Real MBP contender - Samsung 7

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by 2hvy4grvty, Aug 30, 2011.

1. 2hvy4grvty, Aug 30, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2011

2hvy4grvty macrumors 6502

2. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

3. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

should do fine against other windows machines

4. boonlar, Aug 30, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2011

boonlar macrumors 6502

wow those look pretty amazing for the $999 price. I bet these will eat into apples sales tremendously. I just wish they would remove the useless optical drive and make it thinner or put better cooling. If it uses a shared heatsink for the 6750m it's going to get so hot. I wonder if the 14" can have the 6750m, if so I would sell my current laptop and get one.

apparently the 15" is 23mm thick

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2392106,00.asp

5. 2hvy4grvty thread starter macrumors 6502

How the hell are they doing it? 6750m and a quad core for a grand? Samsung?

If the trackpad is anything decent, I'm utterly confused at how they can offer such a laptop without operating at a loss.

6490m, 1600x900, 14 inch screen in a 13 inch package kills the 13" MBP no questions though.

The 15 inch has simply amazing pricing that it doesn't even matter.

6. boonlar macrumors 6502

Protip: Apple overcharges for everything

7. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

We hope you're happy with your new computer.

I must have missed the announcement that any of them can run OSX.

;)

8. pullfocus macrumors 6502a

pullfocus

It seems pretty sweet for a Windows machine.

Regardless, something seems a little familiar about the design....

9. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

That.

I really wonder what conditions are needed to get seven hours of battery life.

And oh yeah, center the damn trackpad.

10. xkmxkmxlmx macrumors 6502a

xkmxkmxlmx

Yeah, sanding doesn't copy apple products at all...

11. 2hvy4grvty thread starter macrumors 6502

80whr battery speaks for itself. MBP has a 77.5 whr battery.

Everyone copies each other. All the better [and worse] for the consumers.

12. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

For me at least, the crazy part of Apple's battery numbers is that their claims are achievable, easily. Windows machines not so much.

13. 2hvy4grvty thread starter macrumors 6502

How so? Power management is power management. Or do you mean Apple computers have poor battery life running Windows? Because I don't think that's a fair comparison.

14. hawk1410 macrumors 6502

Those are really good contenders to the MBPs, HPs Envy series sucked, Dell XPS 15z also sucked. These are just amazing.

15. Jrv macrumors regular

People buy Macs because they want Macs. There really is no foreseeable loss in sales for Apple. There are and have always been MUCH more powerful laptops for a cheaper price than what Apple offers, but people, including myself, opted for the Macbooks because we wanted Macbooks.

16. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

Samsung is the largest manufacturer of electronics worldwide (AFAIK). From wikipedia:
    "In 2006, Samsung Group would have been the 35th largest economy in the world if ranked, larger than that of Argentina."
    That says a lot. I doubt Apple could say the same.

If you manufacture HDDs, SSDs, RAM and other semiconductors, displays and more, you can sell your hardware cheaper than the competition. Apple does not manufacture anything, they just design goods and let others (like Foxconn and TSMC) handle their production. This costs additional money, which you pay for Apples products.

17. GuitarG20 macrumors 65816

GuitarG20

no, he's saying that Apple computers can achieve their claimed battery numbers. I had an HP that claimed 4.5 hours battery life. I never got more than an hour and a half out of that stupid thing.

----------

true, although last time I checked, apple was the most valuable company in the world.

18. swedefish macrumors 6502

Blatant rip-off of the MBP design, but it looks good. I especially like the bezel. The other day I spent some time on my trust PB G4 searching for a long lost file, and I reflected on how Apple was able to make nice and slim bezels back in 2003. I simply can't understnad why they keep the fat bexel on the MBP line, but hopefully fierce competition such as this will prompt a better product from Apple next time they revise the unibody design.

19. ljonesj macrumors 6502a

ljonesj

Yes for some the optical is useless but to remove it so the computer can be thin is not correct look at the ports that the computer uses and the battery they are even thicker that the optical. so basically to make thinner there should be no ports at all usb, Ethernet, fire wire, thunderbolt/display port and even the mag-safe. in all there are still some parts of the country and the world that cant get high speed/ broadband internet as 1 expense 2 or the isp have not run it yet to there areas and satellite is not viable for any speed.

20. AmbiguousNinja macrumors regular

AmbiguousNinja

*Sigh* Time to move the lawsuits up to the laptop level I guess...

21. bigjobby macrumors 65816

vents on the belly. Another great lap-warmer in time for winter.

22. friedkimchi macrumors regular

friedkimchi

Thanks for sharing the news. Specs looks great! Especially the 14'' compared to the current 2011 macbook pro 13''.

1600 x 900 matte screen on a 14''? Insane.

Hoping apple will up their game too.

Really need to upgrade my late 2007 black macbook.

23. Adamantoise macrumors 6502a

Haha not at all.

I bought a Macbook Pro because it was the laptop with the best build on the market.

If this came out while I was looking for a new laptop, I would have bought the Samsung instead.

I didn't buy a Mac for OS X, I actually prefer Windows 7 to be honest. However, I didn't bother to install Windows on my Mac because OS X has every program that I need, and it does some really cool stuff that Windows 7 doesn't.

24. ThirtyThr33 macrumors 6502

ThirtyThr33

You can tout specs all you want but I promise you it will be nowhere near as polished as the MBP. Specs and smooth operating are two different things.