Rattle Gate (My Experience)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DJJAZZYJET, Nov 20, 2013.

1. DJJAZZYJET, Nov 20, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2013

DJJAZZYJET macrumors 6502

So I'm on my 3rd iPhone 5S replacement now. My first iPhone 5S had terrible battery life, so after troubleshooting with Apple they replaced it for me.

My second iPhone 5S battery seemed to have improved, but every time the phone would vibrate it would make this horrible rattle snake noise, like something was coming apart internally. This never happened to my first one. Tapping the phone would also cause this vibration, and I tend to tap my phone gently whilst waiting for apps to load etc, hence why I noticed it. I did some research and found out that there are loose parts in the camera to allow it to autofocus.

When I shook the phone gently the home button didn't rattle, but shaking it harder the camera lens would rattle, quite loudly too, a kind of deep rattle. I tested this on my old iPhone 4 and my iPad Mini, and when shaken very hardly I could barely hear any rattling noise from the auto-focus parts of the camera, and throughout the time I had used both devices I had never noticed a rattle.

Now, if the phone didn't vibrate like it did, i'd be very happy with it, but it would drive me crazy every day with normal day to day use. Again, i took it to the apple store feeling bad for such a silly thing, even though there wasn't really anything wrong with the phone. The genius, was clearly not happy about it, did replace the phone for me out of good will but he said theres no guarantee the next one is going to be any better.

I was very grateful and expressed I wasn't trying to be neurotic about it but the fact none of my devices did it was obviously enough for him to warrant a replacement. I took my 2nd replacement device home, I didn't check for any rattling, I just wanted to use the phone and enjoy it and hope It wouldn't have these minor issues.

Unfortunately, when the phone went off it started rattling like a rattlesnake, same noise as before, but this time the home button AS WELL as the camera lens are rattling. Shaking the phone REALLY gently causes the home button to rattle, and shaking it with more force causes it to make the camera lens rattle in the same deep sounding rattle as the previous device.

I just tested my old iPhone 4 out and shook it with even more force and I can barely hear the camera rattling. It is certainly worse than my previous device. This time I called up Apple, long story short after chatting with some very nice representatives, they are going to replace my device again, but said theres still no guarantee that the next one won't vibrate.

I tried asking for a new sealed device if it would be possible to see if it would help resolve the issue, but the guy said he couldn't do that, which is fair enough I suppose. I even asked if it were possible for a different colour, which he couldn't do either. None the less, as long as the next one doesn't have this stupid rattle snake vibration,

I'll be very happy. Im not going to be sitting there shaking my phone all day, I just want one that doesn't sound like the screws are falling apart, my first 5s and my old iPhone 4 never did that, and whilst I can understand every device is a little different they shouldn't have home buttons rattling at all, period. The camera rattling SLIGHTLY, i can understand, but nothing else should.

2. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Something something rattling, something something rattling.

Stop shaking the phone.

3. bigjim83 macrumors 6502

4. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

Just making this a tad easier to digest:

5. Warcake macrumors regular

Mine rattles, and I agree that an expensive phone shouldn't do that, but I don't really care since I have a life filled with things that keep me engaged and entertained.

6. ohbrilliance macrumors 6502a

ohbrilliance

Did you really need to start this topic? It's the lens element rattling and this is normal behaviour.

7. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Thanks, but tl;dr anyway. I'm also not really reading anything with has a "-gate" in the title. Sort of my early New Year's resolution to myself.

8. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Amen:D
    I'm staying away from "gate" threads from now on;)

10. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Someone needs to rattle the OP so it breaks into paragraphs.

11. DJJAZZYJET thread starter macrumors 6502

Sorry, totally forgot about paragraphs :confused: Corrected.

12. joeluken, Nov 21, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2013
  13. Nickpocalypse macrumors regular

Stop ****ing calling everything Gate

Please stop calling every problem with your cellphone "Something Gate"

1) It's annoying

2) Your phone rattling, scuffing, dropping some calls is absolutely trivial in comparison to something like Watergate to the point that it's insulting

3) It's annoying

----------

Love it

14. DJJAZZYJET thread starter macrumors 6502

So many lovely people on the forum... :rolleyes:

Anybody got anything useful, supportive or interesting things to say...

15. AJAAY macrumors regular

You are just replacing a problem with a different problem. No phone is going to 100% defect free. You just have to pick your poison.

Should have stayed with the first phone. At least you didn't have the rattle that bothers you so much now.

16. cstm macrumors regular

Kids will shake their presents this Christmas morning, thinking they got legos, but it turns out it's the iPhone 5S!

17. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

With all those paragraph, your phone must be really rattling! :eek:

18. madKIR macrumors 6502

I've replaced 4 5S's and I can tell that they all rattle.
    I still have my 5 that doesn't rattle. It's not a coincidence: Apple tweaked the aluminum chassis on the 5S. If you compare both, you can see that there is no gap between the volume/silent/lock buttons and the chassis on the 5S.
    They improved the phone aesthetics but degraded the lock button from the inside, probably, unintentionally.

19. BoneHead001 macrumors 6502

Yes, the rattle is a result in the way the camera is designed and all iPhone 5s units have that characteristic (including the camera on the iPad Air). The problem that I had was with my loose and rattling sleep button. I went through 5 until I got one that wasn’t loose and rattling.

20. Xenomorph macrumors 65816

Xenomorph

Patient: "Doctor! It hurts when I do this!"

Doctor: "So quit doing that."

21. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

indeed, I'm glad to see I'm not the only one sick and tired of people calling every minor little issue a "-gate."

just some common sense advice: If you're on your third exchange and still aren't happy, then it's time to come to terms with the notion that perhaps obtaining an iPhone 5s that meets your high expectations just isn't in the cards.

Some might accuse you of having OCD or being too obsessive. Others (and likely yourself) might accuse Apple of having Quality Control that's too poor. But regardless of where the finger is pointed, the outcome stays the same: the phones are still going to rattle.

So, you have a choice to make: be happy with the unit you currently have and accept its flaws, real or perceived. Or, assuming you still can, cut your losses and return the device and get a refund, if you truly feel that this issue is going to prevent you from effectively enjoying and using it.

Once you're on device 4 and still having the same issues, the odds of getting a "perfect" one at number 5, number 10... number 20? Drastically diminish with each successive exchange, and it'll simply be a waste of time and effort to continue.

For what it's worth: there's a small rattle in my iPhone 5s too. My solution? Don't shake the phone. And based on your experienced, they're probably all gonna do that anyway.

22. iceman17 macrumors newbie

Can we please stop putting gate at the end of everything? Not only on this forum, but in general

23. Retired Cat macrumors 65816

Rattle Gate (My Experience)

I noticed that my iPhone 5 power/lock button had the same rattle, but it doesn't bother me. With a case on the phone I don't even think I can hear the sound. This seems to be a design problem with the 5/5S.

24. thegrants82 macrumors 65816

You just started WHINE gate.