Real Benchmarks

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by squirrrl, Apr 3, 2015.

1. squirrrl, Apr 3, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2015

squirrrl macrumors 6502a

squirrrl

So considering that the Benchmarks that are now no longer on the Macrumors news feed seem like they are from M-5Y31 and not from the M-5Y51 and M-5Y71 that are supposedly being used in the new rMB, if the results below are true, does this change your mind?

Geekbench 3, 64bit (Single-Core)

Intel Core M-5Y71
    2x 1.20 GHz (2.90 GHz) HT
    2865 (100%)

Intel Core M-5Y51
    2x 1.10 GHz (2.60 GHz) HT
    2569 (90%)

Geekbench 3, 64bit (Multi-Core)

Intel Core M-5Y71
    2x 1.20 GHz (2.90 GHz) HT
    3727 (100%)

Intel Core M-5Y51 Intel Core M-5Y51
    2x 1.10 GHz (2.60 GHz) HT
    3388 (91%)

From: http://www.cpu-monkey.com/en/compare_cpu-intel_core_m_5y71-453-vs-intel_core_m_5y51-454

This would make single core scores on par with 2013 MBA, with multicore 2011 MBA.

2. iRun26.2 macrumors 68000

Those aren't the speed combinations quoted on the Apple rMB web-site. For example, the 1.2Ghz processor turbos to 2.6GHz, not 2.9GHz.

3. squirrrl thread starter macrumors 6502a

squirrrl

True, but they are closer than the ones from M-5Y31. It depends on what Apple does to their chip which we won't know until someone runs real benchmarks on it.

I'm guessing they lowered the turbo on so it could run longer at a higher clock rate without a fan, but who knows. The M-5Y31 is a 0.9 GHz chip.

4. Bonaqua macrumors member

Performance for the Core M chips varies sharply from device to device because of how the manufacturers apply them in terms of performance/thermals. I'm pretty optimistic about how the Macbook is going to perform.

5. iRun26.2 macrumors 68000

I feel pretty confident that the scores will be higher than the April 1st ones we saw yesterday (before they disappeared).

6. Bonaqua macrumors member

Apple are usually very tolerant of higher temperatures when it comes to the implementation of CPU/GPU in their notebooks. Looking at the Anandtech review of the Zenbook UX305 where the thermal limitations were set very liberally by Asus resulted in a chip that outperformed the Yoga 3 in many cases, despite the Yoga 3 having a faster clocked CPU and an active cooling solution.

And I read something about some anistrophic graphene cooling solution in the Macbook which sounds promising. There was somebody who posted some pics from a russian guys twitter account yesterday in the comments of the news piece regarding the Macbook 1.1ghhz benchmarks -- and the russian guy had a 5y71 that benched 2831 on the single core test and 5567 on the multi-core.

I don't know if it's legit, but here's the link so you guys can see for yourselves:
    https://twitter.com/Omelyanko/status/583602411245281281/photo/1

7. iRun26.2 macrumors 68000

Without a doubt,this computer, more than ever before, requires that you try it out with your own software. The fan-less chip's performance is so dependent on what throw at it. Benchmarks are going to be difficult to judge because it operates so differently than other chips.

The keyboard I think will also require some time to get used to. It sounds like the keys have very little travel. I think a quick test in the store won't be good enough. If you think you want the computer but are concerned about the keyboard, I think you need to buy it and give it the 15 day return policy. I think a lot of people will not like the keyboard at first but will get used to it just fine.

8. Bonaqua macrumors member

Good points. In many ways this is what I've wanted Apple to do with the notebook line for years so I'm pretty stoked about getting it ASAP to see how it fits in my workflow. It will also be the first time where I have another Mac to do the heavy-lifting if needed (iMac 5K).

I have also owned a Surface Pro 2 and a Surface Pro 3 (both of whom I think are horrible -- mostly due to battery life, and badly optimized software) and the TypeCover keyboards on those device have very low travel, and it didn't really bother me... what bothered me was the lack of space between the keys. Either way we should all heed your advice and try the device for ourselves to see how it jibes.

9. iKrivetko macrumors 6502a

He represents one of the largest gadget shops in the Ukraine, so it is fairly legitimate, to put it mildly :)

10. squirrrl thread starter macrumors 6502a

squirrrl

Is that the 1.2 or 1.3? It says both 1.2 and 1.3 on the bottom part of that page.

11. Bonaqua macrumors member

The standard frequency of the processor is 1.2ghz but Apple has it clocked to 1.3ghz.

12. squirrrl thread starter macrumors 6502a

squirrrl

Yes... so the question i guess was that he tested the 1.3 BTO upgrade?

13. iKrivetko, Apr 3, 2015

iKrivetko macrumors 6502a

14. Bonaqua macrumors member

Thanks for the translation. That actually sounds fantastic!

----------

http://www.primatelabs.com/blog/2015/03/macbook-air-pro-benchmarks-march-2015/

So the russian guy's scores put it on par with the Macbook Air 2013 with the i7 4650U 1.7ghz processor. I actually had that model and I remember it being a very solid performer. This is looking much better than what I expected. I hope they have the any config with the CTO config in store on the 10th. Would hate to wait even longer. But that will probably be the case.

15. Souli macrumors member

maybe this will stop some of the statements that we heard for the last week. If you take the stuff seriously that some guys wrote here it would seems like the MB would barely be able to even boot:rolleyes:
    There is a reason why there are already Core-M laptops from other manufacturers out there and I hardly doubt those companies would all release one unusable laptop after the other.
    Can't wait to get my hands on the MB:cool:

16. Four by Six macrumors newbie

Hmmm... He doesn't seem to like the keyboard. Google translation: "The keyboard is not right , it's as if put on the table a thin sheet of corrugated cardboard and stick to it."

17. ctyrider, Apr 3, 2015

ctyrider macrumors 6502a

ctyrider

Yep. I have a top-of-the-line 2014 MBA 11" with 1.7Ghz i7 Haswell. These Geekbench numbers are basically neck-in-neck - about 92% of my MBA performance. Amazing if true.

Can't wait until April 10.

Oh, and this Dmitry guy definitely has a real thing:

[​IMG]

18. Bonaqua macrumors member

I wonder if this means there are indeed review units out there. I certainly hope so.

19. dexterbell macrumors 6502a

It depends how it runs what I do in iMovie and CS6. I just picked up a new 2015 MBA (base model) for $949. It has a larger display, much better CPU and GPU, a better keyboard and multiple ports. I don't need the extra storage on the rMB, the extra RAM doesn't matter much to me as I run one app at a time and Im hesitant to sacrifice screen real estate just to have better resolution. The lack of ports really bothers me still. I might still pick one up and try it out though.

20. ctyrider macrumors 6502a

ctyrider

You can run 12" rMB display in 1400x900 HiDPI mode. This gives the same amount of screen real estate in a lot better DPI, as compared to a crappy TN panel from 2009, which is what your MBA has.

21. iKrivetko macrumors 6502a

To be precise, it says "The keyboard feels wrong, as if I were poking a piece of corrugated cardboard on the table".

22. Bonaqua macrumors member

Well... to each his own I guess. I loved the MBA but the screen really frustrated me. The horrendous color reproduction and viewing angles was a big turn off in daily usage -- and the low dpi wasn't helping either.

After the MBA I tried the RMBP 13" which is a great computer but a tad too heavy and cumbersome for my liking (this coming from a guy who used MBP 15, unibody and retina variants, but I never used them as portables and they were my main machines). For some time now I have longed for a portable Mac without a fan and moving parts -- where I can do light-weight work like read and annotate at the same time and bring it with me everywhere without it feeling burdensome in terms of computing sacrifices and portability.

When it comes to ports I have basically not used them for years -- especially on Macbook type of products. On my iMac I only use one port and it is for a mouse that I use occasionally when I want to play a game of Civ. Everything I do on a portable these days is basically streaming media, tasks in the cloud (Evernote), or consuming/producing lightweight documents locally.

I don't really have any kind of tasks or workflow that require any heavy lifting these days either. And if I do I'll just switch to my iMac 5K.

The iPad has been a wonderful device to use through the years -- and I doubt I'll stop using it, but I find it too limiting in some ways and having a lightweight notebook that fills the gaps where the iPad is lacking will definitely be to my liking. I tried using one of those logitech keyboards with the Air 2 but the ergonomics, workflow, screen aspect ratio was just detrimental to my on the go productivity. The iPad has been superior to the Macbook products when it comes to consuming reading material but I think this actually might be the first Mac to actually emulate that specific use case and some of the best parts of iPad usage and maybe even rivaling it while at it. We'll see after the 10th.

Obviously if you're going to have the kind of workflow that requires more processing power and if you need more analogue connectivity, then this obviously is not the best product for your use cases.

Congrats on your purchase and I hope you'll enjoy it -- it's a great device you got there.

23. dexterbell macrumors 6502a

You lose the "retina" when you drop it into 1400x900 resolution. It would be like watching standard definition on a high definition TV, kinda defeats the purpose.

24. pasadena macrumors 6502a

pasadena

You lose the retina ?!? what does that even mean ?

25. Mcdevidr macrumors 6502a

Well you could run it at the full resolution and invest in a good magnifying glass.