Razors: Regular or Electric

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by irain, Jul 6, 2007.

1. irain macrumors regular

irain

What do you guys use?

I've been using electric lately, but I'm switching back to a regular razor... electric seems to irritate my skin a bit. It also doesn't get as close as I'd like it to.

2. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

When I started shaving I used an electric razor but as I began shaving more frequently it really started to irritate my skin, especially on my neck. So I switched to a wet shave and have kept with it ever since.

3. elfin buddy macrumors 6502a

elfin buddy

I've always used a Mach 3. I tried switching to electric razors, but I find they irritate the skin and never quite get everything. I'm actually considering getting a straightedge blade, if I can ever work up the nerve to use one, haha.

4. bartelby macrumors Core

Electric for me.

I have pretty course facial hair and even a new razor would just pull hairs out.

5. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

Same hair, opposite result.

I have to use a manual or my face gets destroyed. Even using the manual, I can't shave more than once every other day - my neck gets torn up. And dont' get me started on the chafing if my shirt collar touches under the jaw - oh the humanity!

6. bartelby macrumors Core

My razor has like a mini hedge trimmer bit in between the foils that helps with stubborn stubble.

I really REALLY hate shaving!

:mad:

7. fotografica macrumors 68040

I use Gillette Mach 3. I have pretty heavy growth,ie five o'clock shadow at noon..I can't get close/smooth enough with an electric.And I've tried lots of them...

8. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

Now that makes me jealous. It could even let me shave a little more often. Right now, because if the time between shaves and my fast growing hair, my sideburns are like a "haircut indicator." They always get trimmed to just below the glasses frame line, and when they reach the bottom the lobe, it's time for another cut - I never check the back of my neck or anything else. I would miss that...

Although I am thinking about switching to the Fusion. The 5 blade gimmick is silly, but that rear blade could come in really handy (even if it would ruin my indicator line).

9. irain thread starter macrumors regular

irain

I second that. I wish there was some kind of gel I could rub on my face that would keep hair from growing for a good month or so. That would be heaven. I just can't stand it when I spend 5-10 minutes shaving... look nice and neat and wake up the next morning with an afro growing off my chin. :mad:

10. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

That's a good idea. I'll be stopping to pick up some Nair this weekend unless someone can give me a reason why I wouldn't want to.

11. irain thread starter macrumors regular

irain

Isn't that stuff for ladies? And I think it's for leg hair... the skin on your face would probably start festering if you used it. :eek:

EDIT: Wait... there is a Nair for Men... for FACIAL HAIR! This could be life changing for me haha.

Has anybody had experience using it before?

EDIT: NOOOOOO... It's not for facial hair. It's for "legs, arms, back, chest." What is this world coming to?

12. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Exactly the system I use. Mind, I don't have any earlobes so I'm probably going in for a trim a bit quicker than I need to...

13. DJMastaWes macrumors 65816

DJMastaWes

I use a gillette fusion, with vibrating feature.

I don't really have facial hair. I grow a little hair over my lip and on my side burns, but I have yet to grow a full face. I kinda' want to be able to grow a beard.

14. goodtimes5 macrumors 6502a

goodtimes5

Electric for quick shaves. Razors for when I need to be smooth for the lady.

15. mattscott306 macrumors 68040

mattscott306

I use a Mach4 with the vibrating feature (battery's been dead for a while though). I can't stand electric razors, too big of a pain, and I don't think they shave close enough. (I haven't ever tried an expensive one)

16. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

I've found my mach 3 to be much more effective than an electric razor, less irritation and less maintenance. Also, the electric sat in a drawer near some scented soap for a while and seems to have picked up the smell...now if I turn it on it smells like cooked lilac flowers. :p

I do keep both around, the electric is very useful for a fast cleanup if I'm looking scruffy before a night out/date/dinner/event/party. It's a pain to pull out the razor and shaving cream just for a wee touchup, and takes too long in a rush.

edit: I also don't really see the reason for the like 5 bladed razors other than that the cartridges cost an arm and a leg. I'd use a 2 blade razor if they sold a nice one with easy-to-find replaceable cartridges. Unfortunately I'm stuck with the mach3, whose cartridges are expensive in their own right.

17. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Electric for me, fast smooth enough, plus the ladies like some stubble.:cool:

18. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

I shaved the day before my brothers wedding, and again the day of. I protested, but my mother insisted. When I took my shirt off at the end of the day, there was a bit of blood on the collar. :mad:

I generally go a few weeks in between "real" shaves. I usually just trim the stubble with my beard trimmer. :D
    I used to use a Mach 3, but Gillette sent me a Fusion for my birthday, so I used it for a bit. I can no longer use a Mach3, even with a fresh cartridge, the difference is that big. Plus, the cartridges last quite a while, or maybe it's because I shave about twice a month, at most. :p

19. shecky Guest

shecky

i only use a Mach3 to shave and at the moment Aveno shave gel.

but

a while back i used a shaving brush and tin of shaving soap for a few weeks (you know, old-skool like) and let me tell you, its a noticably better shave. i need to get back into that.

20. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

I use electric for my mustache/face but i have started using the Gilette Fusion manual razor for my neck, it is easier to get on the curve than my electric but overall my skin gets less irritated by electric on my face.

21. steamboat26 macrumors 65816

steamboat26

Regular, i can't grow a full beard yet, so theres no sense in buying an electric until i really need one

22. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

When I started I just used a mid-range electric. But like others, I found it didn't give a close shave. Been using wet ever since, but the bog standard Bic razors.

I was looking after my aunts place about a year ago, I forgot to pack my razor so I "borrowed" one of my uncles Fusion razors. I was just gob smacked at how quick and close they were :eek:

YES! But I always feel better after it. Oddly enough.

23. philbeeney macrumors 6502

philbeeney

Wet razor for the past 20 odd years. Currently using a Gillette Fusion Power with the aloe sensitive hydragel. Luckily I can get away with shaving every other day.

Electric shaving irritated the face and lower neck, so I stopped using it and threw it out.

24. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I use a Gilette Fusion Power. I use it on my sides and neck and for the rest I use a power trimmer to keep my Goatee looking nice and trim.

I will agree I always feel better after I shave. A lot of the time it is the itching that drives me to shave. (same itching will drive me to trim as well) I mostly forget to shave because I am running a little late and do not have to time if i want to make it to class or work on time.

25. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

My cartridges get torn up (thick/coarse hair?) really fast, and I don't even shave that often...I spend enough on mach3 cartridges. Meh.