Reading Comic Books on the iPad 2 is Amazing!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by 9OOYO, Mar 29, 2011.

1. 9OOYO macrumors regular

I have to be totally honest here. The primary reason for buying my iPad 2 was to read comic books and I waited for version 2 just because I figured it would be a bit faster etc... . I'm glad I did because it shines as a comic book reader!

Along with the comics, games (Infinity Blade etc...) and everything else it has to offer, I'm having more fun with the iPad 2 than I remember having with any device. I take it everywhere!

If you're on the fence about your iPad 2 for comic books, don't hesitate! Highly recommended!!!

2. Mattstkc macrumors 6502a

Mattstkc

Are you using the DC or Marvel apps or both? Do you do the subscription plans and is it worth it?

3. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

4. 9OOYO thread starter macrumors regular

But its a very nice comic book reader...LOL.....that does games, email etc...
    And holds hundreds of comic books while I'm on the road.

5. 9OOYO thread starter macrumors regular

I have the Marvel app and reading the comic books is awesome. My problem with it is that it does not include the digital unlimited subscription (so I paid separately for that).

The bummer is, now that I have the iPad, I never use the digital unlimited subscription. Chances are I'll just be doing away with it in the near future.

Individual comics are pretty steep digitally. If you ask me, they are running their business horribly. I subscribed to the new FF and Amazing Spider Man (hard copies) on Feb 25 and have not received either one yet. It says 6-8 weeks for delivery of first issue....WTF? Who is running the show over there?

Marvel already has a middle man in their equation, why not just use iTunes? If they did so, they could tie their subscriptions in with their rumored storage so you would be guaranteed to always have access to the book via a server. This is the only way I can see paying $2-$3 long term for digital.
    I need a hard copy on a server somewhere so I can always be guaranteed a backup of the book.

I just don't understand why they developed a flash based unlimited subscription reader (and a middle man in comixology to sell their digital copies). I'm sure they could make it a bit cheaper if there was no middle man.

Does comixology offer backup or copies on a server guaranteed to be available if you lose data?

6. Mattstkc macrumors 6502a

Mattstkc

That's lame. I assumed if you got the digital unlimited you could access it using the App! Yeah I don't want to pay $2-$3 per book and not have hard copies, but I'd love to use the iPad to read a digital unlimited subscription, but it looks like that's not possible.

Who is in charge over there? Meh they're too busy making Spiderman 5 and wolverine 3

7. 9OOYO thread starter macrumors regular

LOL...I assumed the same thing and figured out that this was not the case before I bought the iPad. Using gift cards for the Apple store helped me to get the iPad 2. A friend of mine also gave me some old DVD based comic scans Marvel used to sell. They had PDF files of all of the books.

I guess investing money for digital comic book sales might not be their best avenue of revenue. I think they're being short sighted in not developing some type of digital availability for current hard copy subscribers though.

They should give unlimited access to a series online if you're a current subscriber to a hard copy. With a certain number of subscriptions it would be nice if they gave you digital unlimited access.

There has to be a combination of hard copy and digital that can work for them to turn a profit. They don't even release a title on a monthly basis (seems infrequent to me).

8. RadicalxEdward macrumors 6502

RadicalxEdward

I've never really been into American comics much, but like you manga was a big big reason I wanted the iPad. I had been reading them on my iPhone 3G and as many know, that's no easy task.

They look fantastic on the iPad! been using comic zeal and love it!

9. 9OOYO thread starter macrumors regular

I highly recommend comic zeal as well. I'm in the middle of Marvel Civil War and it is blowing my mind!!!!

10. benjayman2 macrumors 6502

benjayman2

I have conquered a big chunk of my vertigo collection thanks to the iPad. There is nothing better for it IMO.

11. 9OOYO thread starter macrumors regular

It will be with me always...until Ipad 3 or 4....LOL

I agree. If you're a comic book reader you must do this. It is amazingly fun!

12. master-ceo macrumors 65816

master-ceo

+1 Bout to load up my backup Of comicZeal rht now on my iP2

13. SoybeanStasher macrumors regular

Yeah, I love reading comics/manga on the iPad too. Since I want to do this as legitimately as possible, I've been using the Comixology and Viz apps. If you wait for sales, you can get prices pretty comparable to trade paperback prices on Amazon (I prefer to not have the paper copies cluttering my house).

I don't feel a huge need to stay current day & date with the printed versions, but sometimes I do want to join in on the big events. It's tough to do this digitally while still supporting the artists. I guess I could buy the paper version and then recycle it/give it away once I procure a scan.

14. 9OOYO thread starter macrumors regular

I was reading a bunch on Marvel digital unlimited before I got my iPad. I don't know how they would leave this out!!!

That being said - Marvel said "if your comic book does not arrive by 4/28 contact us". This is for a FF subscription where the first issue came out on 3/23.

I want to do it legitimately too... however when a company can't even get me a hard copy subscription until a month after a comics appearance in a store it seriously encourages downloading. It's a bummer b/c I buy the online and try to support them.....but the price and even date received are just crazy.

It seems to me like Marvel must not make alot on subscriptions (b/c they are obviously not taking care of their business properly). A digital copy also has to be cheap and accesible enough that it's not even worth it to look for a digital copy elsewhere.

Sigh..........FF issue 1 should be here by 4/28 I guess. It's not the non-timeliness that bugs me...it's the terrible customer service.

15. miamijim macrumors 6502

I have been using ComicZeal since day 1 of the iPad 1 release...

I have so many digital scans of comics on my iMac, literally thousands... And i am so enjoying going through them on the iPad.

Recent reads...

Marvel Zombies
    The Walking Dead
    Preacher
    Marvel Star Wars

Just got the entire Judge Dredd collection....

16. DNAppleGold macrumors regular

In addition to those referenced, I find that comiXologyhttp://www.comixology.com/ has a pretty amazing selection. Lot's of free stuff to get you started.

17. 9OOYO thread starter macrumors regular

If you subscribe with Comixology, do they save a copy on their server for you as a service? That is the one thing all digital comic subscriptions are lacking - a guaranteed backup regardless of device.

18. HiDEF macrumors 68000

HiDEF

The walking dead is a must once I get my ipad!

19. 9OOYO thread starter macrumors regular

I need to forget about the show (as I saw that first).

20. outphase macrumors 65816

I use ComicGlass as a reader. I used to use Bookman and Comic Reader Mobi though. Bookman is pretty good for a free reader but I didn't like how I would have to return to the library every time an issue was over. I used CRM for a long time but really dislike the UI now.

Having watched the show then read all 82 issues, I'd say that the show is a nice companion piece to the comics. There are some new events and characters in the show that are not in the comics, so it's like a slightly divergent view of the general storyline.

There are some characterization elements of the show that actually goes a little deeper than the comics which is nice.

21. Mabus51 macrumors 6502a

All comics purchased through comiXology are saved to your account with them. So you can delete the comic off your iPad and download it again free at a later date. It's tied to you comiXology account. :D

22. 9OOYO thread starter macrumors regular

Love it! Gonna do it!

23. Ramrod82 macrumors member

Ramrod82

Walking dead is great on iPad!! Anyone know where I can get some digital punisher comics??

24. Blarneystone macrumors member

I was looking all over for an ebook version of this had no idea it was in the app store.

Question: I've already got a few issues laying around. Is there a way to scan and import into my library?

25. SoybeanStasher macrumors regular

Comixology had a sale on Walking Dead for $5 a volume earlier this month, which compares very favorably with Amazon. I got every one they offered. Plus now Walking Dead is available at Comixology same day as print. Pretty sweet.