Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pandora01

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2008
Toronto
Why are there so many suggestions to the OP to delete apps? Can't he just unsync a few and rotate the ones he syncs every now and then? Even if he does use every single app occasionally, I doubt he needs to use them all in one day.

Add me to the list of people who don't understand why the OP is getting attacked for having a lot of apps. So he has a lot of apps, big deal. Can't we discuss his perfectly legitimate question? I agree with the posters who say that there is no reason why we should be limited to 9 pages of apps. It never even occurred to me that there was a limit until I read this thread.

Uh Clem

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2008
As another poster mentioned, there's plenty of room for more "page dots" but it would be a pain flipping through that many pages.

The "page dots" could be made touchable like the first letter bar in contacts. That way you could get to any page quickly.

If you could flip pages vertically as well as horizontally, you'd square the number of possible applications. 16 * 9 * 9 is 1296. That seems like a lot :D

Folders have been mentioned as well as a way to allow an unlimited number of applications. Folders add complexity to the interface, though. Navigational controls to move up/down through folders and some way to tell where you are.

With the possibility of thousands of applications, organization will be an issue. Better tools for finding, categorizing, and reordering applications must be developed.

Go back and look at early MacOS and see how much has changed between then and now. Apple is just getting started with the iPhone :p

aluren

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2008
i can't believe why some thinks it's a big deal to have 100+ apps on the iPhone. while i only have about 3 pages of apps, i could easily fill up to 9 pages, especially with all the free apps available. i wonder why apple would limit this? if there's some crazy kid out there that wants to buy every single game available, that kid should be able to put all of that in the iPhone (maxing out the space available)... apple would profit from this... the only downside i see is that the iPhone doesn't have enough memory to run too many apps, especially with the 3rd party application push that's supposedly coming out soon...

or maybe apple simply wants you to switch apps in iTunes, because the more frequent you visit iTunes, the more apple can potentially profit from you.

jmpage2

macrumors 68040
Sep 14, 2007
I think that no matter how many pages Apple had on the iPhone you could find someone who said it wasn't enough, just like people saying the 16GB storage isn't enough.

In other words, no matter how much storage/pages/etc the iPhone has you will find users complaining that it limits their use of the device.

eplchamps0304

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2008
I think that no matter how many pages Apple had on the iPhone you could find someone who said it wasn't enough, just like people saying the 16GB storage isn't enough.

In other words, no matter how much storage/pages/etc the iPhone has you will find users complaining that it limits their use of the device.

your statement makes no sense. You are comparing a storage capacity to pages? There is no logical reason why the number of pages should be restricted, you should be allowed to download as many apps as you desire. This is just apple being apple.

ryanwarsaw

macrumors 68030
Apr 7, 2007

But there are countless solutions that could be implemented to make more space for apps. The memory is a hardware limitation and is completely different.

I think a few suggestions such as being able to scroll pages up or down or maybe make folders with pretty icons on the springboard are good. Regardless of the page limitation folders should be used. I can put all of my apps on the desktop of my mac but I don't. There is a reason for this. It would be too cluttered much like people are complaining about managing apps on the phone now.

Steve himself said (while keeping a straight face) that there are over 3,000 amazing apps available now. If that is the case then the limit of less than 200 apps is bogus. I am sure they are probably thinking about this now. At least I would hope so.

The attitude of I don't need it so it shouldn't exist of many people here is tiresome.

diesel

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2007
But there are countless solutions that could be implemented to make more space for apps. The memory is a hardware limitation and is completely different.

I think a few suggestions such as being able to scroll pages up or down or maybe make folders with pretty icons on the springboard are good. Regardless of the page limitation folders should be used. I can put all of my apps on the desktop of my mac but I don't. There is a reason for this. It would be too cluttered much like people are complaining about managing apps on the phone now.

Steve himself said (while keeping a straight face) that there are over 3,000 amazing apps available now. If that is the case then the limit of less than 200 apps is bogus. I am sure they are probably thinking about this now. At least I would hope so.

The attitude of I don't need it so it shouldn't exist of many people here is tiresome.

I agree with you. it's less about max number of apps on the various screens but more about the efficient organization of the apps on the screens. i second the idea of folders. i would like to organize my apps into various folders even if that means an extra click or two to access a specific app

edtorious

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2007
San Diego, California
if you want, you can jailbreak your Iphone 'cause jailbreak has this app where you can put your apps in a folder by categories like games, music, medias and so in my jailbroken Iphone I use to have 6 pages of apps and now just down to 2 pages because of this. :cool:

samiwas

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2006
Atlanta, GA

The attitude of "OMG Apple sux and doesn't listen to users and is screwing me by not letting me do everything I want" is getting a bit tiresome as well. While I don't have anywhere near enough apps to fill up 9 screens, and I can't even imagine having that many apps because most of them don't seem all that useful, some people might well fill up that space. I agree that there could be more pages allowed.

But instead of some boring same ol' tirade about how Apple screws it's users, how about just accepting that the next release probably will allow more screens.

sotied

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2003
Boston
Just got to the point where all my apps won't fit.

Did this partly to see if the OP was right about what happens when you fill up all nine pages.

I have JB the phone, so I'm gonna now use Categories and organize my stuff. But the solution should be (and probably will with an upcoming release) to add folders and maybe make the pages vertically scrollable.

Apple makes fixes that help in most cases. Did anyone notice that the LightSaber is back up after being knocked off a few weeks ago. Go GRAB IT!

Later!

ScottyG

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2008
UK
Hey everyone, been browsing this forum for months and finally got round to registering. This is my first post so go easy on me!

Firstly, I don't get all the bashing of the thread starter, if the guy wants 9 pages of apps then that's his prerogative isn't it? S'up to him surely?!

This categories thing when you jailbreak (not yo up on jailbreaking :confused:), does that basically allow you to have one icon, "games" say for example which can hold all the games i choose to have? By tapping that icon does it open another page with all the game icons? Sounds like a good way of cleaning up my iPhone!

Loving the forum by the way, passionate bunch aren't ya! ;)

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
This categories thing when you jailbreak (not yo up on jailbreaking :confused:), does that basically allow you to have one icon, "games" say for example which can hold all the games i choose to have? By tapping that icon does it open another page with all the game icons? Sounds like a good way of cleaning up my iPhone!

Welcome to the forum!

I think categories, or folders will happen.

And it would be easy to implement. How about - flick up and down on the homepage to switch from category to category, then flick left and right to switch from page to page within that category.

iblastoff

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2008
Welcome to the forum!

And it would be easy to implement. How about - flick up and down on the homepage to switch from category to category, then flick left and right to switch from page to page within that category.

what do you mean you think categories will happen? its been available for a while now.

ScottyG

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2008
UK
Welcome to the forum!

Thanks for the welcome!

Sounds like a nice idea but would maybe need another feature, a feature i think is needed now. How about a single press of the home button to take you back to the home page. No big deal i know but at the moment when you're on say page 4 or 5 (or whatever) it would be nice to be able to press "home" to take you back to home page rather than swiping back?!

Kind of the reason i like the sound of this "categories" if i'm understanding it right!

zachplaysguitar

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2008
Richmond, VA
There seems to be a common theme among threads regarding missing features.

There are those who complain that apple is screwing them and those that think every decision apple has made is the absolute best for every consumer.

Personally i don't understand why there would ever be any limit for the number of apps besides the actual storage capacity of the phone. If i want to have 16gb of apps who cares? While i only have 3 pages, i do understand the argument against the limit.

I dont think the OP deserves to be attacked for wanting more apps, only because you dont think theyre necessary. Last time i checked it was his decision and not yours. If you only want 2 pages of apps, only have 2 pages on your phone, but i dont think its necessary to give someone so much **** for wanting something different than you.

yalag

Suspended
Nov 18, 2007
There seems to be a common theme among threads regarding missing features.

There are those who complain that apple is screwing them and those that think every decision apple has made is the absolute best for every consumer.

Personally i don't understand why there would ever be any limit for the number of apps besides the actual storage capacity of the phone. If i want to have 16gb of apps who cares? While i only have 3 pages, i do understand the argument against the limit.

I dont think the OP deserves to be attacked for wanting more apps, only because you dont think theyre necessary. Last time i checked it was his decision and not yours. If you only want 2 pages of apps, only have 2 pages on your phone, but i dont think its necessary to give someone so much **** for wanting something different than you.

Yes they do deserve every bit of **** forced down their throat. If you want 16gb of app who cares? Well guess what, YOU would care in the end. Because suppose Apple lets you have unlimited pages of app, how would you show the dots at the bottom? How would you shuffle icons from one end to another at 50 pages? How would you EVEN locate that one app you wanted without spending 10 min scrolling? See how all these and more problems can come up? As a user you are not aware of all the design/implementation problems that can potentially exist. In the end, if those are not addressed, guess who will be whining the LOUDEST at apple like a baby again? Yes, that's right, YOU. So stop crying and understand that everything is already thought through by apple and decided what is best for you. Anything missing on the iphone is not an oversight, it was intended (with or without you knowing it)

eplchamps0304

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2008
I just think it's another one of those things apple overlooked, just like potrait mode emailing. The UI because of it's simplicity has it's limitations. It's a joke, such a great device and it's lacking simple things. I will never understand.

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
So stop crying and understand that everything is already thought through by apple and decided what is best for you. Anything missing on the iphone is not an oversight, it was intended (with or without you knowing it)

You clearly have never worked in a hardware or software development company!!! :p

ryanwarsaw

macrumors 68030
Apr 7, 2007
The attitude of "OMG Apple sux and doesn't listen to users and is screwing me by not letting me do everything I want" is getting a bit tiresome as well. While I don't have anywhere near enough apps to fill up 9 screens, and I can't even imagine having that many apps because most of them don't seem all that useful, some people might well fill up that space. I agree that there could be more pages allowed.

But instead of some boring same ol' tirade about how Apple screws it's users, how about just accepting that the next release probably will allow more screens.

Well I didn't need the new feature genius but don't mind that it is there for others to use. I am actually for any feature being added. Whether I use it or not is irrelevant. I didn't go on any tirade as 90% of my post was proactive in suggesting a solution. Once again a very negative person with no solutions has a knee jerk reaction and instead of saying anything of merit launches into their own tirade.

FWIW it is worth I think you are wrong about allowing more screens. As I suggested in my previous post it is becoming about organization not available screens. If they add 10+ pages I will be the first to admit I was wrong. Apple adding pages was a stop gap measure until they can add folders or another alternative.

ryanwarsaw

macrumors 68030
Apr 7, 2007
Yes they do deserve every bit of **** forced down their throat. If you want 16gb of app who cares? Well guess what, YOU would care in the end. Because suppose Apple lets you have unlimited pages of app, how would you show the dots at the bottom? How would you shuffle icons from one end to another at 50 pages? How would you EVEN locate that one app you wanted without spending 10 min scrolling? See how all these and more problems can come up? As a user you are not aware of all the design/implementation problems that can potentially exist. In the end, if those are not addressed, guess who will be whining the LOUDEST at apple like a baby again? Yes, that's right, YOU. So stop crying and understand that everything is already thought through by apple and decided what is best for you. Anything missing on the iphone is not an oversight, it was intended (with or without you knowing it)

Are you supposed to be taking medication? The phone is limited to how many apps it can have because of how many dots the main screen can comfortably hold?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.