Re-Jailbreak 3GS 3.1.2 Confirmation

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by SFC Archer, May 1, 2010.

1. SFC Archer macrumors 68000

SFC Archer

I need some confirmation and guidance BEFORE I attempt to restore my iPhone.

I am currently Jailbroke (not concerned with unlock, on AT&T) only on my 3GS 3.1.2. I am having some issues and wish to just restore to a fresh 3.1.2 by shift/clicking in iTunes 9.1 and selecting ipsw2,1 3.1.27D11 and then using blackra1n again unless their is a better jailbreak recommendation.

I also have ipsw 3.0 and 3.1 and iTunes 8.0, 9.0, and 9.0.3 if I need to downgrade lower.

All of my stuff is backed up on Cydia...all the way back to 3.0

I need confirmation and/or guidance if I am doing the right steps BEFORE I do it and accidentally upgrade to 3.1.3 and become another statistic.

Would really like to hear from DhLizard or one of the other regulars that provide outstanding replies!

Thanks in advance for replies.

2. ILikeToJB macrumors member

If that "stuff" is your SHSH's, then yes you can restore. Make sure you edit your host files, which can be found out at http://www.saurik.com/id/12

3. UngratefulNinja macrumors 68000

UngratefulNinja

You can't just click restore + your ispw in itunes. Itunes doesn't allow that on 3gs anymore

4. SFC Archer thread starter macrumors 68000

SFC Archer

Yes...all of my SHSH's are stored on Cydia all the way back to 3.0.

If I can't shift click anymore then please show me where to go to reinstall 3.1.2 so I can get all of these dead and broken program files off my phone that I believe is causing me problems.

Thank You Again

5. ILikeToJB macrumors member

Seems to be working just fine on my iTunes. Running 9.1.1.

6. UngratefulNinja macrumors 68000

UngratefulNinja

Dhlizard posted this link yesterday, it looks like it might apply to yours: http://www.hackthatphone.com/3x/local_ecid_shsh_page2.html

From this thread: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=907822

7. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

8. ILikeToJB macrumors member

9. UngratefulNinja macrumors 68000

UngratefulNinja

Oh ok, he needs someone to tell him how to point the gs.apple.com to cydias servers then :)

10. ILikeToJB macrumors member

I posted a link to Saurik's article about the situation.

11. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

ILikeToJB did in post #2. :p

12. SFC Archer thread starter macrumors 68000

SFC Archer

I followed the path: C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts and directed that it be opened with notepad.

I then placed: 74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com all the way at the bottom of the # entries and saved it.

Reopened and it is still there. Am I on track? and what would be next?

13. UngratefulNinja macrumors 68000

UngratefulNinja

omg I have no idea how I missed that :eek: Just ignore me! Carry on :D

14. ILikeToJB macrumors member

Now just plug in your device, open iTunes, hold shift and click the restore button, and choose the 3.1.2 firmware file that you downloaded. And then you're all set. By the way, if you're still on the 4.26.08 baseband, (I believe thats what it is, I can't remember), then its best to use a custom firmware.

15. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Flush your DNS (might not be required but I do it anyway) and then restore your ipod.

16. SFC Archer thread starter macrumors 68000

SFC Archer

Got it so far, my baseband is 05.11.07 so think its to late for that now and I am on AT&T and have no need to unlock at this time or in the near future. It may become necessary 2 years from now but not worried about that.

Once I do the click shift now, what is the recommended jailbreak? I have BlackRa1n but wonder if there are better recomendations?

What do you mean Flush DNS???

17. ILikeToJB macrumors member

Use redSn0w 0.9.4, or 0.9.5 if you want, but I don't know if that works, since I am on 3.1.3 and can't test it.

EDIT* Also your device is very valuable right now, with the 5.11.07 baseband, an unlockable baseband, it is very useful to some people. So when you lose that baseband, your device will drop in price, because people wont be able to use it on their network. If you still had the 4.26.08 baseband, it would be worth more since blackSn0w is known to cause Wi-Fi issues on about 10% of all devices. Also make sure to activate your phone in iTunes before running blackra1n or redSn0w, because they will both hacktivate it, making you have to restore again and rejailbreak, because you wont get any service. Hope this helps.

18. SFC Archer thread starter macrumors 68000

SFC Archer

Checking out your recommendations requires an upgrade to 3.1.3...this I want to stay away from. It looks like redSn0w 9.2 is the safest??? So, would redSn0w 9.2 or BlackRa1n be the better option? All opinions appreciated!

19. ILikeToJB macrumors member

Thats not what I said at all. Use redSn0w 0.9.4 or 0.9.5, I haven't tried 0.9.5, since first of all, there is no Jailbreak publicly released for a 3GS on 3.1.3, 0.9.5 included an update to Jailbreak 4.0 betas on the iPhone 3G, using an old Pwnage Tool exploit. Second, my device is running 3.1.3, without my 3.1.2 SHSH on file with Cydia. Its perfectly fine to use redSn0w 0.9.4, and I assume 0.9.5 will still have support for 3.1.2. They will work.

20. SFC Archer thread starter macrumors 68000

SFC Archer

Sorry, did not mean to offend, just trying to make sure so I don't sound like all of the other who are now stuck on 3.1.3 without jailbreak. I reread and believe that I will use redSn0w 0.9.4 and stay with 3.1.2 ipsw. I do not want to lose my current baseband as I may sell this iPhone when the new one is released.

Is there anyone else that can weigh in on my decision and validate...Thank You to all so far!

21. ILikeToJB macrumors member

Fixed that for you. Make sure not to get confused, because redSn0w 1.0 has not yet been released. We're at 0.9.5 currently.

22. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Or, if your phone is currently jailbroken, has old bootrom (not a tethered jailbreak) and you can get it into recovery mode...

Make or get a custom restore 3.1.2 IPSW and point iTunes at it, it bypasses the security checks and should re-install.

Little easier than a Saurik method restore.

23. SFC Archer thread starter macrumors 68000

SFC Archer

This I have never done. I do have Umbrella downloaded and it is set with Cydia. I have also used ECID Grabber to get my ECID and that is all I can figure out or know what to do with. The rest of that part is all foreign and unknown to me.

Have successfully reloaded 3.1.2 back onto iPhone. Restoring data now and then will jailbreak next.

24. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

It's not hard. PwnageTool is pretty straightforward, and once you've customized your firmware it's a simple shift-restore and you're done.

25. SFC Archer thread starter macrumors 68000

SFC Archer

I am not getting a clean jailbreak. I have followed all of the steps from HERE and after step 5 I do not get the instruction under the image of step 5. I have done this 4 times now and it is not installing. When do you release the power button and hold the home button until??? This is totally unclear. I press and hold the power/home button until the message disappears and after that there is nothing.

It was never this difficult with BlackRa1n. Any help would be appreciated.