Rather funny customer today

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Jhingha, Apr 2, 2011.

1. Jhingha, Apr 2, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2011

Jhingha macrumors regular

Jhingha

At my work, we have this iPad counter, just for demo purposes (just like the apple stores)

Anyways, this old guy, was telling his wife everything he knew about the iPads, (its hard to understand some people still don't know what an iPad is, but I can manage)

So at a moment he told her

"The iPad 1 can only make pictures, and the iPad 2 can also make video"

I was rather confused with this line, how would anyone come up with this kind of nonsense, so I stopped cleaning the shelve (and ear dropping) and told the man, "Excuse me sir, the iPad 1 is not equipped with a camera"

And here the joy started, he almost got mad at me for telling the truth, and he was like " YES IT HAS"
    So after a few sentences I asked him to show it to me"

He grabbed the iPad 1 (we still have a demo..) and flipped it numerous times. it was rather funny looking him search for something that aint there

So after a few quick flips he stared at a tiny 'hole' (which u might know as the light sensor) and pointed and told me: "Here! I told you so! I was right!"

I had trouble holding my laugh and told him it was the lightsensor for the screen to dim in dark situations.

He slowly started getting a red face and told me " Ok " and then he left with his wife pulled on her arm

I guess I'm not gonna see him soon again though :(

Thanks for let me share :p

2. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

Not see how it was funny. Could have approached it a little better IMO.

3. Jhingha thread starter macrumors regular

Jhingha

Tell me what u have would done different

This guy was rather annoyed by that fact I told something different than his mind thought so,

4. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

Guess I would have tried to use more tact instead of just showing the guy was wrong. I'm sure he didn't leave with a good experience with Apple products.

5. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

Great customer service? I think its back to cleaning the shelves.

6. Cersche macrumors newbie

Working at a Verizon store I deal with this quite a bit. I also have people come up to me with phones from other carriers telling me how much better they are then what Verizon offers. Just today a gentleman was comparing the moto atrix to the htc thunderbolt and was convinced that the atrixs' display was larger than the htc counterpart. I did what I could to correct his misinformation but my attempts were futile..even when comparing them side to side. He eventually became rude when I mentioned to him that he needs to be in a 4G area to take advantage of the higher data speeds and at&t's network progress leaves quite a bit to be desired. Humility is a dying quality :/

7. cRuNcHiE macrumors 6502a

Sounds like he was trying to upsell his wife to the ipad2 even though he had false information but somehow you managed to turn him away from your store and lose a sale.

The next store he goes to will be the ones laughing

8. Jhingha thread starter macrumors regular

Jhingha

Haha wrong,

I think he bought an 2nhand iPad 1 from marktplaats (dutch version of ebay) and he got scammed by believing the guy the lightsensor was a camera.

I was nice, I tried to help him, but he kept getting more rude.
    This is not the first rude costumer I help, and 9 of the 10 leave the store with a smile and satisfied. So don't even try to blame this on me :')

Next to that, in a 20km(about 30miles) radius we are the only apple reseller and are out of stock ofcourse.

9. epictempo macrumors regular

You corrected his stubborn ignorance. Some people just cant handle being wrong.

10. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

So the customer already had a iPad and was under the impression he could take pictures? The customer may have been rude because he was just finding out he was scammed. At that point I would understand why he was upset and did my best to help him instead of just laughing at his misfortune.

11. iSee macrumors 68040

iSee

Wow, you know more about the product than a random guy who came into your store! I'd be really impressed... but isn't that your job?

Then you made him mad by showing him up in front of his wife... Oops.
    That's not your job. That's the opposite of your job.

Oh well, better luck next time.

12. Jhingha thread starter macrumors regular

Jhingha

I never said I laughed out loud though.
    It was never my intention to make him angry or damaging his confidence

He had trouble with the truth I guess

13. TheWheelMan macrumors 6502a

TheWheelMan

Exactly where in the OPs story did he do anything wrong? Was he supposed to let the guy go on being wrong? Was he supposed to insult the guy and laugh out loud in his face? Perhaps he should have talked down to the guy like a little kid and really make him feel stupid?

Everyone here has dealt with someone who thinks they know it all when in fact they are clueless, and very few wouldn't have dealt with it as well as the OP.

14. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

Wouldn't you have trouble with the truth also? He just found out he was scammed. I can understand that he was upset.

15. Jhingha thread starter macrumors regular

Jhingha

Ah, its a spare job (like not fulltime because I go to school kinda job?)

At the moment a customer is acting rude and arrogant, u can be the nicest person in the world, but it ain't gonna make the situation better.

And im sure those who blame me for being a bad employee or did something wrong wouldnt acted much different in my situation. trust me.

16. Jhingha thread starter macrumors regular

Jhingha

I would be upset also, but not against someone innocent right?
    Like I would't get rude against the one telling me the truth

ah well, that might be just me.

17. cRuNcHiE macrumors 6502a

you don't mention that at all in your OP. If he just found out he'd be scammed it's understandable he'd be pissed off. Who likes being made a fool of?

18. v66jack macrumors 6502a

v66jack

The customer is always right. (Let them think what they want)

19. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

Well I wouldn't take it out on you either but understand that he did. You were the one telling him he was scammed so I can see him being upset with you.

20. cRuNcHiE macrumors 6502a

To be honest, I expect he was more in shock that an apple store salesperson knew more than he did.
    From my experience, an apple store 'genius' is far from it.
    Barely ranked above pcworld staff.

21. Jhingha thread starter macrumors regular

Jhingha

Damn, u guys are good at twisting words

please read my posts with 100% understanding, or don't read them
    this is getting out of hand.

22. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

How am I twisting words? You said he purchased an iPad 1 from an online auction site and was under the impression it had a camera. You told him it didn't have a camera.

What am I not understanding here?

23. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

That could've been handled better. Sounds like you were looking for the last word more than anything else. You didn't have to let him leave embarrassed like that-- there could've been ways to diffuse it. So much for customer service.

24. Stefx73 macrumors regular

Please let us know what store ou work at, so we can avoid it.

Also, ensure you have good shelf-cleaning skills, and avoid tasks that require you to interact with customers.

25. snberk103 macrumors 603

The OP could have said nothing at all. If the fellow isn't buying an iPad at all, then it doesn't matter if he doesn't fully understand it. If he is buying an iPad 2, then it doesn't matter if he doesn't understand the iPad 1.

If nothing is said by the OP, the fellow keeps his dignity. He has a pleasant time showing off to his wife (who may already know what the iPad 1 does and does not do). He comes back some other time and buys something from the store where he had the pleasant time.

We all have things that we "know", that are wrong.

If the fellow wanted to buy an iPad 1, then the OP could have upsold him to an iPad 2 by talking about how the 2 does both video and photos. Which is not technically misleading, if you never mention what the iPad 1 does/does not do.