RAM for early 2011 MBP - Conflicting info.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by greytmom, Jun 23, 2012.

1. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

I have the early 2011 15" MBP, 2.2 GHz, i7. Right now I have 4 GB RAM. When I look on Apple's support site, it says that for my model, 8GB of RAM is the maximum. But when I use Crucial's tool for determining compatible upgrades they have a 16GB kit that they say is guaranteed. Can someone explain this? If I were to put in 16GB would that cause a problem? (I'm probably going with 8 - doubling the current memory seems like it would be more than adequate, but I'm just wondering).

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You can find specs on all Apple products, including maximum RAM:

3. Trebuin macrumors 65816

Trebuin

You can upgrade it to 16GB just fine. Just make sure you select the right ram. Crucial works fine. I think that Apple limits it to their own (less superior ram), or just simply hasn't updated it as that ram was really rare last year an I don't think any was marked as mac compatible.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Apple has historically stated maximum RAM lower than actual maximums.

5. Trebuin macrumors 65816

Trebuin

If you were really wanting some performance boost, you could pick some lower CL ram up, though you'd have to pick up slower ram. The CL actually makes a bigger performance boost over faster ram, though you run out of ram as a consequence as I couldn't find any at 16GB. 16GB at higher with SSD seems to really pay off vs 8GB at higher CL. I know, I just upgraded on that configuration. It is really system setup dependent, though.

6. greytmom thread starter macrumors 68040

greytmom

Ok, thank you all for the help.

----------

I'm also going to do the SSD upgrade, but that will have to wait a little while!

7. Trebuin macrumors 65816

Trebuin

If you use parallels, the ram really helps, if you don't, put the money in the SSD, that's night and day. I also pulled the optical drive for an internal spinner. I bought an External LG slim BluRay drive for all my optical needs. Works great.

8. greytmom thread starter macrumors 68040

greytmom

That's exactly why I am boosting the RAM - Parallels is making the system drag a bit.

And yep, I want to pull the optical drive. Thanks for the suggestion on the BluRay drive!

9. kfscoll macrumors 65816

kfscoll

I just installed a 16GB 1600MHz Corsair Vengeance RAM kit in my early 2011 MacBook Pro. It works great. And it was only $110.

[​IMG]

10. NeuralControl macrumors 6502a

I see you put in (and your computer recognized) the 1600 MHz RAM. Is there a significant difference in performance in the Early 2011 MBP with the 1600 MHz vs 1333 MHz RAM? All of the sites I have used have always suggested 1333 MHz, just as the computer ships with.

11. kfscoll macrumors 65816

kfscoll

Nope, no significant difference. However, there really wasn't a difference in price either (maybe a buck or two) and Sandy Bridge supports the faster RAM (well, at least the i7-2720QM and i7-2820QM do) so I figured what the heck.

In my case it's really a moot point, though -- I just ordered a 2012 cMBP and I'm going to put this memory in that computer and restore this computer to 8GB of 1333MHz RAM before I sell it.