Re-download Lion once Installed?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Quinner100, Jul 20, 2011.

1. Quinner100 macrumors newbie

Here is a good one for ya...

I already installed Lion on my Mac through the Mac App Store. Once Lion is finished installing, it deletes the "Install Mac OS X Lion" file that is downloaded to your Applications folder prior to installation.

Why would I like to re-download? Simple. I want to open the package contents of the install file, snag the .pkg, and make Lion bootable/recoverable. This way I have a recovery disc, and I don't have to pay $69 for Apple's bogus solution coming out next month. This is possible, but the problem is that Lion deletes the download, and once you have Lion installed, the Mac App Store refuses to let you redownload it. Any suggestions as to how to get around this?

2. And1ss macrumors 6502a

And1ss

If you have another mac or a friend, dl it and before it installs, make your bootable disk.

3. Razeus macrumors 601

Why? Lion will create a separate partition where it will reside so you can nuke and pave if you needed to in the future.

4. And1ss macrumors 6502a

And1ss

I thought this was only for new mbas and minis?

5. aristobrat, Jul 20, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2011

aristobrat macrumors G4

From reading the ars.technica review, doesn't the Recovery Partition only have tools for working with the disk/getting online for help? It's a 600MB partition. I don't see how they're cramming the whole 3.47GB installer in that.

Edit: just tried it. The Restore Partition will let you re-download Lion.

If you lose your entire HDD (it fails, or you upgrade to a new one), I'd guess unless you made a bootable DVD, you'd have to reinstall Snow Leopard from the restore DVDs that came with your Mac, then sign into the App Store and download Lion again. You wouldn't have to go buy the $69 install USB though.

Cool that I was able to reboot into the Restore Partition, then back into OS X, and Safari was already open on this post. :)

6. apas5byer, Jul 20, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2011

apas5byer macrumors newbie

To re-download Lion, go to Mac App Store "Purchased" section and Option-Click the "INSTALLED" button.

This method worked for me once only.

Sorry, I was wrong. It should be.. open Mac App Store, hold the Option key, then click "Purchases" on the top.

7. mmduluth macrumors regular

This does absolutely nothing for me.

8. aggiesrwe03 macrumors regular

Ok this is the closest to what I needed, I am SUPER ******** PISSED I have been Dl'ing Lion since noon (it' 1145 now) I had 2 mins left, my time machine started backing up on my network and for some reason I lost internet connection, my DL has now started completely from scratch< seriously had about 3 mb to go before the entire OS was dl'ed is there anyway to resume the DL from that point it now says I have 13 hours to go FML!!!

9. ben2e macrumors member

Same here. It just tells me there's a newer version already installed. I did see a post that a backup is moved to "lost+found" under root but I don't have a /lost+found

10. vi15 macrumors newbie

I too had problems re-downloading Lion after I realized I did not copy the installer.

What I did is I closed the MAS, opened it again, and held the option key while clicking on the upper "Puschased" tab, then the "OS X Lion" link and finally on the "Install" button.

Right now I am downloading it again at a pretty fast speed, thanks to my university's Internet connection. :D

Hope it helps other people!

11. aha2940 macrumors newbie

Hi!

Thanks for the tip about clicking "Purchases" while keeping pressed the option key. That allowed me to download again the Lion installer to burn it on DVD.

Regards.

12. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

This worked for me also. Option-Clicking the Purchased tab doesn't seem to work all the time - but it does work right after a launch. Perhaps this just has to be done before you switch tabs...

13. vi15 macrumors newbie

Glad to see it also worked for you guys! It saved me from recovering from my Snow Leopard backup just to download the installer once again.

14. RobertsonCrusoe macrumors member

:O that actually works. i downloaded mine at university yesterday and forgot to create backup of OS X Lion i can now reinstall it :) thank you

15. gregd33 macrumors member

Odd for me but option didnt work while holding down the command key + clicking purchases did... I am on an iMac if it matters.

16. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I didn't burn Lion to a disc because apparently you can click "command + R" when booting up and it will take you to a page to reinstall Lion from the Lion partition on the HDD.

The only time I would need an install disc is when installing a new HDD, but at that point, I wouldn't mind installing SL and taking it back to Lion from there.

17. cerote macrumors 6502a

cerote

Close Appstore. Hold down option while clicking open appstore. Keep it held and click purchases. And then keep holding option and click Lion.

18. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Wow great tip!
    Tips to you, sir!

19. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

not to be critical, but what kind of internet connection do you have? I downloaded lion in 20 minutes...far from the 12 hours it took you

20. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

Worked fine for me on my iMac

21. watsonjm macrumors regular

Slightly of topic...

I have downloaded Lion onto my iMac with no problems. I am now out on my Macbook and have noticed Lion in my purchases on the App store an am able to download it.

Is this normal? I figured i would have to buy Lion again for the Macbook?

Any ideas?

Cheers

22. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Yes, this is normal, because I assume you are logged into the same App Store/iTunes account on both systems? The terms and conditions for the App Store allow downloads of purchases to any other personally owned computers associated with the same AppleID. So if you already purchased it on one computer that you own, the license allows you to install it on others you choose to associate with the same account.

23. gentlefury macrumors 68030

So what if your OS drive fails?

Seems dumb that they put it on the same drive and give no option to change it!

24. Saphire macrumors member

Saphire

I haven't had much time to get used to my imac keyboard so forgive me for being stupid but which is the option key.
    on bottom row of keyboard is fn-ctrl-alt-cmd.

25. Saphire macrumors member

Saphire

Sorted, found that the alt key is the option key so now downloading so I can burn to dvd.