• Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

Pagemakers

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 28, 2008
Manchester UK
I’ve upgraded 2 Airs, 2 Mac Pros and an iMac to Mavericks and every one of them randomly displays the beach ball for a split second for no apparent reason.

Searching the web and I’ve seen many reports of this.

Is it happening to you?

Any fix?

I’ve upgraded 2 Airs, 2 Mac Pros and an iMac to Mavericks and every one of them randomly displays the beach ball for a split second for no apparent reason.

Searching the web and I’ve seen many reports of this.

Is it happening to you?

Any fix?

It's a widespread issue. I have the same problem. 2012 MBA 4GB RAM. You could try a clean install if you haven't already.

Slide

Comment

SgtPepper23

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2010
Los Angeles, California
same thing happens to me, but theres absolutely no slowdown that i've noticed. if anything, and i hope you'll forgive me, but everything seems snappier...

the beach balls just seem to show up for a spilt second, without any spinning, just a stationary beach ball

Comment

TeToslaw

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2013
After instaling new built (13B27), randomly showing beach balls, has disappeared altogether (so far).

Last edited:
Comment
After instaling new built (13B27), randomly showing beach balls, has disappeared altogether (so far).

TE

I thought the same thing too, even rebuilt the directory using Tech Tool Pro 7 after creating an eDrive ......but sure enough shortly thereafter the beach balls were back. Are they not aware of this at Apple? So many complaints about this, and they do nothing.......WTF!!!

Slide

Comment

Mac.User

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2013
TE

I thought the same thing too, even rebuilt the directory using Tech Tool Pro 7 after creating an eDrive ......but sure enough shortly thereafter the beach balls were back. Are they not aware of this at Apple? So many complaints about this, and they do nothing.......WTF!!!

Slide

So you still have them with 10.9.1

Comment

kwokaaron

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2013
London, UK
I haven't noticed any random beachballs on the GM version. Does it make the computer pause for a second or is it just a cosmetic thing?

Comment
So you still have them with 10.9.1

Yea, unfortunately. I hope one 10.9.1 is out of beta it fixes the problem, or when 10.9.2 is released.

Mac, do you have any insight as to what is causing them? I just can't believe it's a hardware issue with my MBA. As I said I used Tech Tools Pro 7.0.2 created an edrive, booted from and ran every test. It's all good. I'm using a Mid 2012 MBA 1.8GHz 4GBRAM 128 SSD.
Shouldn't that be adequate to run Mavericks. Not to be redundant, but it's not like they're popping up all over the place, but as soon as I see a few I think to myself it has to be something in Mavericks causing this. With ML I never have them. So I rolled back with a clean install of ML @KW It doesn't cause any performance issues, it just gets on my nerves.

Slide

Last edited:
Comment
same thing happens to me, but theres absolutely no slowdown that i've noticed. if anything, and i hope you'll forgive me, but everything seems snappier...

the beach balls just seem to show up for a spilt second, without any spinning, just a stationary beach ball

Sgt No apologies needed, it is snappier .....I can not refute that. It does a great job for me running on 4GB of RAM. I don't know, I guess I'm just a stickler on this, but I'm defo sure they're not supposed to be there. I live in China, in Chongqing no Apple Store. But I think I'm going to call Apple support and see what they may be able to do for me. My MBA is like 6 months old. That doesn't seem too old to me, but I'd love to have a 2013 MBA with 8GB RAM.

Comment

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I've been seeing them all the time since Mavericks on both of my iMac's and MacBook Pro.

It's weird, but I don't see any impact on performance or anything else.

Comment

Mac.User

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2013
Yea, unfortunately. I hope one 10.9.1 is out of beta it fixes the problem, or when 10.9.2 is released.

Mac, do you have any insight as to what is causing them? I just can't believe it's a hardware issue with my MBA. As I said I used Tech Tools Pro 7.0.2 created an edrive, booted from and ran every test. It's all good. I'm using a Mid 2012 MBA 1.8GHz 4GBRAM 128 SSD.
Shouldn't that be adequate to run Mavericks. Not to be redundant, but it's not like they're popping up all over the place, but as soon as I see a few I think to myself it has to be something in Mavericks causing this. With ML I never have them. So I rolled back with a clean install of ML @KW It doesn't cause any performance issues, it just gets on my nerves.

Slide

From what I have seen others say it's an issue with one of the new technologies in 10.9 What ever it is kicks in and then causes the beach ball to show for a second. So really its just a visual glitch since the system isn't really hanging.

Comment

pina

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2010
I also had the problem this week, but I found out that my SSD was the cause. I replaced the SSD and since then, I didn't have any problems at all.

I even had the beal ball during the installation process over and over again. It was pretty at random moments during the installation.

Comment

Mac.User

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2013
I also had the problem this week, but I found out that my SSD was the cause. I replaced the SSD and since then, I didn't have any problems at all.

I even had the beal ball during the installation process over and over again. It was pretty at random moments during the installation.

During Installation is a different problem. We are talking about less that one 1 second flashes of the beach ball where you can still use the system and click on things.

Comment

TeToslaw

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2013
After 1 day use: beachballs still appear, but for shorter time and less often. I hope in 10.9.2 they'll disappear altogether

Last edited:
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.