Random small issue...

Kal-037

macrumors 68000
Original poster
I love my new iPad but it seems the touch screen keyboard will have an occasional issue when typing, sometimes it takes me 3-4 times to press and get the (i,o,p,u,r and some of the other) keys to go, could this be a software issue? I restored my iPad and did a normal reset and it didn’t seem to change. I guess I could see if my local Apple store can swap it, but I don’t want to play that game or jump the gun if it is not really a hardware issue.

Kallum.

chrism_scotland

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2018
I love my new iPad but it seems the touch screen keyboard will have an occasional issue when typing, sometimes it takes me 3-4 times to press and get the (i,o,p,u,r and some of the other) keys to go, could this be a software issue? I restored my iPad and did a normal reset and it didn’t seem to change. I guess I could see if my local Apple store can swap it, but I don’t want to play that game or jump the gun if it is not really a hardware issue.

Kallum.
I’ve had the same issue actually but didn’t think to report it anywhere - seems like it could be software or hardware, I had a gen 2 Touch Keyboard replaced for the same thing.

Lobwedgephil

macrumors 601
Apr 7, 2012
Someone else had this same issue in a post last night, and had the same with a swap. I haven't seen this on mine.

KUKitch

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2008
England
I have noticed this with my new 11 as well... just thought I was having to get used to the new size from a 12.9, even though that doesn’t really make sense. I am noticing more typos than I’m used to however

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
The only negative I have had with the keyboard is when going fast it will sometime register that I "swiped" the key rather than hitting cause the alternative character to be used. Overall it is much like my 10.5 and works quite well.

Very dry fingers can also be a problem.

Kal-037

macrumors 68000
Original poster
I was thinking maybe it was my glass cover, but you all have the issue where you hit a key and hear the clicking sound but it doesn’t input it unless you double tap. When I flip the iPad to a different orientation, it still will not quite hit the keys, it’s mostly just the o, t, and p letters in one orientation, but then the w, a, and i keys
in the other. If it were hardware wouldn’t all the keys just not work?

It’s not horrible, I just don’t want to swap and play that game if it is only a fixable software glitch.

*just to make sure, I’m talking about the digital on-screen keyboard not the folio thing

K.

KUKitch

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2008
England
I was thinking maybe it was my glass cover, but you all have the issue where you hit a key and hear the clicking sound but it doesn’t input it unless you double tap. When I flip the iPad to a different orientation, it still will not quite hit the keys, it’s mostly just the o, t, and p letters in one orientation, but then the w, a, and i keys
in the other. If it were hardware wouldn’t all the keys just not work?

It’s not horrible, I just don’t want to swap and play that game if it is only a fixable software glitch.

*just to make sure, I’m talking about the digital on-screen keyboard not the folio thing

K.
Bringing this back again, I tend to have it happen with the keys in the center... typing this sentence it left off the t in the and both gs in bringing (until I edited). It seems to just not register the taps sometimes, and I don’t know why

Rck1984

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2017
The Netherlands

Kallum.
I’ve noticed the same thing... thought I was going crazy.

appleguy123

macrumors 604
Apr 1, 2009
15 minutes in the future
This is really weird. I’ve noticed this too, especially with the top row of keys. Random skips of letters I know I typed. I attributed it to getting used to the smaller keyboard coming from the 12.9” but it’s not getting better even after 2 weeks with the device. Starting to suspect there is some issue with the device itself.