[rant] Why iOS 6 disappoints some and makes others happy

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by AIP5, Jun 17, 2012.

1. AIP5 macrumors 6502a

Note: this is just a rant. I encourage those who have the time to join in on an intelligent discussion either agreeing with me, or disagreeing with me. But if you are running short on time, then by all means feel free to skip this thread.

Anyway, here it goes:

For many, this evolutionary step in iOS 6 has been welcomed with enthusiasm. However, there remain quite a few number of people who are disappointed in iOS 6, and its general lack of change/new features.

My perspective on why that is:

I was looking over the "iOS version history" page on Wikipedia, and through my own memory (as I've had an iOS device since the first iOS). Each successive major iOS since iPhone OS 1.0 has included some major OS wide changes that were clearly worthy of a title as the "next iOS." For example, 2.0 added the App Store and the ability to install apps... a huge fundamental OS wide change. 3.0 added OS wide features of Copy/Paste and Voice Control for 3GS, which I think is a fundamental change (though I'm not sure how easy/hard it is to implement Voice Control). iOS 4.0 added multitasking... again, a huge fundamental OS change. iOS 5.0 added a Notifications bar (finally!) and Siri and iCloud, which would all have required at least some level of programming.

6.0 added... Maps and a better Siri?

The major "features" that Apple highlights for each release, you may notice, has gone down in quality. I mean, just look at the 10 new "major" features they highlighted for iOS 6... one of them is FT over 3G (only for 4S). Really? that is a highlight/major feature of a major software release? I remember when it took Skype a simple x.x update to enable 3G video chat, and AT&T a simple update to enable MMS.

If any pattern has been established over the past 5 years, it is that each x.0 release has included some fundamental, OS wide new features to justify the naming of it being iOS x.0. But this I just fail to see in 6.0.

While I welcome the cool new features in iOS 6, I also think that many of these "features" were put in for change's sake, while others were done with no practicality in mind. For example, why change the Phone's dial pad from a nice black color to a playful/toy-ish white color? Or the Camera app to have a black banner, as well as the redesigned stores, or the Music app, etc. People who say "If it's not broken, don't change it" should chime into these things. The thing about 3D... it's just impractical. I know for sure that I'm not going to be using 3D except for maybe when I'm bored and waiting in line or something. Street View on the other hand is a whole lot more practical as it actually helps in figuring out where a store is located or how it looks at a specific address. However, I will hold off on the new Maps until I see it in my hands/they are done with beta testing of it.

It is because of these problems that many see Apple as not really putting a whole lot of effort into this iOS. I mean, really, without the Maps update, this update is truly only worthy of an iOS 5.x title, even with "200 new features" (keeping in mind that some of these "features" are just slight changes/redesigns). (I'd also like to point out that they added the camera button on the lock screen with a 5.x update, so I don't see how or why they couldn't have added the new Phone reminder feature in also with a 5.x update... but, I'm no developer so I'm a bit ignorant here).

It is because of this that many, including me, are complaining about Apple's lack of innovation in the iOS. As for expecting... I found out about iOS 6 being released the day before WWDC, so apart from Maps I was not expecting any changes. Yet, I was disappointed by the general non-change in the iOS, with changes being mainly "enhancements" and cosmetic. While I welcomed these changes, I don't think they were worthy of the iOS 6 branding. Merely a 5.x.

It is because Apple has decided to call it iOS 6 that Apple has created a problem for itself: and that is that it fails to live up to expectations of having OS wide features/changes with each successive x.0 update... a pattern that Apple created itself.

----------

Now, let me first preemptively address one of the most common responses: the old "iOS 6 is iOS 6. What did you want for iOS 6? Some drastic new feature? etc, etc"

Well, the simple answer is, I have a rough idea of what I'd like in the OS, but I don't know those specific features should be implemented in the new iOS... because that's not my job. It's the job of software and hardware engineers at Apple to think of new innovations to include in their products. That's why we buy their products; to reward them for their innovation and work. So do I know what new groundbreaking innovative features I wanted in iOS 6? No. But I do know that there are hundreds of software/hardware engineers at Apple whose daily job from 9AM to 5PM (if not more) is to think and innovate and put in those new features. And I seriously find it hard to believe that in an entire year they were unable to come up with at least one feature that was OS-wide and made some fundamental change to the iOS.

2. Calidude macrumors 68000

Calidude

Well said. Apple is clearly showing its lack of care for innovation with this release. They must know that they have some people locked into its tractor beam. More people need to realize this before Apple will start acting like it has competition.

3. sesnir macrumors 6502

iOS 3 sounded pretty boring too. Copy/paste and MMS should have been in version 1.0.

iOS 4 also added folders, which was huge. I think it also added landscape support for the Messages app, which again was a no-brainer but a welcome change.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IOS_version_history

I agree with you and many others that iOS 6 seems boring. We get a few app updates but no huge new feature. I would hope that they haven't told us everything yet... which would be the case if they were saving an NFC announcement for the reveal of the next iPhone.

4. iPhoneApple macrumors 6502

Maybe they will add some bigger features before release. Was hoping for a mini-file system.

5. TOMIMOT macrumors 6502

TOMIMOT

its either they don't have steve jobs fuelling anymore creativity orrrrr they're brewing something massive in the next iOS.

6. tardman91 macrumors 6502a

tardman91

I think the real draw of the next iPhone is going to (hopefully) be it's LTE connectivity. They just have to make iOS 6 for the next generation of the phone because who would be happy with the NEW iPhone running 5.whatever? It's the tech in the phone that will really be the major feature. Hopefully something killer is coming in iOS 7.

7. mikethebigo macrumors 68000

iOS 6 isn't fully released yet. Just like Siri wasn't announced before the iPhone 4S release, there are new unannounced features coming this Oct that will make the OS upgrade a more significant one.

8. Calidude macrumors 68000

Calidude

You will never get a filesystem.

9. TheSuperSteve macrumors 6502

No. Apple is simply saving features so they have something to "wow" us with on iOS 7 and 8 and so on and on. Copy and paste on iOS 3 being a good example of that. I'm disappointed in iOS 6 as well. I mean, I really like all of the little tweaks that it has, but I was expecting some amazing system wide addition like Notification Center was for iOS 5.

And many of these features from iOS 6 is simply Apple playing catch up with Android and Windows Phone 7 who have had Facebook integration, turn-by-turn navigation and voice app launching for awhile now. But since it's Apple that's doing it, they want us to see it as revolutionary, which in reality isn't.

10. iEvolution, Jun 17, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2012

iEvolution macrumors 65816

Is this going to be what we hear over and over again when Apple has a so-called lackluster release?

It was said awhile ago that they had plans from Steve Jobs that would last a couple of years. He hasn't even been dead a year yet.

That being said I'm not all that impressed with iOS 6 either and it seems like many of the interface changes were changed just to be changed rather than any improvement in appearance. Now there doesn't seem to be a consistency in the changes they just kind of randomly redesigned the colors and look.

11. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

But just like Siri, they'll be hardware dependant and will only run on the new, forthcoming iPhone.
    Existing users won't get anything beyond what's already been announced.

12. Calidude macrumors 68000

Calidude

These people will buy anything Apple puts out, especially if it looks different from the last version.

13. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

The problem with the OP's argument is evident.

In looking back at the prior OS and their feature-set you have hindsight and that's a far easier road to walk than one requiring foresight.

When you find yourself being disappointed with fantom missing features it's a harbinger of an idle mind. The function of an operating system is to "operate" and allow you to work with applications and documents.

Seeing iOS 6 as primarily being Maps and Siri isn't seeing the forest through the trees. The task of mapping the Globe is monumental if you're trying to replace Googles multi year effort. Siri is not only coming in far more languages but many languages like Spanish or Cantonese/Mandarin have to be localized further. That's amazing because languages and even locales have their own dialects.

But let's not fool ourselves. The app store redesign isn't superfluous. Facebook integration "is" a big deal not because it's about Facebook but rather the ability to define social services in the OS and then authenticate with a simple sign on. iOS 6 is going to be about polishing and enabling a lot of small improvements that add up to a lot.

We're looking at a mature OS here now. So mature you couldn't even give an example of what's really missing. It's time to stop waiting for fantom features and start using the ones right in front of you.

14. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

In a sense iOS already has a file system. It's just currently restricted to photos and certain video formats. All that's really needed is for Apple expand that concept to other file types.

15. MR.BUTTON macrumors member

i think iOS 5 is the biggest upgrade of all. there's many new apps, and notification center.
    Code:

16. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

The filesystem is iCloud

It becomes glaringly obvious when you look at where the puck is going. Apple's placed a lot of effort on iCloud because they know that ubiquitous access to the cloud is coming sooner rather than later.

What has the capability to hold more data? An iPhone/iPad's local storage or a datacenter filled with redundant storage?

17. mikethebigo macrumors 68000

Agreed. This is what people miss sometimes. I don't want an OS that I need to tinker with. In fact, I don't even want the OS to be noticeable. The designers at Apple get this. The underlying code for iOS is incredibly well optimized and developed, but it's all under the curtain and not visible to the end user.. for example, who here knows what the latest enhancements are with the new Darwin kernel, v13.0, powering iOS 6?

What we get is an OS that stays out of the way and does its job - being a platform upon which other programs run.

I want to interact with my apps, not with my OS.

18. Calidude macrumors 68000

Calidude

The day I'm expected to put all my files on the cloud is the day I stop using cloud services entirely.

Local storage forever. Screw anything else. Cloud storage is for things you can't lose, like contacts and encrypted documents. Everything else I want on the hard drives I paid for.

19. APlotdevice, Jun 18, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2012

APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

For iCloud to be a "file system" it would need to be able to share files between different apps. To the best of my knowledge that isn't currently possible.

The highest data tier Apple offers is 50GB+5GB. Which will set you back $100/year and is shared amongst all your iOS devices. So depending on what capacity you get for your device, local memory potentially wins out there.

On top of that, cellular data caps make it impossible to access more than a tiny fraction of that outside of WiFi hotspots.

20. OTACORB macrumors 6502a

OTACORB

No one is going to put a gun to your head and make you change anything you don't want too. You may have to use Windows and Android or Windows phone, but hey you got to do what makes you happy.

I am totally content with keeping all my stuff in the cloud. The sooner it all happens the better.

What always amazes me about threads like this, is why is that some folks feel that Apple has to always blow our socks off with every new upgrade? It's an upgrade, it will add a few features, sure up others and as long as it improves the over all experience and runs seamlessly in the background then it is doing its job.

21. Calidude macrumors 68000

Calidude

That's like the seventh circle of hell to me. I currently use Dropbox with my own encryption setup to hold all the essential documents I can't afford to lose so that its mirrored on every device I have in a way that nobody can access them and right now I use Google's contact/gmail sync to keep all my contacts together because let's face it, its convenient as hell to always have an online copy of your contacts much like iCloud does.

That however, is the limit of my cloud activities. I want to actually own and store all my photos, music, videos, etc and have a copy of them I control, not have them stored by some company. Once you start going down that road, you become less of a computer user and more of a drone who logs into a terminal like something out of a corporate Sci-fi nightmare.

22. Ljohnson72 macrumors 6502a

Ljohnson72

I can't access my iCloud data when I'm on my boat in the middle of the ocean, when I'm driving up the Sequoia mountains, road-tripping across the country, in a parking garage, in an elevator, in parts of office buildings not near windows, in parts of my city where AT&T coverage is spotty, in the Subway (huge one for me), etc.

iCloud will not be taking over local storage for quite some time. Not to mention the privacy issue...

23. steve-p macrumors 68000

steve-p

Maybe we will see a complete redesign one day. Until then, every release is always going to be more of the same. The law of diminishing returns says that there may be a few new features individual users welcome and will use, and some they won't care about at all. This is a good thing from the point of view of stability for apps, and usability for users and developers staying familiar. I can see why some people would see it as a bit stale though, if they have been using it for years. I've known a few people switch to Android just for something different for that reason. (I was confident they would come back but they haven't, so far).

24. solarguy17 macrumors 6502a

This is ludicrous. Look we don't know what the final version will look like. But we know for existing phones it's pretty much set. But major change have been limited to the newly announced phones anyway, FT, Retina, Compass, Siri, video recording. There will always be a be feature that is exclusive to a new phone and we just havent seen it yet.
    You make the arguement that every release has major new features but iOS 6 is just a catch up release. Well, ppl said that for ios 5 also. And most new features apple releases we already available else where. Multitasking- catch up. Cut, copy, paste - catch up. FaceTime - catch up. NotificationCenter - catch up.
    Really the only real major upgrades that weren't catch up are - App Store -ios2: compass ios3: Retina - iOS.

Very few updates made to any OS now are new and not catch up or incorporating existing stand alone apps into the OS -Siri.

Flyover isn't catch up, this is a new feature that they didn't copy from someone else. Maps app - yes: FlyOver -No

25. virginblue4 macrumors 68000

virginblue4

One thing that was announced with the iPhone 4S was Find my friends. I still believe they will be announcing something else with the new iPhone that existing hardware can use.