Reading magazines on iPad

AutomaticHaze

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 4, 2008
Texas
One of my major reasons for getting my new iPad, was to read magazines. I downloaded the free copy of Mac life, and when I turn the page it takes it takes just a little while for the page to become an un-pixelated.. But long enough to be a annoyance. Is the the case for everyone? Or is Maclife just graphic heavy?

This is occurring on my new iPad, just wondering if anyone else has the same issue.

dmacintyre

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2011
It happens on some magazines and not others for me (like an eighth of a page resolves itself at a time). I'm guessing it's an issue with non-retina titles and how the iPad is up scaling them. I expect it to disappear as titles are optimized for retina.

AutomaticHaze

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 4, 2008
Texas
It happens on some magazines and not others for me (like an eighth of a page resolves itself at a time). I'm guessing it's an issue with non-retina titles and how the iPad is up scaling them. I expect it to disappear as titles are optimized for retina.
So this isn't normal.. Good. I'll just have to wait for them to be retina ready. It was driving crazy, and I was thinking surely this is not how all the magazines look on the iPad!

aleni

macrumors 68020
Jun 2, 2006
i don't always read magazines on iPad, but when i do, i do it on the new resolutionary iPad.

Loopy65

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2008
Wales, UK
One of my major reasons for getting my new iPad, was to read magazines. I downloaded the free copy of Mac life, and when I turn the page it takes it takes just a little while for the page to become an un-pixelated.. But long enough to be a annoyance. Is the the case for everyone? Or is Maclife just graphic heavy?

This is occurring on my new iPad, just wondering if anyone else has the same issue.
Same issue here ... I'm trying to be patient lol ... It is annoying though!!

engelke2010

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2010
I've been reading magazines using Zynga for quite a long time. It's never been this horrible. I have to wait way too long for each page to complete rendering. They are supposed to be waiting for Apple to approve the next update. I hope it comes soon. That app is completely unusable right now. YMMV.

matrix07

macrumors 603
Jun 24, 2010
I can only speaking from my experience that.. Reading Sound+Vision on my iPad 2 has no lag at all.

spiderman0616

macrumors 68040
Aug 1, 2010
I read The Daily and Wired on my iPad regularly. The Daily is retina ready, Wired is not. Sometimes The Daily stutters a little bit when you turn a page, but not too bad. Wired usually works without a hitch.

I really think it depends on what publication you're reading.

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
So this isn't normal.. Good. I'll just have to wait for them to be retina ready. It was driving crazy, and I was thinking surely this is not how all the magazines look on the iPad!
I found this after downloading MacWorld. I was a bit "oh" but i'm glad it may get resolved :)

PhoneI

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2008
I read Mens Health, and Sport Illustrated on my iPad. Cant wait for the retina update.

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
I found this after downloading MacWorld. I was a bit "oh" but i'm glad it may get resolved :)
It was actually MacFormat that is slow to render. I've tried another mag and that was fine but looking at it again the MacFormat looked like it was Retina ready if that makes sense.

Peanut207

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2010
I recommended The Daily. Very nice layout and it looks great with the retina display. Only about $4 per week and you get a new issue everyday.

EDIT: The subscription is $4 per month, not week.

Last edited:

tekchic

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
I think it has to do with the magazine size (in megabytes). I have all my mags in GoodReader but have been forced to use iBooks until they update their app.

When I open a 30mb mag in iBooks, it seems fine, but I've opened full-glossy 150mb cycling or triathlon magazines in iBooks and I get that "chunky" 1/8th of a screen at a time smoothing. Seems to take 3 seconds or so to render the full page with text.

My guess is file size has something to do with it, as I don't notice it as much on the smaller file size mags.

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
I think it has to do with the magazine size (in megabytes). I have all my mags in GoodReader but have been forced to use iBooks until they update their app.

When I open a 30mb mag in iBooks, it seems fine, but I've opened full-glossy 150mb cycling or triathlon magazines in iBooks and I get that "chunky" 1/8th of a screen at a time smoothing. Seems to take 3 seconds or so to render the full page with text.

My guess is file size has something to do with it, as I don't notice it as much on the smaller file size mags.
You may be right. The other mag I downloaded was a sample and it was only 19 pages.

clborden

macrumors regular
May 12, 2009
Derby, CT
I recommended The Daily. Very nice layout and it looks great with the retina display. Only about $4 per week and you get a new issue everyday.
I'm assuming you mean $4 a month...but you're right. The Daily is a great publication that looks great with the retina display. I love it.

Peanut207

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2010
I'm assuming you mean $4 a month...but you're right. The Daily is a great publication that looks great with the retina display. I love it.
Yes you're correct, my mistake. $4 a week wouldn't be very good now would it? Lol

mwerner

macrumors newbie
Mar 28, 2012
iPad Magazine Design & Usability

Hello everyone,

As I can see most of you are iPad magazine readers, I was hoping you could take some time and fill out this survey on iPad magazine design and usability. I would really appreciate it. Thank you so much!

http://kwiksurveys.com?s=LMOKLJ_1c467581

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
All of my subs are on Zinio. Once a magazine is 100% downloaded flipping pages is actually easier than on a paper mag b/c there is no static electricity to keep them stuck together or annoying "tip in" cards you have to rip out. The only time I have page flip delays is if I'm reading a mag while it's still downloading.

jman240

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2009
I'd definitely give Project a gander. It's really cool even though the issues are huge. There is usually a free sampler one to try though.

http://youtu.be/hKT-9pkqAdY

I also like Distro from Engadget. Its totally free. Every issue. They're short issues but still nice.

gameboy213

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
All of my subs are on Zinio. Once a magazine is 100% downloaded flipping pages is actually easier than on a paper mag b/c there is no static electricity to keep them stuck together or annoying "tip in" cards you have to rip out. The only time I have page flip delays is if I'm reading a mag while it's still downloading.
I have to second this. Zinio is now retina ready and works really well. I have 6 subs there and read them constantly.

gameboy213

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
I'd definitely give Project a gander. It's really cool even though the issues are huge. There is usually a free sampler one to try though.

http://youtu.be/hKT-9pkqAdY

I also like Distro from Engadget. Its totally free. Every issue. They're short issues but still nice.
I agree. Project is damn impressive.

Distro. Free and nice if you like Engadget.

I have a Daily sub and it is gorgeous. Light news but nice to peruse.