Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
Bundles aren't illegal, a store can sell you things however they want to bundle, at whatever price they want. Whether there will be backlash from Apple is an entirely different question.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Original poster
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Bundles aren't illegal, a store can sell you things however they want to bundle, at whatever price they want. Whether there will be backlash from Apple is an entirely different question.

Is it really a bundle if they sell you the phone + items and not ALL as one "package"

The receipt, communication and intent wasn't a bundle. It was - to buy the iphone, you also have to buy two accessories. It wasn't - you have to buy the iPhone bundle, etc.

StPatty33

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2009
Colorado
That's called 'inboarding' when they reduce the price of the product a bit and make you pay for accessories.

It makes their accessory (and therefor margin) numbers look better, because they don't make a cent on the actual hardware.

Corporate does not go for this, because it inflates the store's profit, but the profit is false because they're lowering the price of the phone below what corporate pays for it.

It's INCREDIBLY common at Best Buys (where I used to supervise). All you have to do is say "I'm going straight to corporate about this--what's your name" and they'll cave.

Bodhi395

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
But you missed my comment. I did pay more. Not for the iphone. But I was forced (as we others) to buy 2 accessories in order to get the iPhone at all.

If it was a wash and I got free accessories for the same price, I wouldn't take issue. And $11 "extra" isn't terrible. But it's principle - they shouldn't be forcing additional sales.

So in reality you got a regular priced iPhone ($200) and $31 worth of accessories for $211. So you ended up spending $211 for $231 worth of merchandise. In the end its a good deal as you save $20. However I get your point that its a bit fishy to require you to buy the extra $11 worth of accessories, although I don't think it is illegal in anyway.

What were the accessories by the way? Anything good?

samcraig

macrumors P6
Original poster
Jun 22, 2009
USA
So in reality you got a regular priced iPhone ($200) and $31 worth of accessories for $211. So you ended up spending $211 for $231 worth of merchandise. In the end its a good deal as you save $20. However I get your point that its a bit fishy to require you to buy the extra $11 worth of accessories, although I don't think it is illegal in anyway.

What were the accessories by the way? Anything good?

Crappy screen protectors (not even cut to size) + an incipio dermashot case. The case I might actually keep. But wanted to see what else was out there. The case is soft - but doesn't go over the home button like my older speck (which I liked for added protection/dust).

And yes - I did get $31 in merch and only paid 11. But (deciding on the case) - it's stuff I don't want or need. So it's not a good deal (to me). I didn't save anything if I can't return it and/or want to buy a different case and/or screen protector. It's just another $11 "premium"

Again - I'm not saying $11 is a lot of money or whatnot.

dbell

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2007
But you missed my comment. I did pay more. Not for the iphone. But I was forced (as we others) to buy 2 accessories in order to get the iPhone at all.

If it was a wash and I got free accessories for the same price, I wouldn't take issue. And $11 "extra" isn't terrible. But it's principle - they shouldn't be forcing additional sales.

Did they put a gun to your head and make you buy the phone there?

houdinize

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2008
not sure if anyone is still following this. I picked up my phone yesterday from Radio Shack and had to get 2 accessories. They only had 2 cases so I got one and an iTunes card for $15. So, if you are against getting accessories you'll always use iTunes money.

aforty

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2007
Brooklyn, NY
So the Radio Shacks in NYC are making people buy 2 accessories with their iPhone4. They will not sell you one without making this purchase. They "explain" it that they are discounting the iPhone4 to 180 or 280 and that in exchange, you have to "spend" that $20. Only thing is - the cheapest you can get out of there based on the only accessories they will sell you is about $31. Which begs the question - illegal or not to force someone to buy additional items.

Now I know - someone doesn't HAVE to buy the iPhone4 via Radio Shack. No argument there. But this practice seems a bit fishy to me.

Lets Senator Chuck Schumer know :)

TMar

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
Ky
well according to them - no returns on the accessories.

Look - personally I think it's shady and plan to take it up with the manager (who was conveniently absent)

And while the REALY difference is only about 11 dollars - it's the principle. I'm not pissed off or on some rant. I just think it's not kosher

Yeah, I hate it when I buy $31 worth of accessories for $11. Goes against every moral fiber in my body. And you can't say you don't have a choice. It's not like RS has a monopoly on the phone, you have a choice to go somewhere else.

WindowsTraitor

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2008
I got my phone from Radio Shack and it was the best experience I had. I got the accessories because I hat to buy them anyway and I saved money because of the bundle.

I got my phone on the 2nd as a walk-in. Flawless.

Highly recommended.

I usually complain on this board, but this time I have to give credit to Radio Shack

Fidget08

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2010
Everything is legal till you get caught. Thats the motto I live by. And to tell you the truth I cant wait till it bites me in the buttox.:)

bibbz

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2010
RadioShack store manager here...

Sorry for not reading all the posts, i have to get to work, ha.

We are discounting the phone to 180, and 280, and you do HAVE to spend the 20, or it goes to you in the form of a RS gift card. That 20 cannot come off the value of the phone per apple.

Now what we try to do is provide a bundle. At my store we use the case valued at $20, and the zagg screen protector valued at $15. We then tell you that by purchasing the phone you get these 2 great acc for only $15.

Now by no means are you required to do that, you can just take the case free, take the $20 gift card, take the zagg and a 5 dollar gift card, or take anything else iPhone related.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Original poster
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Yeah, I hate it when I buy $31 worth of accessories for $11. Goes against every moral fiber in my body. And you can't say you don't have a choice. It's not like RS has a monopoly on the phone, you have a choice to go somewhere else.

thanks for not reading the entire thread. Old news anyway.

Azariah80

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2010
St. Louis
lol. Of course it's legal.

*goes into McDonalds*

*demands pro rata value meal price of Big Mac without the fries and drink*

*furrows brow in vain attempt to understand the situation when McDonalds employee explains that the Bic Mac is discounted on the Value Menu because you're buying extras and you can't just get the Bic Mac by itself for a cheaper price*

*calls ACLU when they want to charge full Big Mac price*

Yeah, but you can ask for a big and tasty plain with ketchup and onions and have a quarter pounder for a buck!

houdinize

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2008
Anyone still here?

Just bought my wife's iPhone 4 at Radio shack and they made me buy applecare and a case. Last week when I got mine I only had to get 2 accessories.

I just saw on RadioShack's twitter a tweet to a guy about not having to buy applecare. I emailed Radio Shack, we'll see what happens

samcraig

macrumors P6
Original poster
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Anyone still here?

Just bought my wife's iPhone 4 at Radio shack and they made me buy applecare and a case. Last week when I got mine I only had to get 2 accessories.

I just saw on RadioShack's twitter a tweet to a guy about not having to buy applecare. I emailed Radio Shack, we'll see what happens

Radio Shack seems to NOT be centralized. I guess whatever the store manager wants to do, they can.

I firmly believe it's to up their numbers. Not just for sales - but because the more Apple business you do, the more phones you get next time out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.