Ratatouille (Movie)

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by balamw, Jul 2, 2007.

1. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

I'm a bit surprised there hasn't been any discussion of Ratatouille, Steve Jobs' other triumph on Friday.

I loved this movie, as did my wife and my 6 year old. It was a smidge too long for the 4 year old, but he made it through most of the movie.

Anyone else skip the iPhone madness and go see the latest from Pixar?

B

2. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

I did! It was really well done and exceeded my expectations. I keep thinking the next Pixar movie is finally going to be a dud, but they seem to be consistent. It wasn't my favorite Pixar movie (The Incredibles) but it was good. Their storytelling ability sets them apart. I love the end on so many different levels, and it's always good to feel like a kid again.

3. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

I was at Disneyland on Friday and that rat was everywhere. Does that count? :D

Based on the previews I've seen, it seems like a really good movie (not sure about the plot, but the animations are very well done).

4. balamw thread starter Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

The ending was definitely not what I expected, but did leave one with a warm fuzzy feeling. (Though not in a typical Disney sappy way).

All the Pixar movies to date have the effect of making me feel like a little kid.

FWIW I also just noticed "Lifted" on iTMS and put it in my shopping cart. My boys were literally laughing themselves silly through this short so it'll make a nice addition to my :apple:TV.

B

5. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

The plot is actually really good, you just have to suspend reality for a little while, but that's not different from any other pixar movie. When you let go and accept what's going on, the movie is quite enjoyable.

6. balamw thread starter Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

That was the other big surprise for me. The previews didn't even come close to revealing the full plot or even the highlights of the movie, unlike *ahem* Shrek 3. Scenes were take out of context in ways that didn't really let you piece it together. Well done, I say!

I'd have to say it has bumped Cars from the #3 spot in my Pixar list:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=2508616&postcount=20

"Toy Story 2", "The Incredibles", "Ratatouille", "Cars", "Finding Nemo", "Toy Story", "Monster's Inc.", "A Bug's Life"

A real shame that Shrek 3 was so trite, looked like we were in a new "golden age" of animation with Pixar and Dreamworks both doing excellent features.

B

7. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

From:http://www.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/Movies/06/29/film.perfectpixar.ap/index.html

"All these other animation groups want to be like Pixar, but they steal the wrong things from them. They don't steal the actual process, which is take your time, hold out for the good stuff, which is kind of what 'Ratatouille' is all about. Don't just stuff yourself with bland garbage. Wait for the good stuff."

8. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

I saw it tonight...funny and sweet, I definitely enjoyed it. I liked the fact that it was enjoyable for any age group, well balanced between funny kid stuff and more adult emotions.

Amazing animation, as well, better than Shrek 3, along with the plot, which stomped S.3 into the dirt. :)

9. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

That sounds like a piece of PR puffery. Ratatouille went on the back burner because of pre-production and script problems with the previous director and they had to parachute Brad Bird in to rescue it from the disaster it could have become.

e.g.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/entertainment/orl-calbradbird_mvst062907jun29,0,4348647.story

10. cycocelica macrumors 68000

cycocelica

This movie definitely didn't get the hype and advertisment that the rest of Pixar's movies usually get. I watch about 3/4 of it on TV Links before it was released and thought it was really good. I am going to see it in theaters as soon as possible.

11. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

Of course everyone has an angle... Bird sounds a little conceded to be honest, but he is good. It still is Pixar's "process" though. They will not release a mediocre movie, and they will have someone come in and rewrite it if needed.

12. twistedlegato macrumors 65816

twistedlegato

Ratatouille!

Oh my. PIXAR has done it again!

This movie is any animations dream of being. Incredible story and plot. Wonderful 3d animation. Sound FX and voices where amazing and matched everything perfectly.

PIXAR is definitely the worlds best animated movie producers to ever exists.

I cant wait for next years movie.

WAAAAHHHHH-LEEEEE

EDIT:

I know Wall-ee is going to be a great movie.

Dont judge it on their first teaser. Pixar always give such little info. in there first teaser. Such as: Incredibles: Mr. Incredible putting on his belt, Cars: Lightning Mcqueen racing around a track, Ratatouille: Remy just running around a kitchen.

13. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

No doubt about it. If it was discussed in the same conversation as Finding Nemo and Monsters, Inc, its going to be a good movie.

14. furcalchick macrumors 68020

furcalchick

haven't seen the new one yet, but pixar movies are always good, no bad ones in this bunch. it relates to all ages, i would say incredibles, toy story and cars were my favorites, but all of them were great. you can relate to the characters, whether a toy, monster, car, etc, stories were of great quality, and single-handily brought back animated movies from the graveyard.

the other companies think that 3d graphics got pixar to greatness, but it's the story, it's always high quality, the graphics just make it better. that's why disney's recent tries into animation haven't been good as quality (talking about chicken little and some others, no good movies from that bunch in years) it's the story, stupid.

15. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

I'm almost 18 so I'm kind of ashamed to want to go see this movie, lol. It looks beautiful (technically, anyway). But it seems interesting. I'll probably wait for it to come out on DVD though haha.

But honestly, Toy Story...wow...I remember watching it as a younger kid and I would know all the words because I saw it so many times. TS2 wasn't as good.

16. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

I'm 25 and my wife is 24. We saw it at a 9:50 PM showing and 80% of the audience was over 20 (and it was packed). Pixar movies are good because they are "ageless". It doesn't really matter how old you are.

I actually liked Toy Story 2, maybe even more the first. It felt like it had a deeper story line for some reason.

I think Ratatouille had the most life lessons than the rest. I tried listing them all, but I waited too long after watching the movie...

17. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

haha, good to know.

17 is kinda the age where you think you're getting older...but you're not. I'm just a kid :)

It's so easy to get into pixar movies I find just because they are so gorgeous to look at. Ratatouille is a technical masterpiece. The 1080p trailer on my 24" iMac looks stunning.

It's hard to believe the real plot is different from the trailers/teasers. I've watched all of them, so I feel like I'll be watching the movie and not getting any surprises.

18. applekid macrumors 68020

That seems to apply to all of the Pixar movies and at least the first Shrek. They have good trailers that don't give away the plot, so you get a nice surprise when you actually see the movie.

My family is hopefully going to go watch it this morning when tickets are a mere $5. Ticket prices are way to high these days. :mad:

19. maccam macrumors 6502a

maccam

Yep, I saw it on iDay... And let me tell you, THAT MOVIE WILL SET YOU ON YOU BUTT!! Five star rating the whole way!

20. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Looked good...haven't gotten around to seeing it yet...

21. TheNightPhoenix macrumors 6502

Hi balamw,
    Was the lifted short in HD?

I noticed the preview for it looks to be HD see here.

I presume its just an iTunes mess up or more people would be excited by it!

22. pilotError macrumors 68020

pilotError

My kids loved both lifted (my 8 yo was laughing hysterically) and the Rat!

It was a cute movie, enjoyable for all ages. Lots of subtle humor for the adults.

Its good to see Pixar still doing the short films.

They previewed another film coming out next year, but my mind is fried, can't remember what it was about for the life of me.

23. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

I saw it tuesday, and loved it. Im 15, my sisters 13 loved it and parent *doesn't disclose age* loved it.

24. szark macrumors 68030

szark

I stood in line, got my iPhone, and took it with me to the theatre to see Ratatouille the same night. :)

I really loved this film. Definitely another Pixar masterpiece.

And BV, one of Pixar's strengths is their ability to know when things are not working, and fix them. Other studios would have just run with a mediocre script. Pixar delayed the film and reworked it until they got it right. That's why they succeed time and time again.

25. cycocelica macrumors 68000

cycocelica