop bundled them up and turned a $200 Wii into $400 with accessories...

They make profits on attachments.

6. aequitas1234 macrumors member

lol. Of course it's legal.

*goes into McDonalds*

*demands pro rata value meal price of Big Mac without the fries and drink*

*furrows brow in vain attempt to understand the situation when McDonalds employee explains that the Bic Mac is discounted on the Value Menu because you're buying extras and you can't just get the Bic Mac by itself for a cheaper price*

*calls ACLU when they want to charge full Big Mac price*

7. w0ngbr4d macrumors regular

Didn't one of the big box retailers try to sell one of the recent game consoles as a bundle on launch day? I thought that made a pretty big stir and the manager was fired or something.

It probably depends on their agreement with Apple.

8. BeyondtheTech macrumors 68020

BeyondtheTech

Buy the bundle, return the accessories. They want to be an ass about it, you do it right back.

Go to a different store if you have to. There's nothing on the receipt that says you have to return the whole thing.

9. muledogus macrumors 6502

I would have put up my dukes and said "I'll give you two accessories."

10. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

That's not the same. And the receipt for the iphone says 299 for the 32gig, 20 credit for iphone accessory package + billed for 2 accessories.

So even in their computer, the iphone is 299 - not 280. So technically - there's no bundle for the iPhone - it's for the accessories

11. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

well according to them - no returns on the accessories.

Look - personally I think it's shady and plan to take it up with the manager (who was conveniently absent)

And while the REALY difference is only about 11 dollars - it's the principle. I'm not pissed off or on some rant. I just think it's not kosher

12. Wudman macrumors newbie

Just be happy that you got an iPhone without waiting in a ridiculous line... Theres plenty of people camped out right now that would kill for that deal...

13. Doom878 macrumors member

It is shady as hell but iPhones very rarely get discounted. You basically paid retail for the phone and a little bit more for two accessories. You actually got a deal.

14. BlindGoldfish macrumors regular

Not legal. Best Buy tried it with the xbox 360.

15. AC773 macrumors member

AC773

I just came back from Radioshack with iPhone in hand...yes, they try to push those packages on you but you don't have to have them. If you don't get anything, the phone will just be regular price. If you do, you get $20 off the phone. The employee I dealt with just rung up a $20 car charger (I was clear I didn't want to pay for anything other than the phone) and gave it to me for free. So I get something gratis, what's the harm in that?

He said I can return or exchange it if I want, so I might go down later and swap it for an invisible shield. Thanks, radioshack! :)

16. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

The Shack is so low life!

At least put a bag over your head so no one can recognize you:eek:

17. LocoMoco macrumors member

Best Buy does the same thing with "Geek Squad" already configured PCs. My brother wanted to buy a laptop. All they had available on the one he wanted was a Geek Squad configured pc (opened box). He asked for an unopened box. They said they didnt have any, but they had 6 of the configured ones in stock. He's an already computer savvy guy. If he wanted that pc, Best Buy tried to force him to pay 150.00 for a Geek Squaded pc. He refused to pay for a service he's already capable of doing himself. He didnt ask for it. Justed the pc. He called them on it. They backed off and he agreed to pay 20.00 for the labor. Done.

BB does the same with game consoles when they bundle them. I heard they won't break it up just to sell a game console, when there are no single units available. You have to buy the whole thing if you want the console.

18. Doom878 macrumors member

Worst Buy did the same to me. They wanted $40 but I talked them down to $20.

19. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

Tried that. They said no refunds - and that if they (the employees) didn't "make" people buy one of their packages, they could get fired.

Again - shady at best here in NYC. And I'll be taking it up with the manager later.

20. lucky967 macrumors newbie

I just had to put up with the same thing, bought the accessories, and going to call their HQ and complain.

21. BeyondtheTech macrumors 68020

BeyondtheTech

Will it say so on the receipt? If not, screw their "no backsies!" idea.

22. myjay610 macrumors regular

BAHAHAHA. That's awesome.

23. Mike84 macrumors 6502a

Technically they can do this as long as Apple doesn't put conditions on the sale of the item, since they are considered an authorized apple retailer. In other words, Apple allows them to sell the iPhone 4 under certain conditions. I am sure we are not privy to those conditions, but if Apple says they can't do that and they are, then there is a breach of contract between Apple and **** Shack. However, Radio Shack and do something like that as long as the product they are selling is theirs, they have full control over it, or are allowed by the original manufacturer to do so.

24. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

Not sure of the legality of it, but at any rate, you're not paying any more than anyone else, so I wouldn't mind too much. You're getting free accessories, so do with them what you want.

I'm surprised they even had any for people to buy. I reserved at Radio Shack, only to be told 12 hours prior to launch it was worthless. Went to Wally World this morning and was in and out in about 30 minutes.

25. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

But you missed my comment. I did pay more. Not for the iphone. But I was forced (as we others) to buy 2 accessories in order to get the iPhone at all.

If it was a wash and I got free accessories for the same price, I wouldn't take issue. And $11 "extra" isn't terrible. But it's principle - they shouldn't be forcing additional sales.