Random shutdowns?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by flyingphil, Jul 10, 2009.

1. flyingphil macrumors newbie

Hi,
    I have a new 32gb IPhone 3G S. It occasionally(several times in the last week) crashes or shuts down and goes to the screen with the little rotating timer. I have to power off and wait and power up again to recover. I'm new to the Iphone and was wondering is this normal (like the MS blue screen of death) or have I got a dodgy phone?

Thanks

2. MooneyFlyer macrumors 65816

MooneyFlyer

I was talking to a friend yesterday that this happened to as well during our call. This is my second iPhone (3GS) and into my 3rd year overall and this rarely, if ever, happens to me. I would consider contacting Apple to log the issue (and run through their required resetting/etc.) and if it continues see about getting an exchange.

(Provided you haven't jailbroken/etc.)

3. pugnut macrumors 6502a

Same

His has happened to me once. I actually think it is related to something with the network, that AT&T was updating. I know I can not prove it , but there were adjustments made to the carrier settings. I think the phone recovered when the updating was completed.

Just a thought

4. jaycarroll macrumors regular

Happened to me too, Support had me do a restore and sync (not restore from backup) and I cannot reproduce now - whereas prior to that I could reproduce just by browsing the camera roll or recording video.

5. Mirtos macrumors newbie

Random shutdowns on my new 3G S 32GB

SaSame problem here, random shutdowns once or twice a day ... had tried everything: hard reset, restore from backup, reset all and reinstalled all data from the scratch ... remove "suspicious" applications, disable Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, etc ... still can not reproduce or figure out why or when the shutdown will take place ... also, quite bizarre, if iPhone is on the main (power or on PC through USB cable), iPhone shutdowns and immediately restarts, but when not on cable then shutdowns without any indication or warning (just the rotating timer) ... Can't contact Apple since the iPhone been sent to me by a seller from Italy ... Anybody can advice/ help what to do? Thanks :(

6. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Restore as new as the poster said above or take it back.

Edit: Guess you can't take it back, huh. Well try the restore (and do a DFU restore and restore as new).

7. Mirtos macrumors newbie

Wondering, can I restore all my data (i.e. music, applications, etc) after I DFU restore my iPhone? Thanks

8. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

See this post by me:

9. Mirtos macrumors newbie

Done the DFU restore successfully, first day without any unwanted or unexpected shutdowns ... managed to restore all my data ... nothing lost ... iPhone 3G S 32 GB acts like out of the box ... lets wish that will not shutdown during the next few days ... wish me luck guys ...

10. Mirtos macrumors newbie

Almost 24 hours without a crash (or unwanted shutdown) ... next project to enable Tethering .... wish me luck (again) :)