Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jobsian

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 30, 2009
Courtesy of the lovely Lisa Gade at Mobile Tech Review (she's becoming my go-to for hardware vid reviews) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yve9TB-fXV8

This Zenbook UX305 has the same line of Core M processors that's in the new rMB, except at 800MHz!, turbo to 2.0GHz (remember we get 1.1GHz, 1.2GHz and 1.3GHz, Turbo-ing to 2.4, 2.6 and 2.9GHz respectively).

Unlike the Yoga Pro 3, this one's also fanless. Some people here are correctly pointing out that the rMB wont be ideal for sustained performance so many common benchmarks aren't that useful, the processor excels more in bursts, similar to actual usage among most folk.

Ok real world performance on this 800MHz machine? Absolutely perfect for my use, no lag in the 1080p youtube video or surfing websites.

She demos internet explorer tabs around 11:30, and even tries Skyrim (low settings) at around 15:20, even that runs better than I expected. Battery for the Zenbook is stated as 10 hours, she gets 9.5!

Only caution so far is that the Zenbook is driving 1,920 x 1,080 pixels, the rMB will be pushing more at 2304 x 1440. That said, Asus are shipping this Zenbook with an optional 3,200 x 1,800 from April, so if they're happy with the Core M pushing that, I can't imagine the rMB will be overstretched.

Color me excited!

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009
And to think some are questioning the performance of the Core M. I always knew it would do just fine.

Queen6

macrumors G4
And to think some are questioning the performance of the Core M. I always knew it would do just fine.

I believe it will, thing is too many are focusing on the CPU frequency, not the functionality. The processor literally sprints to the highest frequency required, then equally as fast returns to a low power state. All this is done before many of the Core M`s predecessors even wake up.

Q-6

crsh1976

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2011
Did anyone actually expect this chip to fail at playing 1080p videos? Geez, handheld devices from 2-3 years ago can do that much, it isn't that demanding anymore.

The Core M will suck at multithreaded tasks and gaming; watching videos, Facetime'ing and browsing the web will work fine.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
Did anyone actually expect this chip to fail at playing 1080p videos? Geez, handheld devices from 2-3 years ago can do that much, it isn't that demanding anymore.

The Core M will suck at multithreaded tasks and gaming; watching videos, Facetime'ing and browsing the web will work fine.

Yes, in the thread about using the MacBook as your sole machine many people exclaimed how disappointing it was that the MacBook would skip and jitter when playing 1080p video, but I never saw any post their reasoning for thinking so.

Souli

macrumors member
May 16, 2010

Just read some threads and posts of the last week and you will see. It seems that some ppl think that we will barely be able to even watch a youtube video on the MB without the cpu thermal throttling or stuttering all the time:rolleyes:

danielwerner

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2012
Stockholm, Sweden
Can someone explain what exactly will use the multithreading? I mean, if I have 10 tabs in Chrome open, will that be handled by the multithreading in the CPU or in the RAM? Or both?

swerve147

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2013
That's not even taking into consideration the Zenbook is running Windows. With Apple controlling the hardware and software experience you would expect an even higher level of performance optimization with OS X.

Core M's gotten a terrible rap for some reason.

pasadena

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2012
Seattle, WA

Yes, because people like to think watching Youtube and Netflix requires Deep Blue, and they like to think that what they're doing with their machine is very high-level, pro-user computing. They also love thinking they're smarter than PC manufacturers, especially Apple.

That a low cost tablet or entry level laptop can run a 1080p video doesn't matter. APPLE BETRAYED THEM !

Jobsian

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 30, 2009
1080p is fine but what about 4K?...:D
Might be a different story :p

RE 1080p Youtube video, few tabs open, my MBA (2GHz Core i7 Ivy Bridge) certainly used to skip frames (even at 30fps) and the CPU temp starts its ascent to 100 degrees, fans rev higher and my battery plummets. Situation is better with Youtube going to HTML5. 4k on the other hand is barely watchable. Have a good feel for this machine (988 battery cycles in).

Just an example of why there was some apprehension at this fanless Core M I guess.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
Might be a different story :p

RE 1080p Youtube video, few tabs open, my MBA (2GHz Core i7 Ivy Bridge) certainly used to skip frames (even at 30fps) and the CPU temp starts its ascent to 100 degrees, fans rev higher and my battery plummets. Situation is better with Youtube going to HTML5. 4k on the other hand is barely watchable. Have a good feel for this machine (988 battery cycles in).

Just an example of why there was some apprehension at this fanless Core M I guess.

The Core M is at least 2x more efficient at media decoding than Ivy Bridge. Broadway GPU improves its media engine dramatically over Haswell, which already is a huge improvement over Ivy Bridge. I think that Core M will be able to decode 4K jus fine.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
1080p is fine but what about 4K?...:D

MacBook Retina Generation 2. ;)

----------

The Core M is at least 2x more efficient at media decoding than Ivy Bridge. Broadway GPU improves its media engine dramatically over Haswell, which already is a huge improvement over Ivy Bridge. I think that Core M will be able to decode 4K jus fine.

Agreed.

But where are people getting 4K video content? Their cameras? Is netflix streaming 4K now? I'm behind the times...

TH3D4RKKN1GH7

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2009
MacBook Retina Generation 2. ;)

----------

Agreed.

But where are people getting 4K video content? Their cameras? Is netflix streaming 4K now? I'm behind the times...

I work in film/photo so 4K+ footage is pretty common for me. Netflix and Amazon do 4K just not over the web, only on select UHDTVs.

I really just want one of these bad boys for writing. This iPad Air 2 Belkin Keyboard combo isn't working for me.

mikeo007

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2010
Can someone explain what exactly will use the multithreading? I mean, if I have 10 tabs in Chrome open, will that be handled by the multithreading in the CPU or in the RAM? Or both?

Pretty much everything will use multithreading while it's active. Most processes don't stay active 100% of the time though, so you'll never really be using 100% CPU 100% of the time.

If the computer is doing something constantly (video encode/decode, rendering, etc) then it's multithreading performance is going to suffer because those CPU cycles are being eaten up all the time, meaning less CPU for everything else, and more heat which causes the CPU to throttle down it's speed.

If you just have some idle tabs open in Chrome or you're watching a youtube video and browsing a web page at the same time, you won't see a performance impact. It's when you start doing many more things all at the same time, or something that's very processor intensive.

Jobsian

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 30, 2009
Wasn't aware of that, thanks I hope so!

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
I work in film/photo so 4K+ footage is pretty common for me. Netflix and Amazon do 4K just not over the web, only on select UHDTVs.

I really just want one of these bad boys for writing. This iPad Air 2 Belkin Keyboard combo isn't working for me.

That's mainly what I'll use it for too. My on the go productivity and personal writing device. I'm using an iPad 3 with a Logitech ultra thin keyboard cover right now at my university, but's it gotten kind of old.

Jobsian

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 30, 2009
Yup even youtube does 4k

That's another caution for me, some of the early impressions of the shallow keyboard weren't positive, and I need to be able to type on this thing quickly. Bring on the reviews.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
Yup even youtube does 4k

That's another caution for me, some of the early impressions of the shallow keyboard weren't positive, and I need to be able to type on this thing quickly. Bring on the reviews.

On they keyboard, you probably have to try it - I think that's very personal. I read one review that said "it's like typing on the iPad keyboard." Well, that actually works pretty well for me, believe it or not - so I'm not expecting problems from this keyboard, but YMMV.

Mcdevidr

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2013
It makes sense in smaller screens too. A computer monitor at 21.5 inches 4k would be amazing. Too bad the only 4k monitors are larger.

driftless

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2011
Chicago-area
There are issues with 4K on Youtube and Vimeo on a very fast internet connection and a robust Mac. The streaming 4K issues are often the result of the internet's backbone not being ready for it yet.

Alloy201

Suspended
Mar 13, 2015
A lot of the people on this forum who are bashing the rMB never give a valid reason for their comments about it lacking power to do almost everything. I personally believe it's their way of making themselves feel better about dropping well over $2,000 on a rMBP knowing they won't even use 1/4 of it's power. A lot of rMBP owners buy it to say they have it, not because they actually need even a fraction of it's capabilities. I believe the rMB is slightly overpriced, but it's to be expected with a brand new Apple product. I would rather overpay by around $300 while getting a whole new design than overpay by around $800 for something I have no use for. I currently own a late 2011 MBP and it's plenty powerful enough for my needs. I will even go far as saying getting opinions on this forum is almost useless, there are way too many spec geeks. Everything is a waste if it's not 15" or a quad core. I even see spec geeks telling others to buy an iPad instead of buying the rMB. It's not like they don't run totally different software or anything. I will choose practical over specs every time. I would love to have a rMBP with the new rMB design, but I know it would be pointless for me. That doesn't mean I should go buy a tablet, it just means I don't need something that is made for professional graphic artists.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.