Rant: 2G iPhone on 3.0

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kidwithdimples, Jul 25, 2009.

1. kidwithdimples macrumors 6502a

- Upgraded from 2.2 to 3.0 on T-Mobile jailbroken
    - Used it for a few days (I upgraded it last week)
    - Been using 3.0 and it's not bad
    - Turned off edge, push, notifications, brightness all the way to down, wifi

BUT THE FREAKIN' BATTERY LIFE SUCKS. I doubt it's a problem with my iPhone. When I had 2.2 my iPhone lasted for at least two days with a charge. This 3.0 doesn't even last 7-8 hours. It's crazy.

/rant

Yes I know there are many threads and I should have posted in one of those threads but I couldn't.

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Join the club....2G does that from time to time. I have to be careful now.

3. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Here's some food for thought.

I have an original iPhone with 3.1 on it. If I let it sit with no SIM card in it, it's dead in 3 days.

However, when it had 2.2.1 installed on it with no SIM card, it sat for almost a month before it died.

BIIIIIIIIG difference.

Another thing... I didn't have push installed or turned on.

4. kidwithdimples thread starter macrumors 6502a

I really don't care about landslide keyboard or copy and paste feature. I had that feature on 2.2. I downloaded a plugin from Cydia.

Is there any instructions on going back from 3.0 to 2.2?

5. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=753410

This works for me. I've tried it on 2 different iPhones twice.

6. kidwithdimples thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the instructions.

However iPhone started acting differently and the battery lasted for 20 hours!!

7. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

What do you mean by "acting differently" and 20 hour battery is awesome!

8. Pattycerts macrumors 6502

Settings- general- reset- reset all settings.

Night and day difference.

9. chstr macrumors 6502a

chstr

what exactly does that do? I dont want it to reset something I need

10. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

All your preferences and settings are reset. Information, such as your contacts and calendars, and media, such as your songs and videos, aren’t deleted.

11. Pattycerts macrumors 6502

Yup, it maintains all of your data. You only need to redo your settings and preferences.

12. bmcgrath macrumors 65816

bmcgrath

To be honest. I love my 2G. Especially cause down here in Australia no one has the 2G and it always stands out. :)

But since updating to 3.0 I've had nothing but complaints about speed, a few bugs, and most of all battery life is rubbish.
    I could go the whole day pretty much with 5hrs of usage and make it to the end of my day. Now I get about 3 hrs usage and usually completely dead by the end of my day which is rather frustrating to be honest.

More reason I believe to upgrade to a 3GS :D

13. machacker macrumors regular

I have to say I am having the COMPLETE opposite experience!

I got the 3gs on launch day and I was happy for about...a week. The battery would be dead 3/4 through the day and I would be searching for a plug to charge the thing and at least be able to check my email. Wifi was a useless thing as well, seeing as it never held a connection for more than 5 minutes. Needless to say I was frustrated beyond reason.

So I sold it online, and used the money to buy a 2g. Simply because I loved my 2g and I wanted that experience again. So I bought one, and I love it. The battery lasts DAYS without needing to be charged or even really looked at twice. I can talk for hours without a serious drain. A 30 minute conversation on the 3gs would drain it to 40%, while a 30 minute conversation doesn't even change my battery meter on the 2g.

I love my 2g, and I don't really seeing myself upgrading until next years phone comes out.