Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nykwil

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 5, 2002
Cyberspace
:mad::mad::mad::mad:

This happened on wednesday. I came home to my door broken and ajar. The thief took my PS3, my Wii, AppleTV and my MacBook.

Out of all the days that I decide not to take it out with me :(

It's just such a sad state we live in to have to deal with these things in the society with live in today. I'm mad and sad and all sorts of confused like, "why me?" Why'd this have to happen? I pick up trash newspapers and throw em in the recycling bin on my commute to work everyday, why'd this have to happen?

I guess eventually it sunk it that, yeah the thieves made away with all my hard earned gear that I worked 9-5 for but at least I wasn't home when it happened and who knows what would've happened then. It's such an unsettling feeling knowing that you might not be safe in your own apt. :(

In the end I'll work and buy another laptop (this time ill get renter's insurance) and appletv.

Just wanted to vent and share.

mousouchop

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2008
New York
That is very unfortunate. I feel bad that you don't even have the proper insurances to cover this kind of loss.

I agree that the world we live in is very much in a sad state, and it is a hard situation when you don't feel safe in the one place that should be your sanctuary.

I hope that some justice will be served, but as is usually the case with these situations I am sure you will have to suffer in silence.

I wish you good health and safety in the future. And a speedy ascension to a financial recovery large enough to get you on a mac again. ;D

yousoldtheworld

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2009
nowhere, Indiana
I'm sorry that happened. I've had an apartment broken into before, and while I didn't lose nearly as much, I know how awful it is to have your sense of security in your home compromised.

n20nine

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2008
Sorry to hear that. I had my old PowerBook G4 12" stolen at a golf course, i feel your pain.

BTW, isnt there a software that tracks your computer's location? i think it stays in the system, hidden. not sure whats it called, but i think i would install that on the next macbook i buy.

rust.puppet

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2008
Ashtabula, OH
if you havent already, call the proper authorities because when my friends house got broken into, they had 3 computers stolen (including a imac g3) and they later found them at a drug house they busted. the only thing was that she couldn't tell them the serials because they were immature and threw away all paperwork for there electronics.

but you never know. :)

tMac85

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2007
in a great place
just to ask, but in your sig it says you also have a macpro. did they leave that behind? I would guess since you didnt mention it, and you are obviously typing on something.

anyway, sorry to hear that. I had that happen several years back. Its amazing how violated and unsafe you can instantly feel.

Nykwil

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 5, 2002
Cyberspace
just to ask, but in your sig it says you also have a macpro. did they leave that behind? I would guess since you didnt mention it, and you are obviously typing on something.

anyway, sorry to hear that. I had that happen several years back. Its amazing how violated and unsafe you can instantly feel.

yeah they left it behind they only went after the small and easy stuff to carry. they left my 40 inch samsung as well

Nykwil

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 5, 2002
Cyberspace
if you havent already, call the proper authorities because when my friends house got broken into, they had 3 computers stolen (including a imac g3) and they later found them at a drug house they busted. the only thing was that she couldn't tell them the serials because they were immature and threw away all paperwork for there electronics.

but you never know. :)

already filled out a report with local police gave em serial numbers and everything. im not expecting much.

glitch44

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2006
i'm sorry this happened to you. not to make you paranoid, but i urge you to beef up your security before you replace everything. a friend of mine had his place broken into, they waited for new stuff to be bought with the insurance money, then broke in again because they knew they could/ knew the schedule.

obviously, it's best not live in a state of constant paranoia, and at the end of the day it's just "stuff" and it's better than getting stabbed/ shot for it, but i just thought i'd warn you.

schizoidwoman

macrumors regular
Just to echo what everyone else said here and to say how sorry I am about what happened. I really hope something comes of the police report but if not, wish you loads of better luck for the future and please don't let it make you cynical, you keep on recycling those newspapers! :)

war eagle

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2008
Same thing happened to me this past summer. Stole my sisters television and my MacBook. Sucked bad, didnt have renters insurance either.

We got it now and a security system and a dog.

Ariez

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2007
I had my apartment broken into. They took my 360, and ps2 but somehow left the laptop there :confused: It was probably a quick in and out and they didnt notice the ibook sitting on the floor.

synagence

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
Can't believe people have thousands of dollars/pounds worth of gear in a rented apt without insurance.

SHADO

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2008
Beach
Can't believe people have thousands of dollars/pounds worth of gear in a rented apt without insurance.

I don't think that's what the OP wants to hear right now. I think they get the message about insurance already. Don't compound it.

yoppie

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2007
i'm sorry this happened to you. not to make you paranoid, but i urge you to beef up your security before you replace everything. a friend of mine had his place broken into, they waited for new stuff to be bought with the insurance money, then broke in again because they knew they could/ knew the schedule.

obviously, it's best not live in a state of constant paranoia, and at the end of the day it's just "stuff" and it's better than getting stabbed/ shot for it, but i just thought i'd warn you.

It sounds like your friend was robbed by friends/acquaintances who knew what he had since they got him a second time too.

To the OP: Sorry to hear that. I hope the police are able to help you recover your stuff.

aznguyen316

macrumors 68010
Oct 1, 2008
Tampa, FL
Ouch, I feel like I could be in the same situation as you. I'm sorry for your loss, I know it's just typed words, but you seem to be taking it much better than I would if this happened to me. I have a PS3/360 MacBook and also a 40" Samsung! I rent an apt but don't have renters insurance either hmmm I just don't know much about it all. I'm definitely going to keep track of the serial #'s for the electronics so I guess thanks for the heads up b/c I can see this can happen to anyone.

Nykwil

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 5, 2002
Cyberspace
the reason I never got renters insurance was I live at this apt for a good amount of time and nothing bad has ever happened. Only recently has the area gotten kind of unsafe and it didn't occur to me to purchase insurance. Of course it takes something like what happened to kick you into full gear. Now I'm considering moving out and insurance options.

liquidtrend

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2008
HOUSTON, TX
the reason I never got renters insurance was I live at this apt for a good amount of time and nothing bad has ever happened. Only recently has the area gotten kind of unsafe and it didn't occur to me to purchase insurance. Of course it takes something like what happened to kick you into full gear. Now I'm considering moving out and insurance options.

sometimes lessons are very expensive to learn.
im sorry of your loss. but as you said...much better than you being home during the break in.
when i first moved into my own place i didnt even think about home owners insurance...but once a friend of mine had his place broken into, i jumped on the bandwagon because i saw all the distress it puts people through.
sorry it had to be you.

Nykwil

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 5, 2002
Cyberspace
Ouch, I feel like I could be in the same situation as you. I'm sorry for your loss, I know it's just typed words, but you seem to be taking it much better than I would if this happened to me. I have a PS3/360 MacBook and also a 40" Samsung! I rent an apt but don't have renters insurance either hmmm I just don't know much about it all. I'm definitely going to keep track of the serial #'s for the electronics so I guess thanks for the heads up b/c I can see this can happen to anyone.

yeah luckily they didn't take my 40" samsung...I assume it was a quick run through grab and go.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.