iPad mini Read Before You Seek rMini In-Store

Discussion in 'iPad' started by willentrekin, Nov 13, 2013.

1. willentrekin macrumors member

You can't just walk in, buy, and walk out with the retina iPad mini.

After discovering online ordering went live yesterday and having heard that supplies were constrained, I placed my order via Apple.com when I saw the 1-3 day shipping designator--didn't realize it was shipping from China and 1-3 shipping days meant several-to-ten to arrival. Then I looked at my current, non-retina mini usage and noticed I'd neared 20gb in apps, none of which were retina, and decided I should probably get the 64GB version anyway.

After work today, I went to my local Apple store (in the Shadyside neighborhood of Pittsburgh). I'd checked online and status was that the iPads were available for in-store pickup.

Problem is, apparently, they're not yet available for in-store purchase.

I walked in, ready to pull out my wallet. Instead of just getting my iPad mini from the back stock, the sales guy led me over to the wall, where I had to use one of their MacBook Pros to place an order via the store on Apple.com and choose in-store pick-up. I then had to wait half an hour, in the store, for the order to process, and for Apple to send me an email that my iPad was ready for pick-up.

Only then was I allowed to purchase one.

I commiserated with several of the sales personnel. There was no portion of the process that required them for anything, so it wasn't like the guy was playing me for commission. Apparently, the supplies ARE constrained, as has been the rumor, so to prevent people from scooping up several at a time, they're implementing this process. They told me they did the same with the iPhone 5S--at least in that particular location.

So if you want the iPad mini with Retina display from an Apple store, make sure you place the order online first. I wish Apple had mentioned that somewhere ahead of time.

2. ob81 macrumors 65816

ob81

Since your account is kind of new, I forgive you for this. Before someone comes in being rude - Everyone already knew this m8. At least everyone here.
    Please don't get discouraged, we need more people like you to keep posting.

Peace.

3. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Didn't realize you couldn't go in and walk out with one without doing it online. That don't work too well if someone wants to pay cash. Yeah they should put something up on the site to let people know.

4. BC-2 macrumors member

BC-2

I found this out the hard way yesterday. Walked in ready to buy only to be told what you mentioned. Only thing was I didn't get my "ready to pick up" email until 2 and a half hours later. I had given up after waiting an hour and went to dinner. Eventually got the email and came back and picked up my rMini.

5. kmichalec macrumors 6502a

Check Best Buy. I called three of them tonight, and all three had some models in stock, but just not the right one I was looking for. This in the Metro Detroit suburbs.

6. freechef macrumors newbie

I'm typing on my mini retina as we speak. Walked right into a Best Buy in Long Beach last night.

7. ZipZap macrumors 601

If it says 1 to 3 days coming from China makes no difference.

8. lelisa13p macrumors 68000

lelisa13p

I was out running errands this afternoon and checked out the order process on my iPhone, also checking one of my local Apple stores (there are 3) to see if they had product available. Site said they did so I paused the order process and drove to the Apple store.

I finished placing the order while I was in the store via my iPhone and now product showed as unavailable. WTF? Someone bought them all in the 30 minutes that it took me to drive there? Was told that an email would notify me when ready for pickup. I didn't mind so much since I have an appointment nearby tomorrow and could pickup afterward. I drove home.

I checked my email as soon as I got home and the pickup email was there, time stamped 30 minutes after I placed the order. I should've hung out at the mall but who knew? Back I went to the store and now I'm preparing to setup my new iPad Mini-R. :)

tl; dr: Place your order thru the Apple store, checking to see if product is available at your preferred store. If product is there, wait for an hour to see if your email comes before you head to the store. Enjoy new toy. :cool:

9. Roy Hobbs macrumors 68000

Roy Hobbs

I also walked into an Apple Store to day and walked out with a Retina Mini.
    No online purchase with in store pick up was needed. I was in and out of the Apple Store in 5 minutes or less.

10. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

11. willentrekin thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, that's alluded to, at best. It's a shame they're not more up front about it. But it sounds like mileage varies. Funny, I'm a pretty avid reader of tech blogs and forums--if, apparently a newb as a poster--and this was first I heard of anything.

That said, I'm writing this on my new mini. The retina difference is just stunning.

12. evasquez7 macrumors member

You do know that there are no retina specific apps right? They are all the same.

13. lelisa13p macrumors 68000

lelisa13p

Where did that come from? :rolleyes:

14. evasquez7 macrumors member

He says he has 20 gigs of apps filled up on his current ipad that aren't retina.

15. lelisa13p macrumors 68000

lelisa13p

I see that now. :)

16. willentrekin thread starter macrumors member

Oh, really? I hadn't. I can't remember where I've read that apps optimized for retina displays require more memory because they have higher resolution images/graphics. You make sense, though; I couldn't figure out why my iBooks app was taking up a full gigabyte of space. That seemed ridiculous.

Also, I can watch higher-def movies, the storage of which requires greater space. Or is that incorrect, too?

Thanks for the info!

Still glad I upgraded the memory, though.