Read this article about 3g battery life and stop whining

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by thaprofessor33, Jul 13, 2008.

1. albeli macrumors 6502

albeli

Cool.

Of course, my iPhone just died at the end of a day with no charge-ups. I need to go get a car charger tomorrow (the one I have for my iPod doesn't work).

2. View macrumors regular

3. View macrumors regular

It still ticks me that Apple decided to drop the support of older iPod accessories

4. GNice macrumors 6502

5. loskickking23 macrumors 6502a

Thanks for posting that.I knew that info was out here somewhere.I hope people will feel a little better.

6. junebug1 macrumors regular

Agreed. I don't have any issue with how long the battery has lasted the past few days. Finally something to back up what I've known and to hopefully shut a bunch of the people who will not stop crying up...at least until they find something new to nit pick. Thanks for the post.

7. dangleheart macrumors 6502

Is that 5 hours plus just for voice or surfing? If it is just for voice, that is bad, no matter whether it is better than others or not. Can someone clarify please. I have not upgraded to Iphone 3G yet but thinking about it to see if I get better cell reception in my area

8. djwobble macrumors regular

So we are supposed to believe this article just because PC World published it?

I think it is disturbing to know the battery life changed a lot when 3G was introduced into the equation. Even if it is true, the 3g iPhone has the longest battery life over all of the 3g phones tested - the customers are unhappy and they will continue to whine, thats the bottom line. Customer Satisfaction.

9. junebug1 macrumors regular

If a bunch of people have a problem with the battery life of the iPhone 3G then I think its a simple solution...stick with / hit up ebay for the original iPhone. Double the battery life...Triple the load times. Love your 10 hours of battery life and your laggy EDGE and I will love my 5 hours and snappy 3G. Customer Satisfaction! OR better yet just turn off the 3G!

10. Balty macrumors 6502

Balty

11. ScottFitz macrumors 6502a

I've been using an ATT Tilt for a while now. I'm used to charging every night. I've gotten used to automatically connecting my car charger to my phone each time I get in. It's the price you pay.

12. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

I am not sure why people are surprised by the battery life

We were told what it would be and even then people should expect it to be a tad less than that especially as time goes on

The original iPhone lived up to its billing as a solid but far from great battery life

The 3G follows what it promised

13. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    The case is closed shut only on the iPhone. Other phones can swap batteries on the fly and/or can easily put in a much bigger battery.

Notice the Instinct comes within 5 minutes of the iPhone 3G, the latter of which has at least a 10% larger battery.

Ditto for many of the other phones, which were tested with their stock 900 or 1000 mAh batteries, yet can take up to 1800 mAh replacement batteries (albeit thicker)... in other words, twice the battery capacity.

As for people complaining about the complainers... remember that Jobs said that Apple couldn't put 3G in the first phone because it sucked too much battery. Therefore everyone (who was naive enough to believe Jobs) thought it would only get 3G when battery life was stupendously better. In fact, it's about the same as it would've been a year ago.

14. goodcow macrumors 6502a

And pay $15 more a month! ($10 for data, $5 for the 200 SMS originally included)

This solution is bull.

15. alhkim macrumors newbie

I have also been using the Tilt (until tomorrow, when I will get the iphone) and at best, with the 3G on all day, I will get ~ 12 hrs of battery life with average use.

16. Dammit Cubs macrumors 68000

Dammit Cubs

I got a solution for Ya... Don't sign the contract.

17. djrobsd macrumors 6502a

Here's another solution. Return the phone and cancel the contract!!!! You still got 28 more days!!!

18. djrobsd macrumors 6502a

I think this sums it up right here:

"In contrast, the EVDO technology on which Sprint and Verizon base their 3G networks supports data only; voice uses older CDMA networks, which (in theory at least) use less power."

So, if Apple could add a firmware update to the iPhone in the future which says "Use EDGE for Voice", I think that might actually significantly improve battery life. Basically when you make a call, the phone could turn off the 3G functionality, and then automaticaly turn it back on after the call.

The reason WHY calls sound so clear on the iphone is because we are on 3G. The older EDGE and CDMA networks sound very compressed on the audio, but when talking to anyone on 3G, it sounds like you're using a landline which is just awesome (but sacrifices battery).

19. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

Agreed. Feel you have been cheated? Robbed? Bring it back. You have time and are allowed to do such.

20. aussie.damo macrumors regular

Case closed eh? I think there are people who have a legitimate problem with the batteries on their iPhone, myself included. I suspect I have a faulty battery, as I get a maximum of 8 hours standby time with less than an hours usage. I have done all tests, including restoring (twice) and disabling various services.

Just so we're clear, I get the 8 hours standby when the phone has:

WiFi disabled;
    3G disabled;
    Location services OFF;
    Bluetooth OFF;
    Push OFF (no mail accounts set up);
    Screen dimmed to about 30% with auto brightness OFF;
    No music loaded;
    No websites surfed;
    2 phone calls made, totalling less than 10 minutes between them;
    1 text message sent, 1 received.

Yes, I have called the store I bought it from, no they aren't interested in helping. Have had to call Apple directly and they are sending me a box so I can return it to them.

Damo

21. Rynology macrumors regular

Rynology

Very similiar situation for me. I had a fully charged phone when I left in the morning 8:15am. Did some light browsing and used AIM. Totaling maybe 1.5 hours. I talked on it maybe 2 minutes. By 4:30pm I was getting low battery messages. I was really surprised by this. I'm wondering if AIM chews up massive battery. Like the guy above I had all the things turned off, Wifi, 3G etc.

22. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

Read this. It's a pretty nice guide to saving battery life on your new 3G iPhone. (I don't work for Gizmodo!)

23. November macrumors regular

I don't see what a single obviously defective unit has to do with the "case".