Rant: This is getting ridiculous!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by suneohair, Jun 11, 2007.

1. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

Has anyone noticed that Apple has been paying way more attention to the notebooks? I mean, they have been updated much more frequently are we supposed to all get crippled laptops? Yes, some of you may know I wanted a mac pro update but still where is the love for the desktop lovers?

I am quite bummed at the lack for updates on the hardware. I have hope for tomorrow because I love Apple, but yeah this sucks.

2. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

IMO notebooks are the future of computing for people who don't need huge workstations. They take up way less room and are much more convenient.

However, I'm not really sure why it's been so long for desktop updates. Might be because Apple's notebook marketshare is like 12% but their desktop marketshare is like 5%.

3. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Well, the Mac Pro doesn't need an update, and all other desktops from Apple are consumer models, so WWDC wouldn't be the right place for an announcement.

4. suneohair thread starter macrumors 68020

suneohair

And why do you think it doesn't need an update? 8 core? I think not. Aside from the addition of an option nothing has changed in about a year.

5. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Not only that but they are laptops underneath as well!

6. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

And why do you think it needs an update? What kind of updates do you expect? ...Do you want them to add a coffee maker? :p

7. suneohair thread starter macrumors 68020

suneohair

Lets see:

Intel price drops on Xeons = shift in CPUs offered for exampl 3.0Ghz in the stock model.

RAM: 2GB. FB-DIMMs are much cheaper and with the MBP at 2GB there is no reason. You can give me that everyone BTOs but I don't. I would like a decent amount of RAM so I don't have to shell out more money.

Video: Way out of date. 8xxx Nvidia in the stock model is necesary, again the MBP update lends to that idea. Plus better top end options as the X1900XT is out of date now.

HD: 500GB.

Mobo: Stoakley-Seaburg. I don't expect nor do I really care, but it is possible. I think the above options though are necessary.

Those are the updates that are more than possible in the Mac Pro. Everything in it is outdated, if not by new tech than by the current pricing on the parts.

8. yodermk macrumors member

How about:

* 2GB RAM base
    * GForce 8 series graphics
    * Price drop

Definitely time ...

9. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

yeah they are. the mac pro is the only real desktop. but laptops are more energy efficient

10. dralbertqnixon macrumors newbie

If you needed a Mac Pro, you probably would have bought one by now. Just keep waiting if you want an update.

11. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

The Mac Pro is fine...from what I hear its more a price drop then adding new stuff. The Mac Mini and iMac are in a FAR worse spot.

12. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

I have been waiting for an iMac revison or Mac Pro and display revisions to buy. Not waiting till October for Leopard to my new machine. The MBP and MB were updated in Oct and Nov and the iMacs in early Sept. The iMacs should have come out last week, the MBP and MB this week or next. Now instead they speed bumped the MB, rolled out the SR LED MBPs and with WWDC showed us a couple new Leopard features and showed us reruns of most of the others for most of the keynote, along with games are coming, Safari for Windows - um who cares, and oh yeah iPhone developer stuff. Now we won't see the desktops or displays this month b/c unless it Tues or Wed this week, they don't want it to be too new of news when they switch all their attention to the phone in 2 1/2 weeks. Don't get me wrong, the phone is great, but I want an aluminum "industrial design" iMac with SR or a revision to the Mac Pro and displays and I don't want to wait another 4-6 weeks, which even if they intro'd it this week, it probably wouldn't ship for that long anyway. If they string us out till Labor Day for iMac revisions, that's just wrong.

13. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

I waited for Apple to move on from the X1600 in the MBP for what seemed like forever. When you don't need something you can afford that luxuary.

The Mac Pro, though, really is still in good shape. I'm sure there'll be a minor update at some stage to make some adjustments.

Apple will continue to produce machines with specific feature sets and hardware components indefinitely. Mac's are designed to be a fusion of hardware and software. You have to look beyond raw technical specification and instead see what Apple are doing with it - I'm willing to wager that I'd be more productive on a lower spec'd OS X machine than a higher spec'd Windows one.

14. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

In other words, you want a price drop, not an update.

15. suneohair thread starter macrumors 68020

suneohair

Where did I say price drop. I am ready to drop the cash with the current price. Not til an update. I will say this again.

I DO NOT CARE IF THE PRICE DROPS, GIVE ME CURRENT HARDWARE

16. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

Hey, these are Mac's we're talking about. The hardware is current until Apple says otherwise. I mean, you can't buy a better Mac :D

17. suneohair thread starter macrumors 68020

suneohair

You got me there :( I still love you Apple just update the GPU and RAM!!!! :apple: :D

And give the others the new iMac

18. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

According to your post, "current" hardware would be >2 GB RAM, > 3.0 GHz Xeon processors, >500 GB HDD, etc.

...You can get that, plus much more, in the Mac Pro right now, it'll just cost you more than the base config.

Remember, the baseline Mac Pro isn't meant to be the computer you buy. Rather, the Mac Pro is meant to start with the absolute minimum, allowing the customer to configure every component to fit their needs (or if they wish, make upgrades themselves).

Let me say it again: You can already get current hardware with the Mac Pro, you just have to configure it to meet your needs.

...If you don't agree with this, why not? EXACTLY what do you want to see as options for the Mac Pro?

19. ChrisA macrumors G4

And my market share of bicycles is zero. Why because i don't make or
    sell bicycles. Same here with Apple they only have 5% of the market
    because they don't make "mainstream" desk tops. If they sold a $700
    mid-size tower they'd fly off the shelves. But for some stupid reason they
    simply don't make what the average person wants.

20. suneohair thread starter macrumors 68020

suneohair

Based on your model, nothing should get hardware upgrades right? Just additional options right? MBP with Santa Rosa? Yeah, we can do that add $500 to that $1999 even though SR is the current tech and cheaper.

Just because the Mac Pro has BTO options does not make it exempt from staying competitive with current hardware pricing and technology. Why should I have to upgrade to 3.0Ghz for $800 when the chips are being slashed HEAVILY?

Can I get a 8xxx Nvidia card in the current Mac Pro? No I cannot. There is the option the Mac Pro lacks.

Does current pricing allow Apple to move the base config to 2GB? Heck yeah, oh but wait we have to spend tons of money to get the hardware we want :rolleyes:

I guess all Macs should have 4MB and 8086 CPUs and from there you have to upgrade. Yes I can get the hardware I want, but I know damn well I shouldn't have to pay what Apple is asking. That is my beef. July 22nd prices drops on Intel CPUs, RAM has fallen drastically, 8xxx GPUs are here, etc etc etc.

You can defend Apple all you want, but I am frustrated with the lack of competition in the desktop arena.

21. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

Dell is like the 2nd largest shipper of machines, but how much money do they make?

Yeah... Apple is stupid alright.

22. yadmonkey macrumors 65816

yadmonkey

I agree that the Mac Pro is indeed due for an update, but I also wouldn't be surprised to see that update happen in the next couple of months. It seems like Apple is trying to get away from having people's expectations for hardware announcement tied to these large events.

Hence the MBP announcement a week before WWDC... they could easily have announced that at WWDC, but chose to announce no new hardware.

23. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Yeah...

Because there isn't as MUCH money to be made selling $700 Mac towers, that's why.

Seems like Business 101 to me.

24. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Originally, you said you wanted more features, but later, you said you wanted features that Mac Pro already offered, but at a lower price. In other words, you want more for less. ...Also known as a "price drop."

The Mac Pro may be expensive, but it isn't necessarily due for a major update like you seem to want.

25. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Please....do you think Apple is blind? They tried this....alot. They had a G4 and G5 lowend desktop(Cube and Single Processor PowerMac)...I'm willing to bet it didn't sell too well.