RAM on Macbook 1st Gen

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by aliasneo, Jun 22, 2007.

1. aliasneo macrumors newbie

i was looking to upgrade the RAM in the !st generation Macbook which has just 512MB of RAM it was fine when i bought it but now it runs really slow compared to my friends' one which has 2GB of RAM and same specs as mine 2GHz Intel Core Duo, 60GB HD, Superdrive etc.

the problem is that i came accross this website and it has the RAM 200 times much cheaper then what apple is selling.

3rd party
    http://www.crucial.com/uk/store/mpartspecs.aspx?mtbpoid=6C41F532A5CA7304

Apple
    http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObjects/ukstore.woa/wa/RSLID?nclm=ACBE70D9

the problem is that there must be a reason why apple's memory is so expensivve and the other one is cheap.

the differnce that i have discovered is that apple supports 667mhz of RAM speed. the other one deosnt mention.

can anybody point out the difference here

apple vs crucial

thanks

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

THe reason is that Apple wants to make more money.

The Crucial RAM does support 667 - "DDR2 PC2-5300 • CL=5 • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR2-667 • 1.8V • 128Meg x 64"
    In fact if it wasn't DDR2-667 MHz RAM it wouldn't be MacBook compatible.

Crucial is a reputable company, I have also heard good things about Orca, although I don't have direct experience. I assume from the links you are inte UK.

Thanks
    Trevor
    CanadaRAM.com

3. poke4christ macrumors member

Dell and other companies overcharge for this upgrade too. Maybe they consider it a fee for labor :rolleyes: who knows. Just get it from crucial. It's quality and just as good (if not better) than apple's.

BTW, smart of you to notice it and not just buy apple's. ;) There are lots of people who don't.

4. aliasneo thread starter macrumors newbie

ECC and Buffering

i found the only difference between crucial and apple memory was that apple has ECC and its buffered. the problem is that curical memory isnt.

now does all this matter, the problem.

or is it

5. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Crucial is the direct outlet for one of the biggest RAM manufacturers. I'd say they have the best reputation for reliability, not necessarily the reputation to be the absolutely cheapest. They are cheaper than Apple because Apple (like Dell and every other computer manufacturer) makes lots of money on RAM.

One advantage of Crucial is that you can pick exactly the model that you own and can order memory that is guaranteed to be the right one for your computer, so you don't have to worry whether there is any difference between first, second, third and tenth generation of MacBook or not. And if you have a computer that is not in their list (happened to me with a friends eight year old Packard Hell computer), you can email them and they will find the right memory.

6. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Oh, that is completely and utterly incorrect.

ALL Macintosh RAM and ALL RAM that is compatible with Macintoshes, is non-ECC and unbuffered -- including the MacBook model that you said you have. You either have misunderstood or your source of information is bunkum.

There are only 2 exceptions -- the MacPro Xeon machines use ECC, Fully-Buffered DIMMs. And owners of G5 towers and PPC Xserves have the option to use ECC, unbuffered RAM (but nobody ever does).