Random beach balls

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by Pagemakers, Nov 14, 2013.

1. Pagemakers macrumors 68000

Pagemakers

I’ve upgraded 2 Airs, 2 Mac Pros and an iMac to Mavericks and every one of them randomly displays the beach ball for a split second for no apparent reason.

Searching the web and I’ve seen many reports of this.

Is it happening to you?

Any fix?

2. slide023 macrumors member

slide023

It's a widespread issue. I have the same problem. 2012 MBA 4GB RAM. You could try a clean install if you haven't already.

Slide

3. TeToslaw macrumors regular

TeToslaw

4. martosprint macrumors 6502

I notice that mine does it also. The beach ball just pops up for a second or so and then disappears.

5. slide023 macrumors member

slide023

@TE

I know it's not a fix. Never worked for me, but for some they claim it has. Man, it seems like it's taking forever for 10.9.1, but these beach balls are way too much for me.

Slide

6. SgtPepper23 macrumors regular

same thing happens to me, but theres absolutely no slowdown that i've noticed. if anything, and i hope you'll forgive me, but everything seems snappier...

the beach balls just seem to show up for a spilt second, without any spinning, just a stationary beach ball

7. TeToslaw, Nov 16, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2013

TeToslaw macrumors regular

TeToslaw

After instaling new built (13B27), randomly showing beach balls, has disappeared altogether (so far).

8. slide023 macrumors member

slide023

TE

I thought the same thing too, even rebuilt the directory using Tech Tool Pro 7 after creating an eDrive ......but sure enough shortly thereafter the beach balls were back. Are they not aware of this at Apple? So many complaints about this, and they do nothing.......WTF!!!

Slide

9. Mac.User macrumors 6502

So you still have them with 10.9.1

10. kwokaaron macrumors 6502a

kwokaaron

I haven't noticed any random beachballs on the GM version. Does it make the computer pause for a second or is it just a cosmetic thing?

11. Mac.User macrumors 6502

12. slide023, Nov 17, 2013

slide023 macrumors member

slide023

Yea, unfortunately. I hope one 10.9.1 is out of beta it fixes the problem, or when 10.9.2 is released.

Mac, do you have any insight as to what is causing them? I just can't believe it's a hardware issue with my MBA. As I said I used Tech Tools Pro 7.0.2 created an edrive, booted from and ran every test. It's all good. I'm using a Mid 2012 MBA 1.8GHz 4GBRAM 128 SSD.
    Shouldn't that be adequate to run Mavericks. Not to be redundant, but it's not like they're popping up all over the place, but as soon as I see a few I think to myself it has to be something in Mavericks causing this. With ML I never have them. So I rolled back with a clean install of ML @KW It doesn't cause any performance issues, it just gets on my nerves.

Slide

13. Pagemakers thread starter macrumors 68000

Pagemakers

It's not an air problem. It happens on my air. Mac Pro and iMac.

14. slide023 macrumors member

slide023

Sgt No apologies needed, it is snappier .....I can not refute that. It does a great job for me running on 4GB of RAM. I don't know, I guess I'm just a stickler on this, but I'm defo sure they're not supposed to be there. I live in China, in Chongqing no Apple Store. But I think I'm going to call Apple support and see what they may be able to do for me. My MBA is like 6 months old. That doesn't seem too old to me, but I'd love to have a 2013 MBA with 8GB RAM.

15. old-wiz macrumors G3

I see the beachballs now and then, very brief and seem to have no impact on performance.

16. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I've been seeing them all the time since Mavericks on both of my iMac's and MacBook Pro.

It's weird, but I don't see any impact on performance or anything else.

17. Mr. McMac Suspended

Mr. McMac

Same thing happens on my Mac Mini.

18. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Do you have a self made Fusion drive? I am starting to suspect something has happened to them in Mavericks.

19. Mr. McMac Suspended

Mr. McMac

Nope. Just a stock mid 2011 Mac Mini.

20. Ccrew macrumors 68020

I do on a Mini and not seeing it.

21. Mac.User macrumors 6502

From what I have seen others say it's an issue with one of the new technologies in 10.9 What ever it is kicks in and then causes the beach ball to show for a second. So really its just a visual glitch since the system isn't really hanging.

22. pina macrumors member

I also had the problem this week, but I found out that my SSD was the cause. I replaced the SSD and since then, I didn't have any problems at all.

I even had the beal ball during the installation process over and over again. It was pretty at random moments during the installation.

23. Mac.User macrumors 6502

During Installation is a different problem. We are talking about less that one 1 second flashes of the beach ball where you can still use the system and click on things.

24. TeToslaw, Nov 17, 2013

TeToslaw macrumors regular

TeToslaw

After 1 day use: beachballs still appear, but for shorter time and less often. I hope in 10.9.2 they'll disappear altogether