Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

k-hawinkler

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 14, 2011
I am considering following this guidance

to install / re-install Big Sur from the Recovery partition but onto the internal drive and not onto an external TB3 SSD. The latter I have already successfully accomplished. I can also boot from that external OWC TB3 Envoy Pro EX SSD.

Here is my question: When re-installing onto the internal SSD, will all existing data on it get wiped out?
That's what I actually want. Or do I have to erase the internal SSD first while booted into the Recovery partition?

TIA for your help. :)

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
I think the easiest way to erase your Mac is explained by Apple:

Begin with the section, Prepare Your Mac to erase it:

1. Turn on your Mac and continue to press and hold the power button until you see the startup options window. Select Options, then click Continue.
  2. When you're asked to select a user you know the password for, select the user, click Next, then enter their administrator password.
  3. When you see the utilities window (shown here), choose Utilities > Terminal from the menu bar.
  4. Type resetpassword in Terminal, then press Return.
  5. Click the Reset Password window to bring it to the front, then choose Recovery Assistant > Erase Mac from the menu bar.
  6. Click Erase Mac in the window that opens, then click Erase Mac again to confirm. When done, your Mac restarts automatically.

Once it is erased, continue to reinstall the OS, following the same document instructions:

If your Mac was using macOS Big Sur 11.0.1 before you erased it, select Reinstall macOS Big Sur in the utilities window, then follow the onscreen instructions.

k-hawinkler

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 14, 2011

Once it is erased, continue to reinstall the OS, following the same document instructions:

Many thanks indeed for your help.
My M1 Mac mini arrived last week with Big Sur 11.1 already installed.
Thanks again. :)

Reactions: Quackers

k-hawinkler

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 14, 2011

So I managed to create a bootable installer for Big Sur 11.1 and re-installed it.
But that didn't erase the SSD before re-installing the OS.
Up to this point all was well though. :)

Then I followed the guidance in the above reference and literally wiped out the SSD.
When I tried to re-install the OS I got the message I couldn't because of a missing firmware partition. :confused:

I am still able to boot the M1 Mac mini from an external SSD and type for example this message.
However, when I try to use Disk Utility to erase the internal SSD, I get the following error message:

"Erasing “APPLE SSD AP2048Q Media” (disk0) and creating “Macintosh HD”

Unmounting disk
The volume on disk0 couldn’t be unmounted because it is in use by process 0 (kernel)
Couldn’t open device. : (-69877)

Operation failed…
". :mad:

DU First Aid doesn't fix anything either.

What now?

Option 1: Contact Apple Support or
Option 2: Returning the Mac mini and ordering a new one.

Also this computer never could wake up a sleeping monitor.

Any advice I get will be appreciated. TIA.

The M1 Mac mini is a really wonderful computer to use.
I like it a lot and want to keep one. :cool:

Last edited:

k-hawinkler

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 14, 2011
So I managed to create a bootable installer for Big Sur 11.1 and re-installed it.
But that didn't erase the SSD before re-installing the OS.
Up to this point all was well though. :)

Then I followed the guidance in the above reference and literally wiped out the SSD.
When I tried to re-install the OS I got the message I couldn't because of a missing firmware partition. :confused:

I am still able to boot the M1 Mac mini from an external SSD and type for example this message.
However, when I try to use Disk Utility to erase the internal SSD, I get the following error message:

"Erasing “APPLE SSD AP2048Q Media” (disk0) and creating “Macintosh HD”

Unmounting disk
The volume on disk0 couldn’t be unmounted because it is in use by process 0 (kernel)
Couldn’t open device. : (-69877)

Operation failed…
". :mad:

DU First Aid doesn't fix anything either.

What now?

Option 1: Contact Apple Support or
Option 2: Returning the Mac mini and ordering a new one.

Also this computer never could wake up a sleeping monitor.

Any advice I get will be appreciated. TIA.

The M1 Mac mini is a really wonderful computer to use.
I like it a lot and want to keep one. :cool:

Whew! That was a close call - but I am back in business, thanks to the very friendly and helpful Apple support folks. :)

It turns out one has to first use Disk Utility to erase a partition before erasing the SSD itself.
I thought I had done that, but likely in the wrong order.

Anyway that brought the internal SSD back to life and I used my external Big Sur install boot TB3 SSD t to re-install Big Sur 11.1 on the internal Apple SSD. :)

Oh well, such is life. I am really liking my M1 Mac mini now even more, it's very snappy.
And I learned a lot in this exercise! ?

This time around I first created an Administrator account.
Next I will use the Migration Assistant to transfer my user account from an older Mac without a naming conflict. :cool:

Many thanks again to the extremely friendly, responsive, and helpful Apple support folks. ???

Reactions: chabig

k-hawinkler

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 14, 2011
In
is also this reference on how to create a bootable installer

I follow directly the above reference that contains all the required links.
The below quote is intended only to convey an idea of the process involved.

Key parts are:

Quote:"

Download macOS

Download: macOS Big Sur, macOS Catalina, macOS Mojave, or macOS High Sierra

These download to your Applications folder as an app named Install macOS [version name]. If the installer opens after downloading, quit it without continuing installation. To get the correct installer, download from a Mac that is using macOS Sierra 10.12.5 or later, or El Capitan 10.11.6. Enterprise administrators, please download from Apple, not a locally hosted software-update server.

Use the 'createinstallmedia' command in Terminal

1. Connect the USB flash drive or other volume that you're using for the bootable installer.

2. Open Terminal, which is in the Utilities folder of your Applications folder.

3. Type or paste one of the following commands in Terminal. These assume that the installer is in your Applications folder, and MyVolume is the name of the USB flash drive or other volume you're using. If it has a different name, replace MyVolume in these commands with the name of your volume.

Big Sur:

sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Big\ Sur.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/MyVolume

Catalina:*

sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Catalina.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/MyVolume

Mojave:*

sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Mojave.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/MyVolume

* If your Mac is using macOS Sierra or earlier, include the --applicationpath argument and installer path, similar to the way this is done in the command for El Capitan.

After typing the command:

1. Press Return to enter the command.

2. When prompted, type your administrator password and press Return again. Terminal doesn't show any characters as you type your password.

3. When prompted, type Y to confirm that you want to erase the volume, then press Return. Terminal shows the progress as the volume is erased.

4. After the volume is erased, you may see an alert that Terminal would like to access files on a removable volume. Click OK to allow the copy to proceed.

5. When Terminal says that it's done, the volume will have the same name as the installer you downloaded, such as Install macOS Big Sur. You can now quit Terminal and eject the volume.

image.jpeg

Use the bootable installer

Determine whether you're using a Mac with Apple silicon, then follow the appropriate steps:

Apple silicon

1. Plug the bootable installer into a Mac that is connected to the internet and compatible with the version of macOS you're installing.

2. Turn on your Mac and continue to hold the power button until you see the startup options window, which shows your bootable volumes and a gear icon labled Options.

3. Select the volume containing the bootable installer, then click Continue.

4. When the macOS installer opens, follow the onscreen instructions.

"

AGAIN, PLEASE FOLLOW THE ABOVE REFERENCE FOR GUIDANCE.
I put this here for my
easy way of finding the reference.

Last edited:

k-hawinkler

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 14, 2011
I use my M1 Mac mini with 2 of the new OWC TB3 Docks and the LG 38WN95C-W monitor. The monitor would not wake up from sleep until I also hooked up an HDMI in addition to the Thunderbolt cable. This has markedly improved my set up, both under Big Sur 11.1 and 11.2. When the HDMI link is driving the monitor, the Thunderbolt link still connects the 2 monitor USB ports to the M1. I use one of the monitor USB ports to provide power to an LED light.

Last edited:

k-hawinkler

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 14, 2011
Interesting links:

Reactions: trevoz

k-hawinkler

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 14, 2011

Last edited:

k-hawinkler

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 14, 2011

Last edited:

k-hawinkler

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 14, 2011
More good links:

k-hawinkler

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 14, 2011
On my M1 Mac mini I now run macOS Big Sur 11.2.1 (20D75).

I updated in recovery mode straight through the Internet from Apple’s servers I suppose. That also means I have abandoned the practice to first make a local install SSD.

Using Carbon Copy Cloner CCC I then copied my internal Macintosh HD - Data container volume onto an APFS formatted, but otherwise virgin, OWC Envoy Pro FX Thunderbolt SSD. Then, again booting in recovery mode, I finally managed to successfully install macOS Big Sur 11.2.1 (20D75) onto that external TB3 SSD. I also now can boot successfully from this external drive.

When booted from the internal drive and watching a YouTube video live from the Internet unfortunately I also have to report that within a few I hours of elapsed time my M1 system crashed and automatically rebooted twice. I have used EtreCheckPro 6.4.1 to ensure that no nefarious system extensions or other additions have been installed on my system. Besides EtreCheckPro I am using CCC, ClamXAV, and OWC Dock Ejector on my M1 system, as flagged by EtreCheckPro.

For completeness I should also point out that the display, the LG 38WN95C-W, that I am using is connected to the M1 through both a Thunderbolt and an HDMI cable. I found this necessary to ensure that the system can wake up the display after sleeping. As the LG 38WN95C-W monitor has built in hardware controls, I can use those to switch the display input signal between Thunderbolt and HDMI ports if the currently active port doesn’t wake up the display. So far this procedure has always worked for me. :cool:

Last edited:

TechnicallyTee

macrumors 68020
May 14, 2013
Atlanta
Glad I found this thread because I just wiped my Mac Mini from safari and now there is no disk to choose to install Mac OS and I think I’m going to have to go through this process.

On chat with Apple Support and we are still going through troubleshooting.

Quackers

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2013
Manchester, UK
Glad I found this thread because I just wiped my Mac Mini from safari and now there is no disk to choose to install Mac OS and I think I’m going to have to go through this process.

On chat with Apple Support and we are still going through troubleshooting.
From Safari? How did you manage that?
Try disk utility in the recovery environment and choose "erase volume group" then retry.
A second mac might also come in handy for DFU mode.

TechnicallyTee

macrumors 68020
May 14, 2013
Atlanta
From Safari? How did you manage that?
Try disk utility in the recovery environment and choose "erase volume group" then retry.
A second mac might also come in handy for DFU mode.
Wiped it from my device in Find my section. I’m stuck in recovery now and Apple is getting ready to give me a call. I have my 16Gb/1TB Mac Mini being delivered today so If I need another Mac for anything I can do that later this evening.

Quackers

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2013
Manchester, UK
Wiped it from my device in Find my section. I’m stuck in recovery now and Apple is getting ready to give me a call. I have my 16Gb/1TB Mac Mini being delivered today so If I need another Mac for anything I can do that later this evening.
From recovery mode what does Disk Utility screen show? Anything? Are there still any volumes showing?

Quackers

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2013
Manchester, UK
The only two things that show is the APPLE SSD AP0512Q Media and macOS Base System
I see. Thanks.
See what Apple say, if they're going to phone you soon.
Do you have access to a second Mac (capable of running Apple Configurator 2)?

Alternatively according to this Apple article have you tried shutting down your Mac, unplugging all non-essential peripherals, then going back into recovery environment and trying the re-install again?
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT212030#nodisk

TechnicallyTee

macrumors 68020
May 14, 2013
Atlanta
I see. Thanks.
See what Apple say, if they're going to phone you soon.
Do you have access to a second Mac (capable of running Apple Configurator 2)?

Alternatively according to this Apple article have you tried shutting down your Mac, unplugging all non-essential peripherals, then going back into recovery environment and trying the re-install again?
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT212030#nodisk
Just got off the phone with a senIgor advisor and the Mac has to be sent to Apple for service, I have an appt for Sunday. I will have my new Mac Mini here in a few hours but thats about it. All this when I was just wiping to return it to Best Buy smh.

Reactions: Quackers

k-hawinkler

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 14, 2011
After installing BS 11.3 several issues stopped:

• Mac mini now shuts down for real on first try. Yeah!
• Don't get error warning any more that mx was shutdown due to a problem
• Mx doesn't boot any longer into Recovery Medic when OWC enclosure is on during start up.
• Thunderbolt Monitor seems fine.

So far, so good. Knock on wood!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.