RAM Questions

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by ndraves, Jan 28, 2011.

1. ndraves macrumors member

Just wanting to check a few things out. Currently using the 2010 MP 8-core and recently I have noticed that the Page in/out on the system memory in activity monitor have just been getting larger and larger.

I take it this is a good sign that I need more RAM. My system spec is:
    2010 MP, 2x2.4GHz
    6GB stock RAM
    2xHD 5770, driving 1x27"ACD + 2x23"ACD

So my questions are:

1. What config would be a good option, I was thinking about a pair of 4GB sticks to go 1 on each side with the 3x1GB already there

2. Are there any big differences between brands of RAM, I was think about Crucial, the pair of 4GB is £119 (I'm in the UK) which seems reasonable

Anyway just wondering what your thought were?

2. philipma1957, Jan 28, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2011

philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

crucial and micron are one in the same.

hynix chips are good

samsung chips are good

all are korean based chip makers

the chips can be in different names like supertalent or owc.

here in the states you can buy 12gb (3 sticks of 4gb each )of supertalent( with hynix chips) for around 140 usd, but you have uk prices i don't know them as well .

Stay away from sticks that have v in them kingston value ram comes to mind

3. sash macrumors 6502a

sash

Last years I’ve been buying OWC RAM — no single problem, even though I live in Belgium and not in the US (possible transportation issues etc.). Smooth service, quality stuff.

4. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

Micron/Crucial are American :)

ndraves: Crucial is a great brand to buy from in the UK. They are probably the best direct memory provider available.

5. ndraves thread starter macrumors member

Also any thoughts on the 4, 1, 1, 1GB setup on each side?

This should give me 14GB total until I have extra cash to get more 4GB sticks, and I get the impression that quantity gives a better increase in performance than matched pairs/triplets for 99% of tasks?

6. ndraves thread starter macrumors member

Cheers for that. They seem to be good price too.

7. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

That should work fine. Always go for more ram if you need it then trying to stick to triple channeling the memory.

8. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

Yeah capacity is much better than speed if you are getting page outs. You are basically losing triple channel performance and you would have more memory assigned to two slots than the others. Optimal memory performance is about balance. But real world performance difference? Probably none.

Consider though that you will have faster memory access than even the most optimal of configurations on computers produced before this current generation of processors. Not something to really worry about.

Yeah Crucial's prices are pretty good for the most part. When it costs more to import from somewhere like OWC or Transintl then you know it is a good price and their prices are currently like £93 + postage (excl. VAT) vs. £100 (excl. VAT)

9. philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

I stand corrected Crucial/Micron was found in Boise , Idaho USA. They do have a location site in Seoul South Korea hence my error. If fact they are just about all over the world.

http://www.micron.com/about/company/profile.html

this was pulled from above link.

Micron at a Glance
    Founded: October 1978, Boise, ID
    FY2010 Net Sales: $8.5 billion
    NASDAQ Symbol: MU
    Employees: ~20,000 worldwide (excludes contractors, temps, and JV employees)

Locations:

The Americas: Boise, Idaho; Folsom, California, Manassas, Virginia; Kanata, Canada; Aguadilla, Puerto Rico.

EMEA: Agrate and Avezzano, Italy; East Kilbride, Scotland; Kiryat Gat, Israel; Giesshuebl, Austria; Paris, France; Munich and Berlin, Germany; Erd, Hungary; Virginia, County Cavan, Ireland.

Asia: Tokyo, Osaka, Nishiwaki, and Tsukuba, Japan; Muar, Malaysia, Singapore; Seoul, South Korea; Taipei, Taiwan; Shanghai, Beijing, Shenzhen, and Fujian, China; Bangalore, India.