RANT against computers.. Suggestions for cloning FAT32 Win XP Boot camp

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by npaisnel, Dec 14, 2013.

1. npaisnel macrumors member

I thought this was going to be relatively straightforward..but no...after 2 maybe 3 days, still have not done it.

Eventually managed to get a Win XP SP3 installed on BC partition..had to use FAT32 since every time I tried to use NTFS I got the

press any key to boot from CD... Disk Error.

Found this was because it seems you can't use NTFS for Boot Camp only FAT32..so finally got the XP installed as I want it.

Mac Disk Utility has no clone option.Chronosync, Carbon Copy, Super Duper all seem not to be able to do it.
    WinClone only supports NTFS.. which seems pointless as you cant seem to install a NTFS boot camp install.
    Thought I'd try Acronis Disk Image..but that will only clone a whole disk..not a partition..or when I finally get somewhere..Acronis cant see the FAT disk partitions created by Disk Utility.

I have this Boot camp partition I'd like to clone an also a completely separate drive from a laptop (Win 7) that I'd also like to clone to a smaller disk.

This is as much as a frustrated rant at how much i actually HATE ALLL F>>ING COMPUTERS as in hope of any help.

But if any one has any guidance as to even if cloning a boot camp partition to another disk is actually possible I'd be very grateful.
    Have been pi***&ing around with this on / off for a few weeks now and am getting ready put an axe throught this bloody mac and go back to a pen and paper..

He;p before I explode with sheer rage and frustration...please :D

2. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

I haven't used WinClone in a while, but at least sometime over the last year or so. I certainly does FAT32. I only required NTFS if you are going to expand the NTFS partition to fill the GUID (BootCamp partition).

That all aside, I highly recommend it. I've used it many times to either move BootCamp to another drive and/or to resize an existing NTFS to a new size BootCamp. They've always been bootable afterwards.

3. npaisnel thread starter macrumors member

Nope...maybe you have an old DMG you could post up for me..but the version I have does not support FAT32...see screen grab.

can't even convert to NTFS from within windows..that option not on the current system..Possibly can re enable it...but.////jsut more work...

Attached Files:

4. Quackers macrumors 6502a

5. npaisnel thread starter macrumors member

6. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Hummm... I know it used to, but since it couldn't resize FAT32, I converted to NTFS (running XP), so I wouldn't have a way of knowing it dropped support. Sorry that didn't help.

7. Ccrew macrumors 68020

Umm, it's a command line option, it's part of Windows.

convert drive letter: /fs:ntfs

So it it's c:

Convert C: /fs:ntfs

8. npaisnel thread starter macrumors member

ahh interesting..I remember seeing it as an icon or as a right click menu option... been years since i used windoze on a regular basis

can easily try that

thanks

although now, I am only doing it because of ...well...why ..sheer bloody mindedness really..started so I'l finish.

Initially I only did a boot camp install to allow using WinFlash to flash a custom firmware on to a free 4870 1GB card..an improvement over my original 256mb ATI HD 2600 XT'S

9. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

Windows can be installed to NTFS partitions in Bootcamp.

If you are cloning to a drive/partition equal to or larger than your original drive/partition, one option would be to use the dd command in Terminal. This can be done in either Mac OS X or Linux.

10. npaisnel thread starter macrumors member

Really ?? odd when ever I try I get the
    "Press any key to boot from CD. Disk Error. Press any key to restart."

https://discussions.apple.com/message/5750443#5750443

The only solution that worked for me was to use FAT32 full format..any NTFS option failed..I'll try again,

Thanks

11. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

I have installed Windows with NTFS on quite a few Macs including MacBooks, MacBook Pros, Mac Pros, and an iMac. I didn't have to employ any tricks or workarounds.

12. npaisnel thread starter macrumors member

Great, cheers..good to know.

I am only doing it for sheer bloody mindedness now...cant be beaten be a bloody computer!!

I wanted a boot camp XP partition for one reason..to Flash firmware to a GPU..done that now..but will give it another try

thanks again for the encouragement