RAM Question NEED HELP QUICK

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Guitarfool5931, Jul 17, 2008.

1. Guitarfool5931 macrumors newbie

I purchased a Dual Intel Processor 2.4 Ghz RAM MacBook Pro around January or February and recently I've started to come into problems running some Plug Ins with my Pro Tools program. I wanted to upgrade my available RAM to 4GB but after visiting several sites (including apple.com) I've become aware that I can only use 3GB effectively no matter how much more I put in there. I'm heading to Micro Center to buy a 2GB to at least upgrade it to 3 but if it is at all possible then what can I do for more?

Also what can I do to stop unnecessary programs from running in my background? How do I know whats a vital process that needs to be open and what is one that I can close safely without interrupting OS x?

Just as an FYI I am running Pro Tools LE with an Mbox 2 Pro. Using an external Firewire drive and OS X 10.4.3.

2. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

If you have the 2.4 ghz you can install 4gb and it will recognize all of it. Pop out the 2x1 chips, and put in 2x2.

3. Guitarfool5931 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply Bobioden. It's that fine line between recognizing and actually being able to use it that has me debating whether or not to get the 4GBs. So far all the sites DO say that the system will recognize the 4GBs but when you go to the Virtual memory display there are only 3GBs available. I just don't want to spend more money than necessary you know? What's the point in buying something if you can't really use it?

4. Guitarfool5931 thread starter macrumors newbie

:apple:You know whats funny about this is that I thought when I bought a Mac all my problems would be solved. Just naive thinking on my part though. I still love my mac and will never go back..................to PC's.:apple:

5. jerryrock macrumors 6502

jerryrock

All of the 2008 MacBook Pros can utilize 4 gigs of ram. It an option available when you purchase the unit. You can also upgrade later without voiding your warranty.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I have 4GB of RAM in my MBP and believe me, Mac OS X uses all of it. I still have times when I have Page Outs, even with 4GB. It would be slower if I had only 3GB. You will definitely be able to benefit from all 4GB, if you put enough load on the system.

7. Guitarfool5931 thread starter macrumors newbie

See since I bought it in early 2008 I'm not sure if it falls in that category. I guess I can take it to Micro Center and get it checked by them. I trust everyone on here a lot better though. Sometimes those guys don't know what they're talking about. (I asked some guy for some RAM for my macbook pro and he gave me the worng ones completely)

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You don't need to take it anywhere. Just click :apple: > About This Mac > More Info and look at the Hardware Overview to see what model you have and how much RAM it has.

9. Guitarfool5931 thread starter macrumors newbie

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1270

This is the article that confused me. I think I read it wrong though. I'm heading to Micro center after work and getting the 4Gbs then. Thanks guys for all the quick responses! Much appreciated.

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

From the article you linked:

"The maximum amount of memory that can be recognized in the following models is 4 GB: MacBook Pro (2.4/2.2GHz), MacBook Pro (Late 2007), MacBook Pro (Early 2008)."

11. Guitarfool5931 thread starter macrumors newbie

Awesome. That's great news! Again, much appreciated!:D

12. winninganthem macrumors 6502a

winninganthem

Just wondering, is Mac OSX 64bit or 32bit? :confused:

If it is 64bit, does that mean that every program is written to make use of that power?

13. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It supports both. Read this.

14. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

The "even number" machines are all SantaRosas -- 2.2, 2.4, 2.5, 2.6 GHz and therefore they all recognize the full 4 GB

We have a Guide: Mac Hardware: Understanding Intel Mac RAM

15. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

That will tell you how much RAM is installed, but it will not tell you how much is available. You need to run Activity Monitor to determine this.

Doesn't matter anyway - the OP has a 2.4 gHz MBP, which means his machine can take 8 gigs of RAM.

16. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I know it doesn't tell you how much is available. The OP wanted to confirm what the maximum RAM for his particular model was. The Hardware Overview will show the Model Identifier, which will reveal what the maximum recognizable RAM for that model is.

According to Apple, "The maximum amount of memory that can be recognized in the following models is 4 GB: MacBook Pro (2.4/2.2GHz), MacBook Pro (Late 2007), MacBook Pro (Early 2008)."

17. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

The OP states he's concerned about a 3 gig limit vs. 4 gig limit. He doesn't care how much in RAM that's in there, only how much is usable (just like all the rest of us). The hardware overview only tells you what kind of sticks are installed, not how much is available. The Calistoga-based MBP (and MB and iMacs and Mac Minis) will report 4 gigs of RAM but only 3.1 to 3.2 gigs are actually available.

Apple seldom tells the whole story. The OP's MBP has Santa Rosa, thus will take 8 gigs of RAM, provided OP wants to shell out $750 for a pair of 4 gig sticks.

18. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I could also plug in a 47 terabyte drive in my USB port, but if Mac OS X doesn't recognize it, it's not doing me any good. If Mac OS X only recognizes a max of 4GB, what would be the point in putting in 8?

19. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

WTF makes you think OS X only recognizes 4 gb?

20. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

OK, I'll repeat it for the 3rd time in this thread:

According to Apple, "The maximum amount of memory that can be recognized in the following models is 4 GB: MacBook Pro (2.4/2.2GHz), MacBook Pro (Late 2007), MacBook Pro (Early 2008)."

21. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

You can say it a billion times and it will still be wrong.

They also say that Mac Minis will only take 2 gb of RAM, when all of us with Minis know they'll take two 2 gig sticks for 3.1 gb of RAM. The fact is, SR's memory controller can address 8 gigs and at least one forum member has 8 gigs in her MBP.

'Nuf said.

22. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Understand, the argument isn't between you and me... it's between you and Apple. I'm just quoting what they say. So a forum member has 8GB RAM in her MBP. Does the OS recognize and use more than 4GB? If not, it's a waste. Just because the hardware can take more, doesn't mean the software is designed or configured to take advantage of it.

23. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

Yeah, I'm sure Apple sells 32 gig MP for an OS that can only take 4 gigs. :rolleyes:

24. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Ever notice how Mac OS X install discs are hardware specific? Could it be that the OS is configured differently on a MP than a MBP? Anyway, I was just quoting the Apple site. I have no desire to argue with you or anyone. If you have issues with what they say on their site, take it up with Apple. 'nuff said.

25. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

The installer DVD that comes with a computer checks the machine ID. If it matches, then the installation proceeds. The OS is the same, regardless of machine.

I have lots of issues with Apple. But it doesn't matter because they don't listen. Don't you feel a little misled that Apple tells you your computer will only take 4 gb, when in fact it will take 8 gb? How can you trust a company that doesn't tell you the truth? The best "Mac" I've ever owned is one I built myself, and that list includes the following: Centris 610, Power Mac G4, two Mac Minis, an iMac C2D, iBook G3, iBook G4, MacBook and MacBook Pro.