Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lindsayanng

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 4, 2008
East Haven, CT
I didnt get to see the live keynote, but I read enough blogs and threads to have a good handle on the features.. But.. NO MENTION OF REAL PUSH.. Not that i read anyways

So are we finally going to get real push? At least for IMs and reminder type apps.. anyone?

anjinha

macrumors 604
Oct 21, 2006
San Francisco, CA
I didnt get to see the live keynote, but I read enough blogs and threads to have a good handle on the features.. But.. NO MENTION OF REAL PUSH.. Not that i read anyways

So are we finally going to get real push? At least for IMs and reminder type apps.. anyone?

Yes, we now have Push notifications. It was mentioned during the keynote, albeit briefly, and Apple recently had developers test an app with Push.

lindsayanng

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 4, 2008
East Haven, CT
Thanks.. thats all i needed.. I"m surprised that it wasnt mentioned more.. even if it was brief in the keynote, i would THINK some of the blogs would have AT LEAST mentioned it in the features list.. it wasnt on the gizmodo or macrumors one.

anjinha

macrumors 604
Oct 21, 2006
San Francisco, CA
Thanks.. thats all i needed.. I"m surprised that it wasnt mentioned more.. even if it was brief in the keynote, i would THINK some of the blogs would have AT LEAST mentioned it in the features list.. it wasnt on the gizmodo or macrumors one.

Well, it was announced and demoed when Apple first announced 3.0. It's not really a new feature at this point.

lindsayanng

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 4, 2008
East Haven, CT
I would consider it new because ... well.. We dont REALLY have push for applications other than yahoo mail? mobilme?? but no actual applications like IM or calenders

anjinha

macrumors 604
Oct 21, 2006
San Francisco, CA
I meant "not new" in the way that we knew about it since apple announced it in March with 3.0. Most of those sites are discussing new features, that we just found out about (compass, voice control, video recording...)

superxero3

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2008
dumb question i know, but will this work with Gmail? or is that still up to gmail to implement.

lindsayanng

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 4, 2008
East Haven, CT
yea... but it doesnt offer a real push server? Those are for the apps that will have their own server right?? Originally wasnt Apple supposed to host a server that will allow notifications for all apps (with their own server or not) have push notifications?

Isnt that the reason Mobil Me and Yahoo are the only accounts with push?

sseelman

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2007
Does the push notification work with any of the built-in apps - like the app store (for app updates), stocks, weather, etc....?

anjinha

macrumors 604
Oct 21, 2006
San Francisco, CA
yea... but it doesnt offer a real push server? Those are for the apps that will have their own server right?? Originally wasnt Apple supposed to host a server that will allow notifications for all apps (with their own server or not) have push notifications?

Yes, Apple is hosting it's own server for Push notifications and it was announced back in March along with 3.0.

dumb question i know, but will this work with Gmail? or is that still up to gmail to implement.

Yes, that's up to Gmail to implement.

TheCheapGeek

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2008
I think you are confusing push email, callendars, and contacts and push notifications. Push notifications are a way of mimicking background applications with less drain on the battery and processor. Push email is entirely different and is handled on the providers server not the iPhone.

TheKingIV

macrumors member
Apr 14, 2008
Yes, we now have Push notifications. It was mentioned during the keynote, albeit briefly, and Apple recently had developers test an app with Push.

Push with what though?

Tasks and notes for outlook? Calendar, contacts, and mail are pushed but not these for some reason...

kdarling

macrumors P6
yea... but it doesnt offer a real push server? Those are for the apps that will have their own server right??

They have a push server, to forward notifications to your phone from apps that have their own server.

These notifications consist of very short messages, sounds or badges... to you, not the app. It is then up to you to open the related application, which then can go retrieve more info from that app's server.

Originally wasnt Apple supposed to host a server that will allow notifications for all apps (with their own server or not) have push notifications?

All apps that want to send notifications via Apple need their own server.

Those are different. See other replies.

lindsayanng

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 4, 2008
East Haven, CT
No iam not confusing them.. I know that the reason the push EMAIL is the only thing that is working is because they are using their own servers to push the notifications through.. but either way its still a push notification - of an email.

These email accounts are using their OWN push servers to do so.. NOW, what I am wondering is WHEN will the apple server be available for all of the apps to use that want to allow push notifications.. IS THIS something that will definitely be available on the new release?

I just want push IM and calender// thats all

skwoytek

macrumors 6502a
Feb 15, 2005
Apple provides the Push Notification Server, but the app developer still has to send the notification to Apple. It's really not a feature that customers need to be made aware of - it will be a feature of individual applications.

As for reminder and calendar type apps, developers can keep your reminders on their server and send your reminders to Apple's server to then be sent to you. And Apple's push server isn't guaranteed. Therefore that's really not the best solution; although, it's currently the only solution. Apple needs to make an API for the iPhone's internal scheduler, the same one that handles your calendar alerts and alarms. The developers can set your reminders directly to the iPhone instead of handling them remotely. If someone currently owns an iPod touch, they won't get push reminders when they're not on WiFi - internal scheduling would allow this.

And as stated above, email is handled differently. You can turn off push notifications completely and still get yahoo and MobileMe push email. Push email is a specific email technology, unrelated to push notifications (they don't go through Apple's push notification servers). Now if Apple allowed it, any company could create their own email application (or even just a notification application) and service and use push notifications to let you know when you had one. But that application would be separate from the email application.

anjinha

macrumors 604
Oct 21, 2006
San Francisco, CA
Push with what though?

Tasks and notes for outlook? Calendar, contacts, and mail are pushed but not these for some reason...

Because push email and push notifications are different. We already have the technology for push email in the iPhone, but it's up to the providers to offer it. Push notifications is coming with 3.0 but app developers have to update their apps to use it.

No iam not confusing them.. I know that the reason the push EMAIL is the only thing that is working is because they are using their own servers to push the notifications through.. but either way its still a push notification - of an email.

These email accounts are using their OWN push servers to do so.. NOW, what I am wondering is WHEN will the apple server be available for all of the apps to use that want to allow push notifications.. IS THIS something that will definitely be available on the new release?

I just want push IM and calender// thats all

Yes, again, it's coming with 3.0 but app developers still have to update their apps to use it.

lindsayanng

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 4, 2008
East Haven, CT
THAT is all I wanted to know.. REAL PUSH will be available to the developers soo HOPEFULLY apps like AIM and SKYPE will incorporate this so that we can know INSTANTLY who is calling or IMing when it happens.. Like it should have been on 2.1

TheKingIV

macrumors member
Apr 14, 2008
Because push email and push notifications are different. We already have the technology for push email in the iPhone, but it's up to the providers to offer it. Push notifications is coming with 3.0 but app developers have to update their apps to use it.

Hmm, thanks for sharing. I'm curious why the providers offered push with only parts of Outlook and ignored others...

Enigmafan420

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2008
Puget Sound, U.S.A.
Hoping that textfree will get push. If it does, say goodbye to the Death Star's outrageous texting fees.

I am already using it with insomnia (Jail break app). Not the best system and very hard on the battery-but still better than paying any more $$ per month to at$t than I have to.

eddiec312

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2008
Miami, FL
Anyone know if we're suppose to get a push notification for push email like we do for an sms/text? Cause as of right now on 3.0GM on my 3g there is none.

lindsayanng

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 4, 2008
East Haven, CT
THESE are the questions I am asking..

Will ALL mail accounts be push because its running off of gthe same app?? Is is now official that apps can impliment PUSH so that we can get real time updates like an IM ding or a phone ringing on skype?

itsmequinn

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2007
The answer to that is again that the service or e-mail provider needs to support push in order for the e-mails to be push. Apple's push notification service is not really intended to be a solution for push e-mail, but I could see google perhaps creating a gmail app that receives push notifications when you get an e-mail. However, any app like that would be up to google and it would still be different than true push e-mail.

So no, not ALL mail accounts will be push because of this update, but the technology is there so that interested e-mail providers might create a solution that, at least when it comes to gmail, is better in my mind. A push gmail app that notifies you of new e-mails and then launches a full-featured gmail browser app would be awesome.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.