Re-install OS X on Retina MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mike4realz, Feb 27, 2013.

1. mike4realz macrumors newbie

It does not come with a disc and was curious on how you would you re-install the operating system?

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

There is a restore partition in all Retina Macs and in the Air. You have to use that.

3. Krevnik macrumors 68040

Krevnik

Or if you somehow managed to nuke that restore partition, you can do a network boot against Apple's servers to start a reinstall.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4718

4. Asuriyan macrumors 6502a

Command + R at grey boot splash and follow the wizard.

It does require you to download the install files.

5. mike4realz thread starter macrumors newbie

oh ok...thx...but what if u have a slow connection or no internet access? can u somehow create a bootable usb?

6. Krevnik macrumors 68040

Krevnik

You can, but I am not sure which tools create a USB drive with a full OS installer on it. When 10.7 came out, the recovery partition, network boot, and USB recovery partitions all downloaded the OS over the internet. I don't know if Apple is letting folks produce full installers on USB with 10.8. Their documentation would tell you though.

7. Vegasryn macrumors 6502

You can take it to apple store and they'll allow you to connect to their network to install it.

8. rpg51 macrumors 6502

rpg51

How can I check to see if I nuked that reinstall partition? I was messing with my macbook recently after a crash and I had to reinstall and I think in the process of deleting things I may have nuked it. Where is it? What is it named?

9. Krevnik macrumors 68040

Krevnik

You only ever see it if you hold 'option' down while the machine boots (showing the drive selector to select what to boot).

10. Kushp14 macrumors regular

11. Modernape macrumors regular

Or go to system information (option click 'about this mac'), then select Serial-ATA, the 650MB Recovery HD is listed at the bottom.

12. a-m-k macrumors 6502a

a-m-k

Thank you for this tip. It sounds a great deal easier than the original method. :)