Random Baseball trivia

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by steamboat26, May 13, 2007.

1. steamboat26 macrumors 65816

steamboat26

For all you baseball fans, I have a couple of trivia questions:

In theory, if you could complete a game on 27 pitches (ground or fly out on the first pitch every batter). So what is the least pitches ever needed to complete a game?

Also, most homeruns by one person in a single game?

I know that there is probably some trivia site out there i could find, but i'm too lazy :D

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

58 Pitches - Charley "Red" Barrett of the Boston Braves 1944

4 home runs - 15 players, last time by Carlos Delgado in 2003

3. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

A link to the boxscore of the Red Barrett game. By comparison, Randy Johnson's 2004 perfect game took 117 pitches.

Remarkably, Barret's game lasted only one hour and fifteen minutes.

4. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

Side notes:

Both Gehrig and Adcock just missed 5. Gehrig hit a deep fly his last at bat which barely missed, and Adcock hit a double off the wall his second at bat which barely missed.

Lowe, Gehrig, Colavito, Schmidt, Cameron and Delgado hit their four home runs in consecutive at bats.

Klein, Seerey and Schmidt needed extra innings to get four home runs.

Delahanty's home runs were either all inside-the-park, or two of each (accounts vary, but in any case, he is the only one that had any inside-the-park home runs as part of a four-home-run game).

Whiten's home runs drove in 12 runs, which also tied him for the major league record for most RBIs in a game. His feat came in the second game of a doubleheader. Whiten was 0-4 in the first game but drove in the go-ahead run with a bases-loaded walk in the eight inning. His 13 RBI for the day is a MLB record for a doubleheader.

Green also doubled and singled, going 6-for-6 and setting a single-game record of 19 total bases.

Cameron and Green are the only pair of players to hit four homeruns in a single game each in the same year, and only three weeks apart.

5. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

There must be some way a batter can get himself out without a pitch being thrown.

Also, Bill Mueller is the only player to hit grand slams in a game from either side of the plate.

6. steamboat26 thread starter macrumors 65816

steamboat26

Wow, you guys really know your stuff! :eek:

Alright, here's another one, highest scoring game (combined between two teams)? and biggest blowout?
    (I remember an Orioles Braves game 8 or 10 years ago that was 25-1, but I wouldn't be surprised if there was a higher scoring game)

If anyone else has baseball trivia questions they need answering, feel free to post up (maybe it will be one i know :eek: )

7. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

And Fernando Tatis is the only player to hit two grand slams in the same inning

8. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

The only one I know of beyond that was the Cubs defeating the Philadelphia Phillies 26-23 in '22.

9. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

10. furcalchick macrumors 68020

furcalchick

why don't we make an iquiz for baseball trivia? just post a question here and i can have it ready for ipods soon.

11. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Most runs scored in one inning: 17, by the Red Sox on June 18, 1953, playing the Tigers. The Red Sox batted for 48 minutes and sent 23 men to the plate.

12. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

33 innings. They have the line score on almost every cup they sell at McCoy. :p

I like this fact about the game:
    I like this too:

13. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

And this one warms the heart:

14. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

And theres posters about it all around the concourse lol.

<3 McCoy. I used to live less than a mile from there.

Wade Boggs and Cal Ripken Jr, both Hall of Famers, played in that game.

15. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I found it on Wiki and I thought it said 32.:confused: :eek:
    My bad I read this...

16. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

That's the way I read it, too. = 32 complete.

17. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

18. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Did you also notice that Cal Ripken and Wade Boggs played in that game?

19. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

Thought this was weird, too. The 21st inning. I bet that's when it went down to 19 fans. :)

Attached Files:

20. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

If the visiting team is to win, then 27 pitches/outs + 1 game-winning home run at any time + 27 pitches/outs for the home team = 55 pitches.

If the home team is to win, then 27 pitches/outs for the visiting team + 25 pitches for the home team (8 innings * 3 pitches/outs + the first pitch of the bottom 9th as a home run to end the game) = 52 pitches.

I'm assuming games called prematurely due to rain aren't a factor here.

21. furcalchick macrumors 68020

furcalchick

bobby cox is nearing most ejections record.

here's another quiz question: have the braves ever played at fenway park for home games?

22. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

The 1914 World Series was played at Fenway, even though the Sox finished 8.5 games behind the pennant-winning Athletics. The Braves won the N.L. pennant, and played their World Series home games at Fenway because Braves Field was being renovated.

23. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Here's tough one because it requires more than baseball trivia knowledge.

Probably everybody has heard of the famous stunt pulled by Bill Veeck, Jr. when he signed a midget and had him pitch hit in a game between the Tigers and the Browns in 1951. What few know I'm guessing is that this stunt was inspired by a short story written many years earlier by a famous American writer.

Name that author! (Extra points if you can name the story and where it was first published.)

No fair looking it up. (And that's actually a hint!) :)

24. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

In theory you don't even need that many ... if you don't care about winning, and you're on the road.

24 pitches for 24 outs, and one homerun = 25. As long as weather is not a factor. I remember for a while my dad would always tell me this, and challenge me to figure out why 25 was the right answer.

there area few other variations on how to answer this question, but 25 seems to be the answer.

Now minimum pitches for a perfect game ... thats another story.

25. asxtb macrumors 6502

Who holds the record for the most homeruns in a career? ;)

This may sound sarcastic but it's not. Serious question. Who holds the record for the most homeruns in a career?