Raid 0 backup

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by mooseface, Dec 19, 2010.

1. mooseface macrumors member

I've searched but haven't seen anything specific so thought I'd ask. I'll be setting up a raid 0 with two WD Black 1tb drives, and I have a WD 2tb drive to use as back up. What would be the best way to set up a back up. Mirroring the drives in CCC? Is there any better way? Any other advice?

Thanks in advance!

2. Transporteur macrumors 68030

Scheduled incremental backups with CCC are the way to go.

3. mooseface thread starter macrumors member

What kind of time frame? I'm not at my computer at the moment, does CCC do half hourly back ups?

4. mjsmke macrumors 6502a

Time Machine is my choice. Ive heard of lots of people using CCC over TM. Is there any advantage to CCC?

5. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

No downtime with ccc, just swap hd's and you are set.

6. philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

1)tm
    2)ccc clone
    3)superduper clone
    4)offsite

all 4 for true gold standard backup.

at least tm and a clone a week

7. diazj3 macrumors 6502a

+1. TM for user files and folders, and CCC/SD for apps and bootable backups.

I established a Raid 0 about a month ago - I expected it to be unstable, but so far, not a single problem.

8. barmann macrumors 6502

Fwiw, I'm using TM for convenience, and daily manual SuperDuper backups for saftey and bootable system clones .

9. mooseface thread starter macrumors member

I seem to remember a lot of people saying that TM was not adequate enough for raid, have I made this up? I already have CCC cloning my system drive as a bootable back up. If a drive in the raid fails, can I rebuild the raid using TM?

10. Transporteur macrumors 68030

You can choose whatever time frame you want and yes, 30 minute iterations work as well. Just try it, you can't break anything with it.

The reason I prefer CCC over TM or any other software is its speed. Time Machine is terribly slow compared to CCC and it offers poor adjustment possibilities.

SuperDuper should work as well, but only the paid version offers the same functionality as CCC. That should be a no brainer. :D

Personally, I clone all my drives one a day. I let my Mac wake every night at 2, let it clone the drives and put it to sleep again at 3. Plenty of time to do incremental backups and absolutely hassle free due to scheduled power settings of OS X and scheduled backup settings of CCC.

11. lemonade-maker macrumors 6502

lemonade-maker

I use four methods of backup. 1st line of defense is TimeMachine. It provides incremental backups over time in case you need to go back in time. 2nd is Subversion (SVN) offsite. This is for project code for almost anything. I use it for code I develop. 3rd is carboncopy. It is for nightly clones so that if the raid fails, I have something recent that boots. 4th is an offsite mac system that I clone to weekly using carboncopy. This setup has payed for itself many times over.