Real world difference between dual-core 13" rMBP and my quad-core iMac

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by PatriotInvasion, Apr 1, 2013.

1. PatriotInvasion macrumors 65816

PatriotInvasion

So, I went ahead and bought the 13" rMBP upon it's introduction last October, selling my mid-2010 27" iMac in the process.

The iMac had a 2.8 GHz QUAD-core i5, 4GB of RAM, and a 1TB HDD. And of course, my base 13" rMBP has a 2.5 GHz DUAL-core i5, 8GB of RAM, and the 128GB SSD.

While the 8GB of RAM and SSD are upgrades, I think I finally noticed the processor downgrade when encoding a movie in iMovie last night. My question is whether or not a 2010 quad-core i5 chip is THAT much more powerful than the dual-core i5 in my rMBP to the point where the time difference of encoding a video would be significantly noticeable? Thoughts?

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Encoding will be done faster on the computer with the fastest CPU (in terms of clock and architecture efficiency) and fastest HDD (reading and writing does take its time).

3. robvas macrumors 68020

If it uses all 4 cores, encoding will show a difference.

4. PatriotInvasion thread starter macrumors 65816

PatriotInvasion

So safe to say that for most tasks, the 8GB of RAM and SSD of the rMBP are an upgrade over my old iMac, but when it comes to encoding video, the quad-core chip of the iMac would be missed even though it was 2 1/2 year old chip model?

5. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Depends....

6. PatriotInvasion thread starter macrumors 65816

PatriotInvasion

Well does the newer Ivy Bridge (dual) mean anything in comparison to the older Lynnfield (quad)?

7. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Like I said, depends. If the application is able to do the multi threaded deal, then yes, a Quad core will win over the dual core. But if the application is not multi thread optimized, then you wont see much difference but the inherent architectural and clock improvements in performance.

8. PatriotInvasion thread starter macrumors 65816

PatriotInvasion

Well as mentioned, the application I noticed a speed difference in was iMovie '11, which I'm guessing takes advantage of all available cores correct?

9. robvas macrumors 68020

Watch Activity Monitor while you're processing and see if all 4 cores get pegged.