Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DblHelix

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2009
If you're like me and hate the excessive noise reduction that Apple applies to your photos, shooting in RAW using Adobe Lightroom doesn't apply any noise reduction and the photos look so much clearer. It's like having a whole new camera and I can't wait to try it out on the 7 Plus!

This is the expected experience. Raw has no compression, noise reduction, etc

TL24

macrumors 65816
Oct 20, 2011
Here's a perfect camera comparison between the iPhone 7 Plus, Pixel XL, GS7 Edge and LG V20.

As you can see the iPhone 7 Plus and iOS 10 has an insane amount of noise reduction that literally destroys any fine details in good or bad lighting condition. I really wish Apple would tone the NR down quite a bit, I'd rather have some noise and more detail than no detail and less noise.

x34

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2014
Here's a perfect camera comparison between the iPhone 7 Plus, Pixel XL, GS7 Edge and LG V20.

As you can see the iPhone 7 Plus and iOS 10 has an insane amount of noise reduction that literally destroys any fine details in good or bad lighting condition. I really wish Apple would tone the NR down quite a bit, I'd rather have some noise and more detail than no detail and less noise.

thanks for the link!

pixel XL does some good pics. i really hope apple will adjust the NR and software a bit with the coming ios updates. they did it on ios 9.3. too, so hope is there.

until then i guess i have to try out and get into shooting in RAW.

gigapocket1

macrumors 68020
Mar 15, 2009
so I've read this thread.. not a fan of Snapseed tbh. It's cool. Don't get me wrong. But as a camera app where I have to take a picture and then I have to click save. What about those of us who may want to take 5-10 pictures really quick. You can't do that with snapseed.
I do like Lightroom simply because I can take several pictures at once. My only question is have any of you found an app that shoots in raw but as I take pictures it automatically save a Jpeg version to my camera roll.

vikcious

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2016
so I've read this thread.. not a fan of Snapseed tbh. It's cool. Don't get me wrong. But as a camera app where I have to take a picture and then I have to click save. What about those of us who may want to take 5-10 pictures really quick. You can't do that with snapseed.
I do like Lightroom simply because I can take several pictures at once. My only question is have any of you found an app that shoots in raw but as I take pictures it automatically save a Jpeg version to my camera roll.

ProCamera can save RAW (.DNG) + JPG at 100% quality at the same time.

jerwin

Suspended
Jun 13, 2015

The dark shots were taken with the following settings

Pixel: ISO 1088; f/2; 1/17s
iPhone: ISO 1250; f/1.8; 1/15 s
GS7: 1SO 1000; f/1.7; 1/10 s
V20: ISO ?; f1/1.8; 1/9 s

The V20 has so much more light to work with. It's difficult to calculate the sensitivity, but I'm guessing that it's about ISO 500-800 . Now, compared to a large sensor camera, this is still deep into the grungy end, but it probably accounts for much of the clarity difference.

A good programmer can tweak both the noise reduction and metering, but hardware is hardware. A test using manual exposure and raw could have better revealed what cannot be fixed during the lifetime of the phone.

ykshev

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2016
I've made a few camera app comparisons. Here is a raw from lightroom and not raw apps(iphone 7):
https://monosnap.com/file/8aiAwBf5CZUPH5rTih5McWOFNOOck8
And lightroom vs plain camera app:
https://monosnap.com/file/dskzYdPeNEwlmiB5njsM7WZentSnvN

I tried the ProCam app and it seems it doing the same job as default camera app with "bluring" noise. I really love how lightroom rendering raw pics, but the interface quite annoying for the fast shoots. Is there any app with rendering mechanisms as lightroom, but with a normal interface?

gigapocket1

macrumors 68020
Mar 15, 2009
I loved the Adobe Lightroom App.. Only problem I just ran into.. I was going back and going to edit photos I've taken over the last month.. The only way to get the photos from the Lightroom app to the computer is if you either A, use adobe cloud.. Or.. Extract the pictures from a backup. Which is too much work..

Side note.. Camera+ just updated with raw support and a ton of other camera features.. Looking forward to trying out that app.. Downloading it now

DomC

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2010
I have to say the LR connection to the desktop with RAW is nice. Yes, the CC requirement is frustrating.

Also, Pro Camera has added an option to shoot RAW only without a JPG.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.