Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
The "even number" machines are all SantaRosas -- 2.2, 2.4, 2.5, 2.6 GHz and therefore they all recognize the full 4 GB

We have a Guide: Mac Hardware: Understanding Intel Mac RAM

That 2.5 sure looks even-numbered... :p

Understand, the argument isn't between you and me... it's between you and Apple. I'm just quoting what they say. So a forum member has 8GB RAM in her MBP. Does the OS recognize and use more than 4GB? If not, it's a waste. Just because the hardware can take more, doesn't mean the software is designed or configured to take advantage of it.

Man you are convincing me to go waste money again and buy 8GB of RAM :(

Guitarfool5931

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 17, 2008
Wow. Alot been happening since I was gone. It's not only the Apple site that claims that only 4GB's are usable. There was a wikipedia site that stated the same. I'm not saying it's right (although it's hard to ignore a statement coming direclty from the manufacturer) but right now I only have money for the 4GB's anyway. If I could I would buy the 8Gb and report back on what my Activity monitor is saying. Right now it is saying there is 4gb. 3.09 free and the rest used by whatever processes are running.

I do however still have an issue with my Amplitude program still lagging in my Pro Tools sessions. Either something harmful is running in the background I don't recognize or there is some sort of software malfunction. I'll look into this more later and report my findings. :apple:

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Don't you feel a little misled that Apple tells you your computer will only take 4 gb, when in fact it will take 8 gb? How can you trust a company that doesn't tell you the truth? The best "Mac" I've ever owned is one I built myself, and that list includes the following: Centris 610, Power Mac G4, two Mac Minis, an iMac C2D, iBook G3, iBook G4, MacBook and MacBook Pro.

Well, Cave Man (and please don't take this as any fussing or argument. I like ya! Remember, you're the one with that stellar IQ! ;) ), I guess I approach things differently. If Apple tells me my MBP can only take a max of 4GB of RAM, and I accept that configuration at time of purchase, I don't have a problem with it if it could really do more, only if it does less. Please indulge me for an illustration from another industry:

Years ago, when I was into Porsches, I bought a 928 that could outrun every other 928 in a quarter mile by 3 car lengths. Upon investigation, we learned that when Porsche claims a car has "300 bhp" they REALLY mean "at LEAST 300 bhp." They dyno each engine as it comes off the line. If it's 299 or less, it gets sent back. If it's 300 or more, they put it in a car. The fact that it can exceed published specs is a free bonus. (Of course I put 4 sets of Pirelli tires on the rear in the first 20K miles... couldn't keep the damn rear-end on the ground!) :D

So far, I'm very happy with Apple and my MBP. So far, it has lived up to every expectation I had. I didn't expect a perfect company or a perfect computer... just a much better one than any of the Windows-based systems I used in the past. I'm a "power user" and technology/database/business consultant and I got tired of "tweaking" Windows and editing the Windows registry and other techie stuff, instead of just using and enjoying my computer. And I refused to start the process all over again with Vista!

In that sense, the Mac is terrific. Sure, there are pesky little things I'm not fond of, but overall, I feel I got everything I expected. I never play games or do heavy video editing or extreme graphics rendering. I do a lot of multitasking with multiple programs and it handles everything without a hitch. Yes, I've had to Force Quit a couple apps from time to time, but that's pretty rare.

I'm by no means easy to please, but, at least so far, my MBP has me :D

Minimoose 360

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2008
NY
Wtf just happened. Haha after reading the few posts behind mine, I'm flabbergasted. All I know is I'm getting 4GB of RAM in my new MBP because that's all it can effectively utilize.

Cave Man

macrumors 604
Well, Cave Man (and please don't take this as any fussing or argument. I like ya! Remember, you're the one with that stellar IQ! ;) ),

Well, I am a cave man. What's your excuse? :p

I guess I approach things differently. If Apple tells me my MBP can only take a max of 4GB of RAM, and I accept that configuration at time of purchase, I don't have a problem with it if it could really do more, only if it does less. Please indulge me for an illustration from another industry:

Here you go. Jobs is the man on the screen. I suspect you're in the line.. ;)

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I'm not going to resort to personal attacks. They're childish and unproductive. I'll believe that a MBP can recognize and benefit from more than 4GB of RAM when I see a non-PhotoShopped screen cap of Activity Monitor on a MBP, showing something like 5 or 6 or 7GB of RAM in use, with no Page Outs.

Even if that's possible, I have no reason to be unhappy if I see a notebook advertised as having a max of 4GB of RAM, I have 4GB of RAM installed, and it actually uses 4GB of RAM. That's not being a mindless follower of some cult. That's being an informed, aware buyer. I don't max out my 4GB on a daily basis. If I were, I would be looking for higher specs and would probably look for a desktop, rather than a notebook.

I'm not a "fanboy" of any company or product. I recently switched to Mac after more than a year of research, so I knew what to expect. I did my homework and made a well-informed decision. My satisfaction with my purchase, after spending more than 14 hours a day on it, every day, only proves that my research paid off.

The only reason I can see to be upset with Apple would be if they sold a Mac with 8GB of RAM, only to find later that it can't recognize more than 4. I guess the old saying is true, "You can't please all the people, all the time."

Cave Man

macrumors 604
II'll believe that a MBP can recognize and benefit from more than 4GB of RAM when I see a non-PhotoShopped screen cap of Activity Monitor on a MBP, showing something like 5 or 6 or 7GB of RAM in use, with no Page Outs.

Why don't you just read Intel's data sheet on Santa Rosa.

The only reason I can see to be upset with Apple would be if they sold a Mac with 8GB of RAM, only to find later that it can't recognize more than 4. I guess the old saying is true, "You can't please all the people, all the time."

What if they sold you a computer capable of more than 3 gigs of RAM, but restricted it so that you could only put in 2 gigs? Would you think that a good thing?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Why don't you just read Intel's data sheet on Santa Rosa.

I have no need to. I'm happy with my 4GB MBP. By the way, where's that Activity Monitor screen capture? Should be coming up any minute, right? :D

What if they sold you a computer capable of more than 3 gigs of RAM, but restricted it so that you could only put in 2 gigs? Would you think that a good thing?

If all I was looking for was a computer with a max of 2GB of RAM, why should it matter?

Apparently, you're not happy with Apple. Why don't you buy something else, instead of complaining that a multi-billion dollar company doesn't do things to suit your particular needs and desires? If you don't like it, don't buy it!

I'm done with this pointless discussion.

Cave Man

macrumors 604
I have no need to. I'm happy with my 4GB MBP. By the way, where's that Activity Monitor screen capture? Should be coming up any minute, right? :D

When did I ever say I had 8 gigs in my MBP? Are you making things up again?

If all I was looking for was a computer with a max of 2GB of RAM, why should it matter?

It's just that there's a lot of people out there with first-gen Intel Minis, iMacs, MacBooks and MacBook Pros who are a firmware update from increasing their RAM capacity by more than 50%.

Apparently, you're not happy with Apple. Why don't you buy something else, instead of complaining that a multi-billion dollar company doesn't do things to suit your particular needs and desires? If you don't like it, don't buy it!

Nah, I like Apple. It's just that in the last couple of years they've lost sight of who they are. They need people like me to remind them what they used to be.

I'm done with this pointless discussion.

Promise?

MacHappytjg

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2008
Winnipeg
wait so the most ram leopard can take right now is 32gb am i right since u can put it in a macpro and buy it off the apple site which no one would want to cause its like $9000 from apple and 3000 else where

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
wait so the most ram leopard can take right now is 32gb am i right since u can put it in a macpro and buy it off the apple site which no one would want to cause its like $9000 from apple and 3000 else where

Well the Leopard site mentions that that 64-bit enables support up to 4TB in the Devoper's sections, so I'm guessing since you need an OS X to run that 4TB application, and Leopard is latest; My deduction is you can use up to 4TB on Leopard.

MacHappytjg

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2008
Winnipeg
Well the Leopard site mentions that that 64-bit enables support up to 4TB in the Devoper's sections, so I'm guessing since you need an OS X to run that 4TB application, and Leopard is latest; My deduction is you can use up to 4TB on Leopard.

Of friggin Ram :eek: wow can u even fit that into a mac pro? and that would be costly

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.