Random restarts

wizzywig27

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 27, 2012
Hi all

Have an iPhone 6 running iOS 8.0.2 and phone is randomly restarting. Went back to it the other day and asked me to enter PIN after phone restarts, didn't think much of it, then when using it, just restarted, screen will go a blue colour (sometimes blue/black) and then restart, sometimes it will boot back up, others just stay switched off.

Guessing I am going to have to reinstall iOS but not really happy as if there is something wrong with an app I've downloaded the same will happen!

wizzywig27

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 27, 2012
To add to this, it may be also worth pointing out that if anyone texts me or calls, and I do t read it, when the reboot happens I lose the unread texts

eclipse01

macrumors 68030
May 16, 2011
Eau Claire, WI
Hi all

Have an iPhone 6 running iOS 8.0.2 and phone is randomly restarting. Went back to it the other day and asked me to enter PIN after phone restarts, didn't think much of it, then when using it, just restarted, screen will go a blue colour (sometimes blue/black) and then restart, sometimes it will boot back up, others just stay switched off.

Guessing I am going to have to reinstall iOS but not really happy as if there is something wrong with an app I've downloaded the same will happen!
had this happen on my g/fs old 5s, we tried everything Apple requested
-reset settings
-restore phone
-restore from new

hate to say this but the only thing that fixed it was a new phone

kingdom23

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2011
I had loads of random restarts when in ios 7.0.2. Eventually Apple acknowledged it was a bug which was fixed in a subsequent update and it never occurred again.

Woochifer

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2007
Random restarts were a known issue in the early versions of iOS 7. Apple largely fixed it when 7.0.4 came out. Look up "white screen of death."

I've seen sporadic reports of random resets occurring with the iPhone 6/6 Plus, but nothing like the widespread crashes and resets that accompanied iOS 7 and affected iOS devices across the board.

dfran1

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2008
Hi,
I posted
Hi all,

My iPhone 6 plus 128 GB steel gray(verizon) has maybe rebooted when I first purchased, THEN I decided to do something to change the way it looks and I further looked into this issue, AND today I went to apple and had mine replaced. So lets start on my findings

1. "Settings" then "display & Brightness" under the display zoom "View"
"Standard" OR "Zoomed"

2. "Settings" then "Touch ID & Passcode" then "iPhone Unlock"

Now My phone would just reboot itself after I made this change like this

3. Reboot, show lock screen for about 1 to 5 seconds then Reboot, show lock screen for about 1 to 5 seconds then Reboot, over and over and over UNLESS I typed in my password quick enough to get into my iPhone.

This happened every time I either restarted my phone or it randomly restarted itself, NOW this only did this AFTER I CHANGED #1 above
To STANDARD

So at 3 am this morning I woke up thinking (I know that is very dangerous), that my phone maybe randomly rebooted before 1 or 2 times but never like this when I was in zoomed mode, So I put my phone back in zoomed mode and the reboots (my #3 above) STOPPED!!!!! So I did some digging and found this thread and an apple thread on this, Well on the apple thread someone posted that the touch ID was the cause for them so I re enabled Standard and disabled the touch and guess what No more #3 above. But I did get a random reboot.

I have also read that from several posters, they started from creating a new iPhone and have random reboots, SO that does not seem to help also, as that is not on my list at the moment to do.
Also some have posted that the new IOS 8.1 beta does not fix the random reboots. ( I have no Idea yet where to get it)

So I made an appointment at the apple store and my phone was swapped out today, I just got done loading it up and reboots same as my #3 above in standard and touch ID on. So a new phone does not fix this!

The only thing so far is putting your phone to zoomed, try that and post back please, if it still does random reboots try to ALSO disable touch ID.

PLEASE post back

Thanks to all!!!

EDIT : I updated to 8.0.2 and phone just reboot, reboot, reboot,,, at this point I am setting up as a new iphone, BUT this should not have to be done this way!

here

but in the end, even after a phone swap (that did not fix my issue) I reloaded as a new iPhone, and so far absolutely no reboots. I will post more findings in that thread.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.