random freezing on multiple 2015 rMBP....

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kofman13, Apr 16, 2017.

1. kofman13, Apr 16, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2017

kofman13 macrumors member

Hey all, got my first retina macobok pro 2015 this week. about 3 times in 3 days, the computer would completely lock up, forcing me to do a hard reset. sometimes while using the laptop, sometimes when trying to wake up the screen from idle power saving after a few minutes of not using it. while not not catastrophic, very annoying and worrysome that it might happen while i am doing something very crucial. so far I have just been using chrome and messages ( i have yet to setup all my audio software from my desktop).

I exchanged the MBP already twice, all of them have the same problem which makes me think it is a sierra issue on 13 inch 2015 rMBP? all three are certified refurbished from apple.

anyone else had this issue before?

I have tried to go to Console app to try to find logs of what happened but i am new to the app and the only thing i can find in the logs is logs since the last reboot which is AFTER the issue happened which made me do hard reset

I found the "system.log" there a ton of stuff... what do i look for?

2. ZapNZs macrumors 68000

ZapNZs

• Did you set your account up manually, or did you migrate it over from a Time Machine backup using Migration Assistant, or any other backup restore method?
    • Have you installed any other Applications other than Chrome? (i.e., is this otherwise a factory installation>)
    • Are you connected to any external devices when this happens?
    • Does this issue happen in Safe Mode?
    • Have you tried installing El Capitan using a bootable USB installer? (I believe you can still do this with the 2015 - With the exception of my 2016, I still use it as my host OS for stability reasons.)

3. kofman13 thread starter macrumors member

-Manually, no migration
    -i have only installed chrome and Polymail
    -no external devices
    -Have not tried safe mode, but this issue doesnt always happen everyday but even if it did I would have to use safemode for hours to try to wait for it to happen
    -all the models i had came shipped with el capitan, and i either upgraded right away or usb clean installed to sierra, so i have not really used el capitan on any of the machines i used this week for much time. but I do have an el capitan USB laying around so I might try it at some point. I like Siri and night shift and a few other sierra features, but if in the end i needed to go back to el capitan to have more stability then I will do it.

i used apple care chat support today (might as well use what i paid for eh?) and the support person said to try to boot into recovery and perform first aid on my boot disk in disk utlity and see if it happens again. so far the issue hasnt come back. but again, there was one day this week where i didnt have the issue even once, so there is still a chance it might happen later today or tomorrow.

if it turns out that sierra is just unstable on 2015 rMBP, then i will have to accept going back to el capitan

4. OSX15 macrumors newbie

Yes I have the same thing going on.. I've been to the Apple Store at least three times this month. According to them it seems related to macOS Sierra.

5. AgentPotato macrumors newbie

AgentPotato

Are you guys using 10.12.4? I have similar stability issues (hard freeze after sleep) since updating, that were not present in 10.12.3.

6. kofman13 thread starter macrumors member

yes i am on .4 .... 8/10 times hte hard freezing happens, its after black screen/sleep. but rarely also during use. but also i am thinking it might be google keep app which runs in chrome, i use that 24/7 at work for note taking for my school students during lessons. I looked up the time stamps for the time that the freeze happened and see lots of stuff related to chrome, here are the screen shots.... maybe someone can decipher for me.
    at 4:59 pm, i woke pressed on the trackpad to wake up the laptop and thats when it froze, trying to find something for that time in system log, this is all i see

Attached Files:

7. Bubble99 macrumors 6502

See thread https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...xing-and-first-impression-experience.2042272/

That seem to be bug with 10.12.4

People are reporting the OS freezing and crashing after update to 10.12.4

IS there way you can go back to 10.12.3 ?

8. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604