Ran Apple hardware test, says No trouble for 8600M GT

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thadoggfather, Jan 17, 2009.

1. thadoggfather macrumors 603

thadoggfather

but I've had vertical striping once, a few blank screens after disconnecting the AC adapter, and a few occasions of blasted contrast (that lasts for about a minute).

I admit I didn't have the disk and used Apple Hardware Test off the EFI chip (holding down F2). Do you think Apple Hardware Test is conclusive and 8600M isn't defective or should I take it into Apple? It seemed to just test memory and the logic board, but I could be wrong. and i didnt perform extensive testing.

People said they run a test that has colors all over the screen, the Apple Hardware Test I ran was just a blue screen and a button.

Also, when I ran the Doom 3 demo with 1152x768 resolution (on Leopard), it ran terribly with real low fps (not sure if it's like that for all 8600M but I heard dying ones get terrible fps)

HELP???

2. Quu macrumors 68020

Quu

All the 8600M GT's are defective. Get it replaced.

EDIT:// I should have been a little more clear with my posting here. Nearly all the original MacBook Pros that came fitted with a 8600GT in 2008 are defective except for the last few months and any replacements that were issued due to the problem.

If you have a early to mid 2008 MacBook Pro with an 8600GT get it replaced / sell it or wait for it to become defective.

3. jedivulcan macrumors 6502

The Apple Hardware Test DVD you get with your AppleCare is inconclusive. Your machine can still be busted with a successful test.

4. thadoggfather thread starter macrumors 603

thadoggfather

is there something they can run on their end to see if its actually defective?

If all 8600M GT are "junk," I don't want a logic board replacement, I want a newer MBP.

5. Radio Monk33 macrumors 6502

Don't worry about the fools who claim that every 8600 in existence is defective. Fact of the matter is that a handful of units of all those in circulation actually failed.

6. thadoggfather thread starter macrumors 603

thadoggfather

but how can geniuses know if its defective or not?

i want to take my mbp in, i'm worried it might be on its way out.

7. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

No one knows if a specific MBP is defective or for that matter the 8600 GT chip. If you take it to the Genius, it will be his/her call and based on the info you provide of the problem you will either get it replaced, fixed or swapped for a new unibody MBP.

When your card does fail Apple has said that warranty will cover since Apple has acknowledged some MBPs that contain the 8600 GTs are defective. However, Apple doesn't even know which ones.

If you feel you machine has hit the barrier in which you feel the card failed, then by all means take it; you are in your right.

8. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

i just took my MBP in tonight, because i was having strange graphics issues, and the genius hooked up an external HD marked apple graphics test, booted from it and ran something to see if i had a defective chip and he said it was so they are replacing it so there must be some way they can tell

9. amorican macrumors member

amorican

Definitely take it in. Mine was experiencing symptoms, yet passed the Genius Bar graphics test. I showed them the issues, and they replaced my logic board even though the test passed.