REAL unannounced iPhone OS 2.0 features

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MacFly123, Jun 15, 2008.

1. MacFly123 macrumors 68020

I noticed a few new unannounced features in the iPhone OS 2.0 while watching the WWDC 2008 Keynote:

1) Touch the Menu Bar to return to the top of a list (very nice, I can't find the spot in the keynote when someone does it to take a screen capture but I know it is there, can someone help? I'll keep looking.)
    2) New fold up options button in Google Maps (much better and understandable)
    3) Another new iTunes WIFI icon (Yes as in 3rd from the original)

Anyone else notice anything or know anything they can share with us???

I am starting this thread for fun but it is also good evidence that although Steve went over new features in the Keynote, there are still features coming in 2.0 that were not talked about and that makes me VERY EXCITED :D

My hope is that we will see something new that is at least somewhat significant before or by July 11th like they did with iPhone 1.0 and the YouTube app.

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      69.7 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      177.2 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      208.8 KB
      Views:
  2. MacFly123 thread starter macrumors 68020

3. rolex54 macrumors 6502

4. Josh396 macrumors 65816

Josh396

Unless I'm not understanding you correctly I think number 1 is already on the current iPhones.

5. salimdao macrumors member

salimdao

thats only in the browser. with 2.0, touching the menu bar in the settings, for example, will bring you back to the top.

6. MacFly123 thread starter macrumors 68020

I'm talking about like if you are scrolling through a long list of contacts instead of having to scroll alllllll the way back up you just touch the top Menu Bar (not the a-z letters) and it takes you right back to the top of the list instantly.

I think it was Phil Schiller that did it while demoing in the Keynote, and I have tried it in every app on my iPod Touch and it doesn't do it.

7. MacFly123 thread starter macrumors 68020

Am I seeing that 2.0 also has a dedicated Contacts app icon like the iPod Touch does??? I know they added this to 2.0 in the simulator of the SDK and I think it would make sense to do it on the iPhone 2.0 as well.

I would prefer them to use the new MobileMe contacts icon (pic attached) which I think looks MUCH better than the ugly current one!!! And while you're at it Apple can we get a new icon for Photos? Seriously... what's with the sunflower? lol

Attached Files:

8. pintnight macrumors 6502

I can do that with 1.1.4 in the Safari browser.

9. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

Everything you have mentioned so far has been leaked by some who are testing the 2.0 beta builds.

10. frosse macrumors 6502a

Nah. The "mobile me" edition of contacts only consists of e-mails, thus the "@". General contacts consists of more things, like phone numbers, addresses, other info etc.

Therefore there should be no change :D

11. MacFly123 thread starter macrumors 68020

Haha so how exactly do you feel about the icon for Address Book in OS X then???

Thanks for all the posts people. I would love to see some pics or links of any other new unannounced features anyone has heard of!

12. MacFly123 thread starter macrumors 68020

Read post #5. Apparently in 2.0 it is a global thing.

Well I am just a regular guy that hasn't seen the leaks you are talking about, nor do I have the 2.0 beta, I just notice details, so I think I'm doing ok.

13. frosse macrumors 6502a

Never thought about it as I dont use it. The OS X icon should change as well, THOUGH, the main purpose of a contact book on a computer is usually for e-mail, once again. So it does make sense to use the "@" icon in OSX.

The iphones contact book is used for both e-mailing and calling ppl :)

...wonder about the ipod touch's contact icon. That one should use the "@" icon, since the ipod isnt a phone, really :)

14. jcostaman macrumors member

jcostaman

If I am not mistaken the icon for the itunes store is currently the one you had as the first one. I'm not sure because I have an iPod touch so it may be different but I don't think so... Just sayin'. Correct me if I'm wrong.

One more thing I'm not old enough to pay my own cell phone bills and I'm getting the iPhone 3G. Should I pay the extra 30 bucks to get unlited data or souls I go without the Internet and missbout on the app store? Thanks for the help... I'm new to the Apple community.:D:apple:

15. frosse macrumors 6502a

Without the data there's no need for you to buy the iphone :)

Pay the extra 30 bucks and enjoy real internet* (!)

* Sorta-kinda-almost-without-flash-ish internet.

16. skwoytek macrumors 6502a

Mac Contacts also include phone numbers, dates for birthdays, anniversaries, etc, assistant's names, company, department, IM and notes...

I think they all should be the Address book cover with the person icon. Even Mobileme since I'm sure it will sync all the contact information.

17. skwoytek macrumors 6502a

That's a question only you can answer. Without mobile data you won't have maps to use with the GPS, you won't have internet, weather, YouTube, etc on the go. I don't think you'll have visual voicemail. Some multiplayer games from the AppStore may require an internet connection.

Then again, if you just want to only carry one device then you can have a phone and the same features you get on your current iPod touch.

I say just get the iPhone, you can always add data later if you think you need it. If you have or are getting an AT&T cell phone plan anyway then you get the iPod touch features for $199 w/ a phone included.

18. friekunater macrumors 6502

yeah the icon for the iTunes store is different on an iPod touch compared to an iPhone... wonder why... I like my touch's icon better though!!!!

19. MacFly123 thread starter macrumors 68020

If I had a better picture of the second one I'm sure you could see. But if you look at the 3rd set as compared to the App Store icon you can see that the circular light rays coming out in the background and more like solid lines on the new iTunes icon. The first time they changed it (the second iTunes icon) from the arrow to the music note the light rays in the back were identical to the App Store icon only pink, not they are much more defined like lines as you can see when you look at it next to the App Store icon. See it? I know lol, it is subtle, but I notice things like that.

20. ChefMan1 macrumors newbie

im pretty sure that the data plan is a requirement from AT&T when buying the iphone, so there wouldnt be a choice there, im not positive though heres the page i saw it on http://www.engadget.com/2008/06/12/iphone-3g-everything-you-ever-wanted-to-know-but-were-afraid-t/

21. iphonematt Guest

22. Matty. macrumors newbie

23. born4sky macrumors 6502a

born4sky

24. jcostaman macrumors member

jcostaman

I was watching the keynote again and notced that in the box with SDK on the front, the box is filled with all the iPhone apps right. THE PIC FOR THE ADDRESS BOOK IS THE ONE WITH THE @ SIGN WOOOOOOOOOOO

25. sjjordan macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

Hopefully they'll add the ability, in mail, to condense the "to" list. I got an email yesterday that was sent to over 100 people and my thumb almost fell off trying to scroll down to the message.