Reading magazines on iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by AutomaticHaze, Mar 19, 2012.

1. AutomaticHaze macrumors regular

One of my major reasons for getting my new iPad, was to read magazines. I downloaded the free copy of Mac life, and when I turn the page it takes it takes just a little while for the page to become an un-pixelated.. But long enough to be a annoyance. Is the the case for everyone? Or is Maclife just graphic heavy?

This is occurring on my new iPad, just wondering if anyone else has the same issue.

2. FamiliaPhoto macrumors 6502a

FamiliaPhoto

I don't read that magazine but Photo District news and Wired don't do that on my new iPad or first generation iPad for that matter.

3. dmacintyre macrumors newbie

It happens on some magazines and not others for me (like an eighth of a page resolves itself at a time). I'm guessing it's an issue with non-retina titles and how the iPad is up scaling them. I expect it to disappear as titles are optimized for retina.

4. AutomaticHaze thread starter macrumors regular

So this isn't normal.. Good. I'll just have to wait for them to be retina ready. It was driving crazy, and I was thinking surely this is not how all the magazines look on the iPad!

5. aleni macrumors 68020

i don't always read magazines on iPad, but when i do, i do it on the new resolutionary iPad.

6. Loopy65 macrumors 6502a

Loopy65

Same issue here ... I'm trying to be patient lol ... It is annoying though!!

7. engelke2010 macrumors 6502a

I've been reading magazines using Zynga for quite a long time. It's never been this horrible. I have to wait way too long for each page to complete rendering. They are supposed to be waiting for Apple to approve the next update. I hope it comes soon. That app is completely unusable right now. YMMV.

8. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

I can only speaking from my experience that.. Reading Sound+Vision on my iPad 2 has no lag at all.

9. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

I read The Daily and Wired on my iPad regularly. The Daily is retina ready, Wired is not. Sometimes The Daily stutters a little bit when you turn a page, but not too bad. Wired usually works without a hitch.

I really think it depends on what publication you're reading.

10. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

I found this after downloading MacWorld. I was a bit "oh" but i'm glad it may get resolved :)

11. PhoneI macrumors 65816

I read Mens Health, and Sport Illustrated on my iPad. Cant wait for the retina update.

12. clborden macrumors regular

clborden

I'm with you on that...For some reason, I'm not reading Men's Health. I know it's not a big deal, but I do find myself ignoring the app now.

13. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

It was actually MacFormat that is slow to render. I've tried another mag and that was fine but looking at it again the MacFormat looked like it was Retina ready if that makes sense.

14. Peanut207, Mar 21, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2012

Peanut207 macrumors 6502

I recommended The Daily. Very nice layout and it looks great with the retina display. Only about $4 per week and you get a new issue everyday.

EDIT: The subscription is $4 per month, not week.

15. tekchic macrumors 65816

tekchic

I think it has to do with the magazine size (in megabytes). I have all my mags in GoodReader but have been forced to use iBooks until they update their app.

When I open a 30mb mag in iBooks, it seems fine, but I've opened full-glossy 150mb cycling or triathlon magazines in iBooks and I get that "chunky" 1/8th of a screen at a time smoothing. Seems to take 3 seconds or so to render the full page with text.

My guess is file size has something to do with it, as I don't notice it as much on the smaller file size mags.

16. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

You may be right. The other mag I downloaded was a sample and it was only 19 pages.

17. clborden macrumors regular

clborden

I'm assuming you mean $4 a month...but you're right. The Daily is a great publication that looks great with the retina display. I love it.

18. Peanut207 macrumors 6502

Yes you're correct, my mistake. $4 a week wouldn't be very good now would it? Lol

19. mwerner macrumors newbie

iPad Magazine Design & Usability

Hello everyone,

As I can see most of you are iPad magazine readers, I was hoping you could take some time and fill out this survey on iPad magazine design and usability. I would really appreciate it. Thank you so much!

http://kwiksurveys.com?s=LMOKLJ_1c467581

20. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

All of my subs are on Zinio. Once a magazine is 100% downloaded flipping pages is actually easier than on a paper mag b/c there is no static electricity to keep them stuck together or annoying "tip in" cards you have to rip out. The only time I have page flip delays is if I'm reading a mag while it's still downloading.

21. jman240 macrumors 6502a

I'd definitely give Project a gander. It's really cool even though the issues are huge. There is usually a free sampler one to try though.

http://youtu.be/hKT-9pkqAdY

I also like Distro from Engadget. Its totally free. Every issue. They're short issues but still nice.

22. kocoman macrumors regular

23. JoeShades macrumors 6502a

24. gameboy213 macrumors 6502

gameboy213

I have to second this. Zinio is now retina ready and works really well. I have 6 subs there and read them constantly.

25. gameboy213 macrumors 6502

gameboy213

I agree. Project is damn impressive.

Distro. Free and nice if you like Engadget.

I have a Daily sub and it is gorgeous. Light news but nice to peruse.