Random Beachballs

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by jpeezy, Jul 30, 2013.

1. jpeezy macrumors regular

This has happened on every release so far. They're completely random and last less than a second. Anyone else seeing this?

2. rayhigh macrumors member

Occasionally. Sounds like a good name for a band though. 'We are Random Beachballs. Hello, Cleveland!'

3. Cougarcat macrumors 604

Not to scare you, but that sounds like a hard drive dying to me. Do you hear noise? Could be unrelated to 10.9.

4. dumb macrumors member

I get that too, as you said, it's less than a second but just the sight of the beach ball irks me.

I dual boot Mavericks and ML, and I don't see beach ball on ML. Good to know it's just not me.

5. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

How long would they last performing in Detroit?

6. dsdevries macrumors member

7. freedevil macrumors 6502a

freedevil

Same here.

8. AppleDeviceUser macrumors 6502

AppleDeviceUser

It happens to me the odd time and I have a brand new MBPR with 512 SSD, I would hate for it to die!

----------

Mine is all blue in Safari and rainbow everywhere else. But it does happen sometimes in Safari.

9. HenryDJP macrumors 603

I've never had random beach balls upon every release but I would say it's possible since Mavericks...well....hasn't been Released. ;)

10. jpeezy thread starter macrumors regular

Every DP release of Mavericks. ;)

11. slide023, Aug 3, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2013

slide023 macrumors member

slide023

Beach Balls Here As Well

I get them, but not on a consistent basis. Not only in Safari; they just seem to be random.

I don't think my SSD is bad, my MacBook Air is five months old. I'm guessing it is related to 10.9

Slide

12. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

Not enough info. It could be any number of processes causing this none of which having anything to do with Mavrix.

13. jpeezy thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, I'm aware of that. This was just a generalized question, if anyone else was seeing the same thing.

14. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

Do you have anything else running at Log in? I'd start by eliminating all of those items. Unless they're part of OSX they aren't even certified for 10.9 yet.

Or... is this just a clean and pristine install of 10.9 and nothing else? That's what I have and no beach balls.

15. jpeezy thread starter macrumors regular

It was a fresh install. While I agree this is probably related to an app I have installed. Again, I was just wondering if anyone else was seeing this issue.

If I had to guess, it may be related to having Mail opened all the time.

16. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

But as a developer, the "issue" is meaningless without determining the cause. Correct?

Why guess? Close Mail and see what happens. Report via the Developer network. After all, you *are* a developer, right? :eek:

17. jpeezy thread starter macrumors regular

True but if no one else had this problem then I would have spent more time troubleshooting, however, others are so I haven't. I will say that it happens most when using Safari.

I had Mail closed for testing all morning and just saw the first one so there goes that idea. ;)

18. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

Ever get to the bottom of this?

I clean installed the GM on a separate partition and with very few things installed on it (3-4 app store apps) i was having these random, split second beach balls in every app (Safari, Finder, Airmail, Messages).

Didn't affect performance but did make me wonder "this is the version that's going to the public in two weeks?"

19. Zmijutin macrumors member

yup, random beach balls here to :) But everything works just fine.

20. AAPLGeek macrumors regular

I'm getting these too. Totally random and last for a split second.

Running GM on an early 2011 MBP.

21. w0lf macrumors 65816

w0lf

Yeah I've noticed these a few times when using Chrome or playing a Steam game.

Not really a big issue since they seem to do nothing.

22. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

Unfortunately, the Random Beachballs seem to be the house band in Cupertino, some days...

23. coldjeanzzz macrumors 6502a

Yep getting them here, just got one about 30 seconds ago.

Hoping it's not a sign of things to come :eek:

24. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

I get it but I think it's just the cursor changing. Nothing seems to be unresponsive it just becomes my cursor for a bit and then changes back. Looking at iStat while this occurs, CPU remains idle. I think it's a bug, at least in my case.

25. N19h7m4r3 macrumors 65816

N19h7m4r3

I constantly had these, and it was every time I used Opera 18's developer build.
    The GPU renderer would get stuck on not responding, and then I would get sporadic beach balls, everywhere form 1-5 seconds.

I simply stopped using it, and as for Safari it could be the GPU acceleration in it.

I can't say I've noticed it in any games just yet, but it screwed up a few FCPX exports when it happened.
    Check Activity monitor, and you'll see a 100% instant drop in CPU use during those beach balls/freezes.