Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Readdle today updated its popular PDF Expert app for the Mac to version 2.2, overhauling the app and adding new features to make editing and annotating PDFs even easier than before.

New editing tools automatically detect the font, size, and opacity of the original text in a PDF document, so PDFs can be edited more like regular text documents for a much quicker editing experience.

pdfexperttoolbar.jpg

Readdle has also introduced a new toolbar layout that's specialized for tasks like going over a contract or reading an article, with options for viewing several pages of a single document, comparing two documents, and more.

To make searching faster, version 2.2 of PDF Editor includes search indexing, plus the ability to search all opened files and save history has been added.

pdfexpertsearch.jpg

PDF Expert for Mac can be downloaded from the Mac App Store for $59.99. [Direct Link] A non Mac App Store version is also available from the PDF Expert website.

Article Link: Readdle's PDF Expert for Mac Gains Improved Search, New Toolbar Layout

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Readdle is also giving away five free licenses to PDF Expert. You'll need to download directly from the PDF Expert site (not through the Mac App Store) and use one of these at the "Enter License" step:

[All codes have been used]

Please post here if you successfully use one so that others don't waste time downloading if they're all gone.

Last edited:

Uvitra

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2010
Readdle is also giving away five free licenses to PDF Expert. You'll need to download directly from the PDF Expert site (not through the Mac App Store) and use one of these at the "Enter License" step:

id224012240162uks
id259053798904uks
id944032323034uks
id356099885795uks
id573776308959uks

Please post here if you successfully use one so that others don't waste time downloading if they're all gone.

Fourth one works!

joemac92

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2017

id224012240162uks
id259053798904uks
id944032323034uks
id356099885795uks
id573776308959uks

Used the first code. Thanks for the code

zzLZHzz

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2012

id224012240162uks
id259053798904uks
id944032323034uks
id356099885795uks
id573776308959uks

Used the last one id573776308959uks
Thanks

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
And they're all gone...enjoy, and sorry to those who missed out!

Fall Under Cerulean Kites

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2016
PDF Expert is a great app. I purchaed it about a year ago and have been quite pleased. I typically use quick look or preview just to view PDFs, but any markup, editing, or annotation is done in PDF Expert. I had a “borrowed” copy of Adobe Acrobat Pro vWhatever, and I’ve been so much happier with PDF Expert. No more Adobe PDF anything on my mac.
[doublepost=1489071901][/doublepost]
I already own PDF Expert but I just got an email from Readdle saying I can "Claim my $10 discount". ?? WTF

I received a similar email. The text in mine actually said:

Readdle Team said:
Since you already use PDF Expert on iOS we are happy to give you a $10 discount for the full version.

I had downloaded PDF Expert for iOS previously, although I do not currently use it or have it installed. I’m curious how Readdle knows that I downloaded the iOS app. Maybe there was some sort of “cloud account” that I logged into for the purpose of syncing files.

The PDF Expert license was purchased through another email address, and direct from Readdle, so they would have no way to cross-reference my purchase to the email address to which they sent the $10 offer.

Last edited:

Gizmotoy

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2003
Just bought PDF Expert 3 months ago. The $50 upgrade cost seems really, really steep.

I really like the version I have, but there's no way to justify spending $100 over the course of a few months to keep it up to date. They have sales on it with some regularity, and there's likely to be more savings than the measly $10 they're giving to existing customers.

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
I got this for the introductory price (via the Mac app store) a little over a year ago, and it has turned out to be a great deal. I use it for both reading and editing/annotating PDFs. I was originally planning to migrate my Windows license for Acrobat Pro to the Mac, but PDF Expert does everything I need and is much more pleasant to use and lightweight (with no "activation" DRM hassles). Even at the full price it's a very good deal IMO.

khillebrand

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2017
Any idea if owners of the previous version will lose functionality if they don't upgrade?

I ask because I believe this is what happened with our prior version and we had to upgrade.

Thanks!

Analog Kid

macrumors 603
Mar 4, 2003
Just bought PDF Expert 3 months ago. The $50 upgrade cost seems really, really steep.

I really like the version I have, but there's no way to justify spending $100 over the course of a few months to keep it up to date. They have sales on it with some regularity, and there's likely to be more savings than the measly $10 they're giving to existing customers.
You sure it's a paid update? I'm pretty sure I just updated for free...

Gizmotoy

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2003
You sure it's a paid update? I'm pretty sure I just updated for free...
I'm not at home, but I'll try when I get back.

The email said the $10 off was "Since I already use PDF Expert" and contained instructions for "How to upgrade?", so kind of assumed it was a paid upgrade. Otherwise why bother with the email or upgrade instructions?

You're right, though, it might just be a confusing email.

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
I'm not at home, but I'll try when I get back.

The email said the $10 off was "Since I already use PDF Expert" and contained instructions for "How to upgrade?", so kind of assumed it was a paid upgrade. Otherwise why bother with the email or upgrade instructions?
It's not a paid update. Is your email perhaps referring to the iOS version of PDF Expert (i.e. an offer to get the Mac version for a discount if you own the iOS version)?

Gizmotoy

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2003
It's not a paid update. Is your email perhaps referring to the iOS version of PDF Expert (i.e. an offer to get the Mac version for a discount if you own the iOS version)?
Well... email also says at the bottom "P.S. Do you have PDF Expert for iPad and iPhone? If not, check it out here." Sounds pretty unusual. Not sure how the email was generated, then. Guess I was simply misled.

Glad to hear it's a free update, though. That's great.

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
Don

Don't know how they compare, but pdfPenPro has been very good for me. Customer service is excellent and I ditched Adobe Reader already for years, because printing anything was taking forever. UI isn't good either.

BTW: For those who need unlocking google guapdf.= guaranteed unlock. Responsive developer.

Reactions: darrylsvochak

Suspended
Mar 15, 2008
PDF Expert is one of those apps that's worth every penny. It's so much better than Mac's Preview and much less costly that Adobe Acrobat. The features are awesome and with this new update, it does just about everything I need it to. Creating forms would be nice but I don't have to do that too often and I would certainly pay an upgrade fee for it. It's a full replacement for Acrobat at that point.

Last edited:
Reactions: Michaelgtrusa
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.