Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ryans79

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 12, 2009
Hello,

I wanted the opening animation to show my family and did this:

sudo rm /private/var/db/.AppleSetupDone

but now its asking for all the setup details again :((

I just wanted the animation, what can i do?

Heeeeeeeeelllllllllllllp!

AnotherFanBoy

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2009
Using that terminal command is a very drastic way to go about it, have you ever heard of YouTube?

Im not 100% sure, but I don't think that overwrites your data or anything, hopefully someone who has run through this before can correct/confirm this.

ryans79

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 12, 2009
Using that terminal command is a very drastic way to go about it, have you ever heard of YouTube?

Im not 100% sure, but I don't think that overwrites your data or anything, hopefully someone who has run through this before can correct/confirm this.

Looking back, I guess i should have gone the youtube route... but then, thats 20/20 vision.

I held the power on button for some time so it forced shut off... but when i restarted it, i got the same welcome intro (ironically didnt want it now) and the who thing of entering the startup things...

I really hope i dont have to set this up again..:(

AnotherFanBoy

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2009
I held the power on button for some time so it forced shut off... but when i restarted it, i got the same welcome intro (ironically didnt want it now) and the who thing of entering the startup things...

That's because the terminal command you used has told the computer that you haven't gone through the setup procedure. When you turn on your laptop for the first time and run through the process, it tells the computer its done, so you never do it again. However, everytime you turn on the computer it checks that setting to see if you have done the setup before, the computer now thinks you haven't and therefore everytime the computer turns on it will ask you to go through it again until you have done it.

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
During the setup, you have the option to skip any migration. I also think the installer will see you have a user setup already and allow you to skip over user creation. Worse case (as I don't remember the installer 100%), you setup a "temp" user. You can delete it later. It won't erase the user that's already there - just don't name the temporary user the same as your existing one.

Another option would be if you have an image or Time Machine backup, you could try and manually recover the .AppleSetupDone file. But, the above is probably the easiest way to get going again.

ryans79

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 12, 2009
During the setup, you have the option to skip any migration. I also think the installer will see you have a user setup already and allow you to skip over user creation. Worse case (as I don't remember the installer 100%), you setup a "temp" user. You can delete it later. It won't erase the user that's already there - just don't name the temporary user the same as your existing one.

Another option would be if you have an image or Time Machine backup, you could try and manually recover the .AppleSetupDone file. But, the above is probably the easiest way to get going again.

Nope, it didnt allow me to skip over user creation...
I did create a temp account and delete it.

Any idea if it still take up hdd space? because for a brand new new-install i still have something like 18gigs :mad:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.