RAM upgrade for MacBook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Sousa203, Jul 28, 2008.

1. Sousa203 macrumors member

I've read that when you purchase a new macbook, the most logical upgrade to perform is to get yourself 2GB of RAM or more. Apple is sort of expensive to do though so doing it yourself would be better. Did any of you guys (who own macbooks of course), do the upgrade?

2. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

3. stone315 macrumors regular

I haven't picked up my Macbook from my college yet, but as soon as I do I'm going to. Get it from Crucial.

And upgrade the hard drive while you're at it. I'd recommend the WD Scorpio.

edit: And here's the Apple do it yourself guides:
    RAM
    Hard drive

4. m1ss1ontomars macrumors 6502

Buffalo Select RAM was the cheapest RAM available that would fit my computer, so that's what I bought. It may not be as high quality as Crucial (which I put in my old iBook), but I can't be certain, as Rember never reports anything wrong, and I haven't had any crashes specifically traceable to bad memory. In fact, none of the 3-5 kernel panics I've had in the last 2 years have been traceable to anything. :-/

EDIT: Fail; I actually used Corsair RAM to upgrade my iBook. The point is that I've always used whatever's cheapest, but it's always been perfectly good. Although if you really want to split hairs you will want to find RAM with a low CAS latency...

5. vniow macrumors G4

I don't know of anyone here who has a Macbook and hasn't upgraded the memory. Its so cheap nowadays there's almost no excuse. My MB was already upgraded to the max when I got it from a friend but before that I had a Mini. The second thing I did to it after booting it up once and making sure it worked, was upgrade the memory.

Apple sells their memory at a serious premium because they want to make the machines as similar as possible to reduce manufacturing overhead, so they're far from your best bet. There's literally hundreds of threads on which RAM to get here. Your best bet for a recommendation is the search engine.

6. kovalchuk71 macrumors 6502

What do you guys think about Kahlon?

7. sunfast macrumors 68020

sunfast

I upgraded mine with Corsair RAM. Dead easy, good value and made a big difference

8. alvenkam macrumors newbie

9. robo456 macrumors 6502

robo456

It seemed that most of the sites that I looked at show 667, but if someone could confirm the 800, that'd be great.

One thing I wasn't sure of looking at the different packages, can the MacBook take advantage of dual-channel memory? Reason I ask is the single channel is alot cheaper, and if it can't use the dual, why bother spending the extra $$.

Thanks!

--rob

10. LondonGooner macrumors regular

Upgraded my first gen macbook to 2gb so i could play WoW. I'm crap with computers, but even for me it was too dam easy. Google it and you'll find tons of easy guides showing you with pics. Takes 10 mins, easy. I got crucial also, excellent.

11. woolyback macrumors regular

Hot, hot, hot

I upgraded mine from 1Gb to 4, but I'm giving serious consideration to dropping back down (possibly to 1Gb, more likely 2Gb) just because since I upped it, it's too hot to sit with on my lap !

Obviously would need to see how performance would be as upping the memory was one of the first things I did and I've got a lot more stuff on there now, but seriously, it's that hot I'm considering it.....

12. Sousa203 thread starter macrumors member

The only thing i'm worried about is that 2GB RAM would be great, but i still have the urge to want more since i typically have have itunes, internet, AIM, and Mail running at the same time along with whatever other program i might be in the mood for that day. The concern(s) is this: #1 the heat that you mentioned and #2 how much did it cost for you to upgrade to the 4GB RAM?

13. northy124 macrumors 68020

northy124

Seeing as this thread is open and being responded to and I see no point in wasting forum space I'll ask here:
    Is this 4GB RAM good for the MacBook or should I go 2GB I'm also upgrading my HDD to 500GB so does RAM play a factor in the HDD upgrade?

14. Sousa203 thread starter macrumors member

Idk. Woolyback says he upgraded his to 4GB (see above), but he didn't say which company he got it from. Wooly, what kind (as in company) did you buy?

15. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

The Crucal 4 GB kit is fine.

robo456 Dual channel RAM is nothing more than two identical modules installed in the machine. There is no difference between the modules sold as singles and the modules sold in dual channel kits. All Intel Macs take advantage of Dual channel memory access when two matching SODIMMs (such as 1GB+1GB or 2GB+2GB) are installed, it provides a small (6% - 8%) speed boost as compared with non- matching SODIMMs (such as a 1GB + 2GB configuration).

We have MR Guides
    Guides: Mac Hardware: Buying RAM
    Guides: Mac Hadware: Installing RAM

16. m1ss1ontomars macrumors 6502

The heat generated by additional RAM is trivial compared to the heat generated by the processor or hard drive.

I regularly have iTunes, Camino, Adium, and Mail running at the same time as well as maybe a dozen little apps that I don't see (Quicksilver, PeerGuardian, etc.), and 2 GB of RAM is plenty.

Making really long animated GIFs with PhotoShop (the max of 500 frames) and using Parallels are the only 2 cases in which I have ever even thought about having more RAM.

17. demonguard macrumors newbie

I put 4gb of el cheapo GeIL RAM into mine when I got it, it's the simplest upgrade you'll ever do. Just make sure you have a short/small enough screwdriver for the small screws ;)

18. Slayerboym88 macrumors regular

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820146701

That's the RAM that I bought for my blackbook about 2 months ago. Love it so far, see no problems. I will say that my comp can get hot sometimes, but then it was getting just as hot before hand (and while slightly discomforting, nothing that is so irritating that causes any significant pain).

19. iOrlando macrumors 68000

buying the extra gig from apple directly before you get the laptop is $100. how much are we talking about for buying same amount of memory on your own and installing it?

20. woolyback macrumors regular

Sorry - should have put that; I got mine from Crucial (UK) for £75 for the 4Gb about 6 months ago.

21. robo456 macrumors 6502

robo456

Thanks for the info CR!

--rob

22. northy124 macrumors 68020

northy124

1GB £15, 2GB £30, 4GB £60 (Al prices UK and rounded up).

23. Sousa203 thread starter macrumors member

ok. that doesn't really help the Americans here lol. I know it sounds crazy but we still use $'s :)

24. northy124 macrumors 68020

northy124

OK how about this the:
    1GB $26, 2GB $52, 4GB $100 (All rounded up) according to the Crucial Site.

Edit: I've been advised to get 2GB instead of 4GB from Crucial as I own a Apple MacBook 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo (13-inch White) MB062LL/A according to the site I'd be better with 2GB is that true?

25. jemeinc macrumors 6502a

got my MB in March- immediately put a 4GB kit (2GB x 2GB) in from OWC for about $80. I've experienced no noticeable heat issues - my fan runs at 1800 on average and my temperatures are always good. Fans run faster when I'm installing software or editing video, of course, but quickly quiet down again as soon as I stop. Seems perfectly normal to me. I expected it to run hotter.

I can't imagine not getting as much memory as you can afford and your machine can handle. There was a time when the cost of memory was crazy- now it's a very affordable way to upgrade.