Rain

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Blue Velvet, Jul 23, 2007.

1. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Do you like the rain?

I can't remember the name of it, but there's a science-fiction short story or novella by Robert Heinlein (I think), where these settlers on a jungle planet are slowly driven insane by the incessant and heavy rain.

That story may as well be about the UK at the moment. We've had months of rainfall in days, non-stop rain for months, 60-year floods... all since April. I've never seen a summer like it... truly extraordinary.

...and it's driving me absolutely mental. :mad:

People's houses in the country are getting looted, have no drinking water, their possessions are ruined, the shops are holding huge sales of summer clothing, there are warehouses of unsold BBQ equipment stockpiled all over the country... and my clothes are taking ages to dry.

I'm abso-bloody-lutely fecking fed up to the back teeth.

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Ray Bradbury - The Long Rain

There's also another Bradbury (All Summer in a Day) about a Venus where it rains constantly except for one day every seven years, and schoolchildren's reaction who have never seen the sun before. I won't spoil the punch line, but it is sad, of course.

(We has 60 days straight this past Winter.)

Man that takes me back. I had devoured all of Heinlein, Bradbury and Clarke and most of Asimov by the time I was 16...

3. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I absolutely LOVE the rain.

At temperate lattitudes, it means that the sun won't be out making me all hot and whatnot. Someday I hope to move to Oregon, which (from what I've seen) has similar weather patterns to the UK.

4. blumoon macrumors member

Send some our way

Sorry to hear about all the rain you've been having. It is so dry in my area (PA, USA), we sure could use some rain.

No, I don't like the rain, it's too darn depressing.

5. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

I love to watch a good downpour. I love the smell that comes with rain. I love the beauty of it.

I don't, however, love some of the aftereffects, like it making it impossible to play some soccer or ultimate frisbee.

6. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i love rain too. for the most part. but i prefer storms. :eek:
    light rain would get annoying.

7. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

8. bartelby macrumors Core

Me too.

Because we're having building work done the whole house smells damp.:(

9. iGav macrumors G3

But you just know... as soon as the heat wave finally hits, the water companies will be bitching about drought conditions and how the recent rain fall hasn't been sufficient enough to replenish ground stocks. ;)

10. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

It's totally fine on this side of the Pennines, we're getting some rain. Nothing too heavy. It's very safe up on the hills since it just rolls down into Manchester.

The giant reservoirs still haven't filled up either here. Though they might be keeping levels low incase of a massive downpour.

Either way. Rain rain go away, come again... um... when we need you?

11. bartelby macrumors Core

Oh yes, nothing to do with huge leaks in the water systems:rolleyes:

Hosepipe bans by mid August I reckon.

12. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

F*** this rain. It's driving me round the twist too. WORST SUMMER [weather] EVER™ :mad:

13. iGav macrumors G3

Believe me, it's significantly more preferable to having to walk several blocks to a standpipe to obtain your day's drinking water because of the significant drought conditions that the South, particularly the South East has been experiencing for several years now and that would've been reaching crisis point had we experienced another summer like 2005's for example. ;)

Not only do we need this wet summer. We equally need a wet winter too, to even begin to help replenish water stocks.

Pop some wellingtons on, and go and enjoy the puddles... Blue too. :)

14. dcv macrumors G3

15. bartelby macrumors Core

Hurrah!!

I wondered how long it would take:D

16. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

I can't wait until it finally stops. Today hasn't been too bad here, it would drizzle every 10 minutes or so. That's what I find annoying, the continuous light rain. Waking up to the sound of it every morning, and being unable to put clothes out on the line because you know they'll be soaked in 10 minutes.

Damn this british weather. :mad:

17. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

I don't mind rain... and actually prefer it to heat and sun...

Last Winter we almost went for the Norwegian record of most consecutive days of rain: It rained every single day between Oct 25th 2006 and Jan 20th 2007, 98 straight days (would have been 100 on my birthday, something I actually wished for), which is much even here where it on average rains about 250 days a year...

There's also an old joke from Bergen going something like this: A tourist comes to Bergen and, as usual it rains, so to be funny he asks a young boy (tjuagutt) if it always rains here. To which he gets the reply: "I don't know, I'm only 8".

18. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Mind, I imagine wading through knee deep, sewerage contaminated water to try to rescue what personal possessions you can isn't exactly a picnic either.

Just a minute's walk away from us there are houses with skips full of ruined carpets and furniture outside, and folk are living in caravans in their front garden to try to deter looters. Not a pleasant sight at all, and a reminder of how fortunate those of us who avoided our homes being flooded really are.

19. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I like rain in the evening, it's relaxing.

But right now I'm running an archaeological dig for my thesis project, and today heavy rain shut down work. We've only 9 days of fieldwork left and I can't afford to miss another. :mad:

So, I can go either way on rain...;)

20. mrfrosty macrumors 6502

I love the rain. I also like she sells sanctuary, it is an all time classic. The whole album is great actually, love is my favourite track on the whole album.

Sorry about that.

21. Brize macrumors 6502a

Brize

We've lost our water supply here this evening after the local treatment plant was flooded. Severn Trent Water are estimating between seven and fourteen days before the plant's back in action! Should be interesting...

22. johnee macrumors 6502a

johnee

That story is brilliant, I didn't read the book, but I saw the short film. yes it is sad; it shows the cruel nature of humans.

I didn't know it was raining so much in england. being an american, my global attention span is narrowed to our borders. the only consistent issue i've been aware of is drought in our western states.

i'm a stupid american :(

23. Teh Don Ditty macrumors G4

Teh Don Ditty

I prefer Thunderstorms myself every once and awhile. Rain is much appreciated when it kills the humidity here in NY.

24. mrfrosty macrumors 6502

Actaully were not that affected here in Derbyshire, living in the middle of a hill helps too i suppose It's all starting to get a little biblical for my liking though, a few more heavy downpours and this countries not going to be able to cope.

It's nothing compared to what will happen when the oil gets too expensive to bother getting out of the ground but that's a whole other thread !

25. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

it's been so long since I've seen any rain........here in Los Angeles we just finished the driest year since they started keeping track of such things