Rattle at the top end?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mavrick1903, Aug 12, 2010.

1. mavrick1903 macrumors member

Anyone else have a "rattle" heard when you tap the top (ear) end of the iP4? New unit? No drops, wife's phonehas it too.

2. vbman213 macrumors 6502

Most likely it is the sleep/wake button. I've seen MANY iPhone 4's with loose sleep/wake buttons.

As a test, hold down the sleep/wake button and try to make it rattle.

Mine rattles. I ignore it. I have it documented with AppleCare so if it turns into something bigger, I can easily get a replacement in the future.

3. Biscotti macrumors regular

I hate it!!! I hate it!!! I hate it!!! I wasn't sure whether to try for a new one or not...but I decided I'll leave it alone for now too.

4. vbman213 macrumors 6502

I tried for a new one as well, but my replacement was WORSE!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ggMVRgnyGs

Just live with it... :/

5. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

Mine rattles. I decided to deal with it. I've noticed it has gotten a little stiffer over time but sliding it side to side will loosen it up and make it rattle again.

6. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

7. scubagator96 macrumors newbie

mine does it as well at the top right when i tap the bumper lightly on a table, and i think it is the iphone's vibrator & motor since that is where it is located.

8. ItsJustafnPhone macrumors 6502a

THEN DON'T DO THAT

I think this Macrumors member put it best

wow that video was crazy, definitely get an exchange

9. iObama macrumors 6502

iObama

10. mavrick1903 thread starter macrumors member

if it's the camera focus, it seems like that would not be a good thing (to have movement)

11. Glaxx macrumors regular

Glaxx

Agreed 100%. It is the camera. Try holding your vibrate switch and then tap your phone near the camera. Let go of the switch and tap it a few times near the camera again. Same sound. I don't really know if there is anything you can do about it. Mine will rattle and vibrate all the time when being placed on a table, or when the vibrate goes off. Maybe I'll call AppleCare about this one. I don't know if they can or will do anything about it, though.

12. mrtune macrumors 6502a

As others mentioned, it's the autofocus feature in the camera that does it. There's moving parts in there as it focuses via hardware and not software.

My iPhone 4 makes that noise, as did my 3GS. My 3GS has been donated to my fiance and is obviously still in use. After one year, the camera on that phone still works fine. I wouldn't really worry about it all that much.

13. RobT macrumors 6502a

RobT

Sorry to just repeat everyone else here, but yes, the rattle is the autofocus for the camera. Even though it rattles, t's not defective or broken. I have heard that some people have traded in their phone to try to get one that is quieter or doesn't rattle at all, which is certainly something you could do, but essentially that is the way the phone is and it should continue to work OK even though it makes the noise.

14. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

It is the camera autofocus lens. It is normal. They all rattle.

15. elee888 macrumors newbie

When you hold down the sleep button lightly and shake it, does the noise go away? If it does, then it's a loose sleep button not the camera's autofocus lens. It doesn't make sense for the autofocus lens to stop rattling if you slightly hold the sleep button and shake it. My first one did that. My 2nd and 3rd swaps were great. Built solid. I asked the 2 Genius's if this was common on the iP4. They said that it was the first time they heard of it. In fact, I think one of them is probably going to swap out their own phone.