Nacho98

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 11, 2019
I've used the full size Radtec Screensavr on my 2015 and can't say enough good things about it.

But, for my incoming 16", due to the tighter tolerances, they only offer the keyboard cover, not the full size like for the older models. I went ahead and ordered one today.

With this smaller cover, should I be worried about screen marks from the trackpad edge or even the keyboard frame? Does the keyboard cover slide around inside when the laptop is carried sideways?

The full size ones don't cause any need to worry about either - everything is covered and it doesn't move.

cerberusss

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2013
The Netherlands
When I got marks on the screen of my 2016 MBP, they came from the keyboard. So my guess is that you don't have to worry.

However personally, I don't like to rely on guessing. I ordered a screen protector. Unfortunately there aren't screen protectors available for the 16" yet (at least in Europe), so I had to order a custom-sized one.

Comment

nickf1

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2018
Sydney, AU
I ordered a custom size for my MBP 2018 to cover the whole surface, works great. However I notice now that the fabric is marking the screen too (the keys push the fabric onto the screen and the cloth leaves marks). It’s not as bad as the keyboard marks but there are definitely marks that need to be wiped with a lens cleaner microfibre cloth... Annoying but it’s still better than having the keys imprinted on the screen...

Comment

Nacho98

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 11, 2019
I ordered a custom size for my MBP 2018 to cover the whole surface, works great. However I notice now that the fabric is marking the screen too (the keys push the fabric onto the screen and the cloth leaves marks). It’s not as bad as the keyboard marks but there are definitely marks that need to be wiped with a lens cleaner microfibre cloth... Annoying but it’s still better than having the keys imprinted on the screen...

So the marks you're getting from the microfiber aren't permanent though? They wipe off just fine?

Comment

high3r

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2015
Hungary
Been using the keyboard cover on a MBP 2016 13-inch for almost 3 years now. Screen is in perfect condition. Wanted to order one for my incoming MBP 16-inch but yesterday I saw on Radtech's site that the ScreenSavrs are identical for all sizes (13, 15, 16) and luckily I've order two back then and I have one unopened. Highly recommend these.

Comment

Donnation

Suspended
Nov 2, 2014
I used the full size Radtech on my 2018 and now on my 16” and it works great.

Comment

Nacho98

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 11, 2019
I used the full size Radtech on my 2018 and now on my 16” and it works great.

Interesting, wasn't expecting that result with the older full size model.

Do they still make the full size?? Can only see the actual keyboard model on their website.

They do, but all 2016+ models have always been the keyboard only due to the tighter lid gap.

Comment

Nacho98

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 11, 2019
But you've had success with the full size on your 16"? Does it close fully or do you feel the screen pressing on the Radtech?

not me, i dont have my 16" yet - @Donnation said he has no issues.

id strongly prefer to use the full size but radtech says its a no-no with 2016+ machines

Comment

BigMcGuire

Contributor
Jan 10, 2012
the Alpha Quadrant
I've been using Radtech's screen saver cloths for years. Whenever my MBA went in my backpack with other things, I had that between the keyboard and screen. Never had a mark on my screen ever. My MBP 2017 doesn't seem to have that problem, but I have it in a super nice cushiony sleeve. Still bought a Radtech felt cloth for that. I use it to keep the dust off of it when I leave it open for the night.

I plan on getting one for every MBP I purchase in the future.

Reactions: SmokeItLow
Comment

SmokeItLow

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2006
Canada
not me, i dont have my 16" yet - @Donnation said he has no issues.

id strongly prefer to use the full size but radtech says its a no-no with 2016+ machines

Sorry brother. Long day. I just received mine yesterday and noticed after travelling to work that any finger oil left on keys will show the smudge on the screen when you open it. I can just see this becoming a problem over years of use. I'm worried about putting a screen cover on the glass so would rather go the radtech route. I might just try out a full size sheet and see how it goes.

I've been using Radtech's screen saver cloths for years. Whenever my MBA went in my backpack with other things, I had that between the keyboard and screen. Never had a mark on my screen ever. My MBP 2017 doesn't seem to have that problem, but I have it in a super nice cushiony sleeve. Still bought a Radtech felt cloth for that. I use it to keep the dust off of it when I leave it open for the night.

I plan on getting one for every MBP I purchase in the future.

Thanks for the info! I'm leaning towards this as well. I have a nice padded and water resistant sleeve for it but def want to keep the screen pristine. It's good to hear folks with '16+ units didn't have problems over the years.

Reactions: BigMcGuire
Comment

Nacho98

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 11, 2019
Got my new machine, and have both the old full size Radtech for the 2012-2015 models, and the new keyboard only model they sell for the 16" (same as the 2016-2019 models).

I'm a little disappointed that the new one doesn't cover the entire keyboard front to back (short dimension). It's fine lengthwise, but it's close to 1/4" short of covering everything in the shorter direction. I realize the goal with this is to keep it confined to the "dug out" part of the keyboard, but it could be a little larger in that direction.

Also, the full size one is no bueno with my 16". Lid does not close fully, even when positioning it as far from the hinge (towards bottom of trackpad) as possible.

Comment

SmokeItLow

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2006
Canada
Also, the full size one is no bueno with my 16". Lid does not close fully, even when positioning it as far from the hinge (towards bottom of trackpad) as possible.

Thanks for the update my friend. It's too bad there's not something that will cover both the keyboard and trackpad when the screen is closed...

Does the recessed version not cover the Touch Bar/top part, or do you need to leave a bit of the bottom portion exposed when using it?

Thanks again for the info.

Comment

nickf1

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2018
Sydney, AU
Just order a custom sized one (dimensions for mine are 13.50 x 8.62 in / 34.29 x 21.9 cm). Here’s what my custom from the 2018 looks like with the 16”. Lid closes perfectly.

Attachments

• 23C3C6AC-FD63-4714-8461-4F2C1B35F2C9.jpeg
    23C3C6AC-FD63-4714-8461-4F2C1B35F2C9.jpeg
    59.8 KB · Views: 137
Comment

ZMacintosh

macrumors 65816
Nov 13, 2008
Just order a custom sized one (dimensions for mine are 13.50 x 8.62 in / 34.29 x 21.9 cm). Here’s what my custom from the 2018 looks like with the 16”. Lid closes perfectly.

was going to say they offer custom sizes also, these have been helpful and much better than a silicon key cover

Comment

bobbydd21

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2012

This custom size seems to be the exact same dimensions as the 2012-2015 retina edition they sell. I see mixed reviews about people saying they can properly close their 16” or not with this. So it works?

Comment

nickf1

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2018
Sydney, AU
Yes it works fine. You don't hear the "clack" sound of the magnet from the screen though, but the screen turns off and the Mac goes to sleep/clamshell mode if you have an external display connected. What's your definition of "works" in this case? Also, don't worry about the lid opening, it doesn't. Once you close it, it stays closed.

Last edited:
Comment

jacg

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2003
UK
Is this the only way to avoid what has happened to my two last MBPs? I have permanent marks on the screen from certain keys. I guess it gets a little compressed in my bag or when I am carrying it, pushing the lowest row of keys (from left command to cursor) onto my screen. I’m going to operate a better cleaning regime with my new 16. I’d rather not have a cloth in between, as it just doesn’t make sense to fit more in there if there is very little margin. I wonder if the new keyboard is closer to the closed screen?

Comment

Nacho98

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 11, 2019
I emailed Radtech about how this one is a tiny bit small to cover the keyboard and asked if the size for this model should be tweaked, so I'll see what they say.

Reactions: dead flag blues
Comment

nickf1

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2018
Sydney, AU
Is this the only way to avoid what has happened to my two last MBPs? I have permanent marks on the screen from certain keys. I guess it gets a little compressed in my bag or when I am carrying it, pushing the lowest row of keys (from left command to cursor) onto my screen. I’m going to operate a better cleaning regime with my new 16. I’d rather not have a cloth in between, as it just doesn’t make sense to fit more in there if there is very little margin. I wonder if the new keyboard is closer to the closed screen?
If you got marks on 2 MBPs due to the keyboard and assuming you carried both the same way, I agree there’s something compressing the laptops too much in your bag. Try to give them some space, always set the screen side away from the most “danger-prone” area (your back in case of a backpack, the exterior-facing side in case of a briefcase), the screen should always face the inside of the bag. See if this makes a difference. Also, you can try to get a Radtech Screensaverz and see if the situation improves.

Reactions: jacg
Comment

bobbydd21

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2012
I emailed Radtech about how this one is a tiny bit small to cover the keyboard and asked if the size for this model should be tweaked, so I'll see what they say.

keep is updated! I just ordered one but I’m sure it will be too small like yours. Can always order custom I guess but you shouldn’t have to since this IS their 16” model.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.